What's new

2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey! Does anyone want to know what I thought of the big Jay-Z/Alicia Keys song before the start of game 2 of this WS?

I didn't think so.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't think that A-Rod shot would have gone out, that camera was sticking out way over the fence, and it hit the lens. simple physics.

gotta feel for Ryan Howard. when he's not facing lefty starters, it's AJ Burnett.

these strike zones are so ten years ago.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
oops, scratch that:
"It looked like the camera was out over the fence," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "The umpire told me that before the game that they talked about that, and if it hit the camera that it was going to be a home run."

But Manuel said that if the umpires discussed that among themselves, they failed to notify the Phillies.

"We tour the field during the Series whenever we go to a new ballpark and discuss specific ground rules and potential trouble areas, just like that," crew chief Gerry Davis said. "Because we cannot control what the cameraman does with the camera, one of the specific ground rules is when the ball hits the camera: home run."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/10/31/rodriguez.video.ap/index.html#ixzz0VaRFZtMf

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Man, thank goodness for Feliz and (again!) Utley. I am thrilled that the Phillies tied this game up. But the Yankees are tough as nails, scoring again in the top of the ninth. I really hope that the Phillies win this game. Then, Cliff Lee may get to pitch two more games. :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

I really hope that the Phillies win this game. Then, Cliff Lee may get to pitch two more games. :)

Even with Cliff Lee, I wonder if the Phils can score on AJ Burnett.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Walter C

Even with Cliff Lee, I wonder if the Phils can score on AJ Burnett.
Walter,

You're probably right about that. I'm recalling the Burnett from the beginning of the year, when the Red Sox defeated the Yankees the first eight times they faced them. Burnett (and much of Yankee pitching) wasn't very impressive at that time. But how they turned their team around this year is IMO amazing. They are far and away the best team in baseball this year, finding a way to win in almost every situation -- and especially when it matters most.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
They are far and away the best team in baseball this year, finding a way to win in almost every situation -- and especially when it matters most.
Kinda reminding me of the past Yankee teams in the late 90's, as much as I hate to say it.

Until this year's playoffs, I was never really impressed with Burnett, who was usually injury-prone, and I kept expecting him to implode at some point. But so far, he hasn't!

LewB

Screenwriter
WTF ...

WTF ? Fox puts a camera in the field of play and no one tells them to move it before the game ? I've read that the umps walk the field before the game to look the place over and talk about the ground rules. That should have been fixed before the game started.
WTF is with the umps in the series this year, these are supposed to be the best rated umps ?
WTF Damon, why are you running to 3rd, are you nuts ? Oh yeah, that's the 3rd baseman covering because of the over-shift on Tex when he's batting left handed. Did either Buck or Timmy mention this fact or did Fox show the defensive alignment before the play ? Maybe I missed it.
WTF is Philly doing in that defense with a base stealer at 1st ? Guess they hadn't seen that play back-fire on other teams that over shifted against lefties before ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.