What's new

2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought Fox did a lousy job explaining the shift on Tex during that Damon play. heads up on his part.

Looks like somebody finally found their bats tonight...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't lke the way game six has started for the phils. third inning and Pedro doesn't have much of anything.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Remember what I posted a few weeks ago about snatching up Matsui in a heartbeat? Someone asked me where I'd put Ortiz, while someone else mentioned the slow legs of Hideki. I'd put Ortiz at first, Youkilis at third, and DH Matsui. As for his slow legs, I'd take them. One doesn't need to run too fast when you hit the ball out of the ballpark or when you produce runs as he did tonight in game six of the World Series.

Congratulations to the New York Yankees and their fans. After a slow start, they played much of the year as the best team in baseball. They fully deserve to be called World Series champs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's been a while, but as a life-long Yankee fan that attended his first MLB game at the old Yankee Stadium in 1961, I am very happy in them winning the WS again. It doesn't wash away the disapointment of 2001, 2003 and 2004, but it's awful close.

I feel really good for Joe Girardi because he's taken a lot of criticism from the media and Yankee fans alike. It was a gutsy move to go with your three starters on short rest.

By the way, that Phillies team is a very good team and they're tough to beat as that city should be proud of their effort and going to back to back WS.

Crawdaddy

EricW

Senior HTF Member
not only am i happy the Yanks won, but i'm happy that it was a GOOD SERIES. not one sided at all. many great memorable moments to take away.

as for the game itself, it was semi-tense in the 9th with the final out. Victorino was a tough out and Mo was having trouble putting him away. if he'd have gotten on somehow, it'd be Utley up with 2 on... :)

with Damon having a good series as well as Godzilla, i guess Damon locked in the spot of returning in pinstripes. and with the core Yanks getting that much older, i guess it's understandable they'd want some of them to DH. still, i think Matsui's bat over the season and in post outweigh's Damon's "versatility" (his fielding's only going to degrade next year).

LewB

Screenwriter
What did Godzilla say to Pedro ?

Sionara !
Not sure how Matsui stays a Yankee considering his age and bad knees. He has always been a class act and a professional hitter.

27 !

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yankee fans,

I read recently that Damon is done in New York. Is there any truth in this? It was on the ESPN page less than a week or so ago.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I just knew it would not end well for the Phils, when I had to hear Cole Hamels say that he can't wait for this season to be over, and get to start over next season. That, and constantly throw away chances to score.

I have to give credit to the Yankees. They did what they had to, getting key hits, and as frustrating as it was to watch, Girardi knew what he was doing all along, as he has won this "chess match".

I guess Fringe fans are happy now the Series is over.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,

I heard this (about Hamels) yesterday on the radio. Joe Morgan was commenting on it, and (wisely) wanted to know how it was being reported before he responded to it. It was discouraging to hear a player say that.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Walter,

I heard this (about Hamels) yesterday on the radio. Joe Morgan was commenting on it, and (wisely) wanted to know how it was being reported before he responded to it. It was discouraging to hear a player say that.
I know, and I'm thinking "Hello Cole, you're playing in the World Series, an opportunity of a lifetime!"

LewB

Screenwriter
I tried listening to Sterling in the 9th to get the 'Thhhhhhheeee Yankesssss Winnnnnnn' call, but the stuff he was calling took about 10 seconds to appear on the TV.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For some reason, our local radio Yankee affiliate didn't carry the Yankee broadcasts of the World Series. They DID carry the Sterling/Waldman broadcasts of all the ALDS & ALCS games.

This station is also an ESPN affiliate so they carried the Miller/Morgan ESPN radio broadcasts.

I thought that was strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.