What's new

2006 NFL Fantasy Football Advice Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am leaning towards Colston, but am tempted by Bruce's matchup against Detroit. However, Bruce has not been very productive thus far, while Colston has been consistent (if that's possible after only three weeks).

Since you don't get PPR, then Keyshawn may be the better play over Colston (assuming you get receiving yardage). That's a tough one to decide, though.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I just watched that Indy-Jag game on the NFL Network replay, and I gotta say, Maurice Jones-Drew looked awesome.
I am second guessing my starting Ahman Green over him, but since Green is the only show in Packland, I guess that makes more sense.
I can feel the burn already. MJD going off for a TD and 100 yds....

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wouldn't count on Jones-Drew doing that most weeks. He was being used as the third down/receiving back, and the Jags were playing from behind, so they used him in that role a lot in the 2nd half.

BTW, I drafted Jones-Drew in the final (20th) round on my redraft/money league , since I already had drafted Fred Taylor. At this point, though, I think Taylor is still a better play, especially this week. I don't expect Jax to be playing from behind against Washington, and they will probably try to grind it out on the ground.

That being said, I was pleased to see what Jones-Drew did last week. Hopefully he'll be useful to me at some point this season.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Brady at Cincy or Brad Johnson at Buffalo.

So far Brady has outperformed Johnson, but its suspect. He's got no deep threat and his numbers have actually been not so good...some of which came in garbage time vs the Broncos.

I think he's gonna go belly up this weekend (despite being a true winner in my book). On the other side of the coin, Buffalo at home is no picnic.

The next best QB available is, are you ready for this, Charlie Frye, who despite being 0-3 has put up good numbers. I guess all 12 teams in my league just cant pull the trigger on a Brown QB even though he goes against the hapless Raiders this weekend. I tell ya, I am half tempted to go with Frye over the other two....

thoughts ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would go with Brady instead of Johnson. The latter is my backup QB, but I only drafted him because of his matchup during Carson Palmer's bye week (Johnson plays the Lions at home that week :) ).

Johnson won't give up many points most weeks. Brady will need to throw a lot this week to keep up with all the points the Bengals are going to score.

Good luck!

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Post Mortem and looking ahead:
3 WRs of the following:

Fitzgerald @ ATL
T.J. Houshmandzadeh vs N.E.
Keyshawn @ NO
Cotchery vs INDY
Marques Colston @ CAR

I went with Colston, T.J. and Fitz with 7.1 pts for Fitz. 9.5 pts for T.J. and....23.2 pts for Colston (yea baby)
Cotchery came in with a respectable 12.5 pts while Keyshawn had 6.3 pts.
So I missed out on 3 pts. No biggie, still won the game.

Now to week 5:

T.J.s on a bye this week so 4 to chose from:
Colston @ Tampa Bay
Cotchery @ Jax
Fitz at home vs Kansas City
Keyshawn @ Cleveland.
My RB sitch is not-so-good with Shaun Alexander out, so I need to go with 3 WRS.
Right now, I am feeling Colston, Fitz and.....Keyshawn.
Not feeling Cotchery versus Jax on the road.

Whadda think, Scott ?

Also I almost dropped Tom Brady after his first quarter last week, but he finally showed up as did Deshaun Foster.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I like your choices, Alex. The only one that makes me nervous is Fitz because of the rookie QB starting. However, it's hard to bench a player you probably took in the 2nd round.

My money league team is coming around. I'm now 2-2 after a two loss start (due to injuries to Portis and Steve Smith). This week I'm playing the team ahead of me (3-1) in my division. I have a happy dilemma this week -- too many choices.

My definite starts:
QB: Brad Johson vs Det (Palmer's on a bye)
RB: Portis @ NYG
WR: Steve Smith vs Cle
TE: Eric Johnson vs Oak (Crumpler's on a bye)

Now for three flex positions, I have the choice of:
T Glenn @ Phi
F Taylor vs NYJ
Drew-Jones vs NYJ
Colston vs Tampa
K Jones @ Minn
I Bruce @ GB
Berrian vs Buff

Right now I have Glenn, K Jones and Colston in the lineup. However, I really like the Bruce and Taylor matchups. I'm thinking of benching Colston for Bruce.

Opinions?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
It looks like the Rams offense is coming around, so I would run with Bruce, especially against that horrid Packer D.

I have to pick 2 of these guys to start ar RB. I have no great options as my keeper was Steve Smith and I won last year so I had the last pick. I ended up taking Chad Johnson and that hasn't worked so well, but have clawed to 2-2.

My choices are W.Parker@SD, F.Gore vs Oakland, R.Droughns@Carolina, and A.Green vs St. Louis. I am thinking I will choose Parker and Gore, what do you guys think?

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
HELP! I am 0-4 in my league despite being 5th in points. 2 of the losses were because of substitutions I didn't make (I literally had made the subs last week and chose to hit cancel instead of submit, "no, I'll stick with the guys who have been producing, despite the matchups" Yes, I'm an idiot), the other 2 were against teams who had insane weeks from some players. One of those, I had the second highest points of any team for the year... and, yes, you guessed it, went against the top team that week.

1QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def
QB:Peyton with Kitna as backup
RBs: F Gore, D Foster, R Droughns, M Barber, C Buckhalter
WRs: D Driver, R Williams, A Bryant, E Kennison
TEs: B Watson, Desmond Clark
K: Jay Feely, L Tynes
Def: San Diego, Tampa Bay

Is my team really that bad?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I agree, but my dilemma is who to bench. Kevin Jones is getting a lot of receptions (it's a PPR league), Glenn has been a consistent performer (but he's facing a good Eagles secondary), and Colston has been surprisingly consistent for a rookie 7th round draft choice (and a waiver wire pickup for me). I cannot bench Portis or Steve Smith (never bench your studs!).

Nathan, your team's not terrible, but it does lack studs at RB and WR. You have no #1 RB or #1 WR. It looks like you paid a price at those positions by drafting Manning (probably with your first round pick?). I ran numerous mock drafts before our actual draft, and I never liked the team I ended up with if I took Manning with my first pick. As it turned out, he went before I picked anyway (he went fourth, and I picked 12th). I had decided to pass on him if he had dropped to me, though.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I debated long and hard about manning. It was just that the stud RBs were already gone (Shaun Alex, LT, Tiki and LJ), and I honestly didn't know who to go with next. Portis? McGahee? W Parker? As the stats stand now, I would have been better off with Westbrook, R Brown, Rudi Johnson, or Steven Jackson. Or Portis, but I didn't know that at the time. I figured with my 3 RB rotation, I could play matchups and do okay.. then I was stupid and started Gore instead of Droughns last week. I will never again NOT start someone who is going against Oakland :) WRs have been okay, but losing KC's Green has hurt Kennison. Again, should have started him against SF last week though :) Foster seems to be coming along.

As for your dilemmas this week: Fred T and Jones-Drew may both go for plenty of yards and TDs against the Jets this week. Considering their horrid Running Def, I would try to squeeze at least one of those guys in there. On the other hand, Minny has a pretty decent D and that may prompt you to keep Kev Jones out (though the Det O seems to be starting to click.)

GARY C

Second Unit
Aargh, help please!

I have a tough decision to make in my fantasy league and I need advice.

I have an offer from another owner which consists of my L. Tomlinson, M. Turner and L. Fitzgerald for his T. Barber, B. Westbrook and A. Crumpler.

I have W. Dunn and J. Norwood also at RB so this would make me *really* deep at backs (letting me pick the best matchups every week- which is not always a good thing :) ). For WR's I have D. Jackson and A. Toomer (and Kennsion to back up this weekend) so the loss of Fitzgerald wouldn't hurt that much (unless he wakes up). I also have D. Clark at TE so it's OK that Crumpler is off this week.

My only concern is with Dunn off on a bye and Westbrook questionable this week is this a wise trade to make? Is it even a wise trade in general?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I wouldn't give up Tomlinson for anything. It's Martyball. He rams RBs into opposiong defenses relentlessly. Did you see that 4th quarter Raven game ? Nothing but runs. LT had 27 touches.
If I were you, I'd play Turner and Tomlinson and give up Norwood and Dunn, Fitz too since he's suffering under the Warner/Leinart machine.
That duo is averaging over 28 points per game. I'd take that in a heartbeat for my RBs, plus their bye is over so you can take it to the bank the rest of the year. Remember...it's Marty ball. Run-run-run-run (repeat until dead). And with Rivers in there, he'll ride that into the sunset or until LT gets hurt (my prediction is LT will get hurt before the end of the year).

Cotchery @ Jags
Keyshawn at home versus Cleveland
Fitz at home versus KC.

I already am starting Colston until, well, until its a bad idea.
I am thinking of not playing Fitz. It's a gamble I know, but KC just shutout a 2nd year QB (A.Smith), at home, yes...but I just dont see Leinart putting up big numbers in his first start.
At the same time Cotchery is a gamble to go on the road against an aggressive Jags defense.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
For my 3rd WR on my HTF league:

Galloway @ Nawlins (bad QB situation on this one)
Marcus Robinson against a porous Detroit Secondary or
(possible sleeper pick of the week)
Greg Lewis (PHI) vs Dallas.

Both Westbrook and Stallworth are not going to play (well, Westbrook may be a scratch, but Donte is definitely out) and McNabb has been a passing fool lately. I suspect Lewis might have a big week.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'd go with Robinson over Lewis. Detroit's secondary cannot cover anyone. Lewis has been a huge disappointment in Philly. The only reason he had a big game last week was because Ahmed Carroll was covering him, and Carroll (a former first round draft pick) was released by the Packers after the game. Carroll is a horrible CB. Dallas has a much better defense than Green Bay, and should be able to make Lewis disappear once again.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Thanks Scott, thats some good insider info. :cool:
But would you stay with Galloway over Robinson ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'd roll the dice with Robinson. Galloway has a rookie QB making his first start throwing him the ball this week, and he did nothing when Chris Simms was at QB, either. I'd wait to see what the rookie QB looks like before considering Galloway as a starter again. I'm in the same "holding pattern" with Michael Clayton in both my leagues.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I have this interesting situation developing in one of my leagues.
The guy I am playing this week has 4 WRs...and all of them are on byes this week.
He's an amateur...god bless him. anyway, he needs WRs bad.
I have:
T.J.Houshmandzadeh @ TAM
Larry Fitzgerald @ CHI (out)
Keyshawn @ BAL
Cotchery vs MIA
Marques Colston vs PHI

His RBs/WRs:
Dominic Rhodes
Ladell Betts
Cadillac Williams
DeAngelo Williams
Greg Jennings (GNB)
Braylon Edwards
Donald Driver
Troy Williamson

I proposed a trade of: Cotchery and Colston (both 50+ pt players so far) for Dominic Rhodes and Greg Jennings (I need help at RB with Alexander out), my other two RBs are Maurice Jones-Drew (or Mo-Jo) and DeShaun Foster (bye week this week). Rhodes and Jennings (both big scorers too).

I figured I can give up some playing power to peel Rhodes out of him. If I can do that, I'll have a good RB core and decent WRs left and I can play 3 RBs/2 WRs the rest of the year....Foster, Rhodes and Mo-Jo until Alexander comes back, and Keyshawn with T.J.

Or he could chose to ignore it and more than likely lose this weekend with 3 RBs and no WRs. Oh and he also needs a kicker this weekend. Needless to say he's a wounded newborn wildebeast barely standing at the watering hole....and well, you get the idea.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I haven't checked in this year, but thought I'd better. At 0-5, my team needs to make a serious run just to think about getting into the playoffs. I get to start 2 WR's and a W/T flex spot. Here are my choices.

R. Brown @ NO
J. Walker vs OAK
L. Evans @ DET
J. Cotchery vs MIA
C. Johnson @ TB

I was leaning towards R. Brown, L. Evans and C. Johnson, but C. Johnson has struggled pretty bad this year. I know, don't bench your studs, but I think the Walker/OAK and Cotchery/MIA matchups are better.

Will answer yours as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks