What's new

2006 NFL Fantasy Football Advice Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Pray? :)

It doesn't look good for you, Dave. If you get points per reception I'd start Manning, Gore, Jones-Drew, S. Moss and Clayton (I assume that's Mark, not Mike). If you do not get ppr, then consider Betts over Jones-Drew. You'll need a big game out of Manning to have a chance (the Indy-Cincy game looks like a shootout, which does help).

Your opponent's weakness will probably be Henderson, since Colston is back.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Yup, about what I figured. I'll be praying, but it doesn't look good. I'm actually surprised I made it to Rd 2 in the play-offs. I think if Manning steps up, it could be a close match, but he has the odds over me.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Maybe there is something to be said about the power of prayer? Frank Gore made a 4th Qtr effort last night that now has the guy I'm up against a little nervous as we go into the weekend.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
First dilemma:

Maurice Jones-Drew @Ten or Tatum Bell @ Arizona ?
I already have LJ and that is a must start every week. Damn I hate this 2 RB only league. Hard to sit Drew after last week's performance. Tatum Bell should be good this week too. Anyone think Bell is a better option ? I guess I dont.

2nd league:
I can start 2 RB+2 WR or 1 RB+3 WR from the following group:

Maurice Jones Drew @ TEN
Marion Barber @ ATL
Dominic Rhodes at home vs Cincy
Keyshawn vs PIT
T.J. @ INDY
Greg Jennings vs DET
Lee Evans vs MIA

Barber who has been a TD machine only got a couple of touches last week in favor of Jones. I think Maurice starts. I think TJ starts. then its sort of up in the air.
I am thinking Rhodes since Addai is banged up plus either Keyshawn or Lee Evans. Does anyone know if Dallas is going to give all the touches to Jones again this week ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Alex, I would stick with Jones-Drew as your 2nd RB. He's put up consistent points for me almost every week. I'm starting him over Fred Taylor (and have several times this season -- he's outscored Taylor in my league). If you're not comfortable with Jones-Drew, my next choice would be Bell over Rhodes. I would rank MBIII last among your RB's this week -- I still do not forgive him for helping to knock me out of the playoffs in my keeper league last week with a big fat zero. :frowning:

AT WR, I'd go with Houshman and Evans. Meshawn is risky, since Delhomme may not play again this week. Heck, I even briefly considered benching Steve Smith... but then came to my senses. :)

In my money league (12 teams), we have three playoff tiers. I am the #1 seed in the 2nd tier (fell out of the top tier after losing Portis, KJones and Colston to injuries).

My starting lineup right now is:

QB: Palmer
RB: Betts, Jones-Drew
WR: Steve Smith, Boldin, Colston (he's baaack) :)

I have Fred Taylor and Terry Glenn on my bench, and am considering starting one of them instead of Boldin (we start 1 RB, 1 WR, 3 Flex). Any opinions/advice?

Alex-C

Screenwriter
First I benched Barber, inserted Rhodes. Then today, 3 hrs before gametime, I thought better of it and re-inserted Barber back into the lineup. It took a while for Parcells to "get it" but it finally paid off, big time.
hehehe.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Interesting weekend in fantasy land. I went from expecting to be blown out to only be down by 5. We both have 1 player left to go this evening. I have Manning, he has Wayne. Score right now is 81 to 76. So if Manning can generate enough points without throwing too often to Wayne, I might actually be able to pull of an upset.

So what are my chances?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It depends on your scoring system. If receivers get points per reception, your opponent has a good chance. If it's TD's only, it will depend on who Manning throws his TD passes to (and if QBs get 6 points or fewer per TD pass).

In our league -- all TD's are 6 points, receivers get 1 pt per 15 yards and 1 pt per reception, QBs get 1 pt per 25 yards passing, all turnovers are -3 points -- Manning is averaging 22 points per game and Wayne is averaging 16.5 points per game. So, in my league your chances would be about 50/50.

I just need Carson Palmer to get positive points tonight for a win -- I trail by about 1/2 point.

Good luck, Dave!

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Our scoring is a little different:

Passing TD:
0-69 yds = 4 points
70-89 yds = 5 points
90+ yds = 6 points
+1 point for every 25 passing yards
+4 points for 400 yards passing

-1 for each sack, -2 for interceptions.
I'm hoping Manning will run it in from 1 or 2 out for a 6 point rushing TD, not get sacked or picked off, and hit 400 yards. :)

Receiving TD = 6 points
Receiving yds = 1 point for every 10 yards
+2 points at 100 yards
+4 points at 175 yards
-2 for fumbles lost.

It will be a close one tonight. I should have started Galloway, to hell with the NFL "experts."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, Dave, it looks like you won last night. Congrats!

I barely won in my league. Palmer actually had negative points when I went to bed at halftime! I'll be playing for 5th place this weekend. It's not much, but it is worth another $20 if I win. :)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Yup, I did indeed pull off the win. Thanks for the insight on my line-up. It was a close match, final score 103.7 - 95.5. So I'm in the finals this week. I'll probably be posting the two line ups this week looking for help again, so keep an eye out. :)
1st place is $200, second is $100 so it is worth my effort to try and get it done right.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
There's only 3 players in my fantasy league. A few other guys that we wanted to play didn't want to this year, so that meant loading up on great players for the 3 of us.

Anyways, the last 2 weeks were the first round of the playoffs with cumulative points determining the winner. Both weeks, my team scored 214.5 points. Freaky! The closest any of my players came to having the same points each week was Chad Johnson (8/10) and the Ravens D (23/25).

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Well, i play this week for 5th place (yawn), but I'd like to win if at all possible, then again, its 5th place.
Anyway, I have a QB dilemma:
Hasselback hosting the Chargers
Trent Green vs Oakland

Hasselback has disappointed time and again this season, and I am ready to bench him. Trent Green didnt look too good at all against the Chargers last week. And Oakland, despite their 2 wins, has a decent defense, not superb, but they keep it close for a while.
Anyway, I was thinking of taking a wild gamble and trying Tim Rattay who is at Cleveland.

I figured, what the heck, it'll either pay off big time or I'll stink it up. sink or swim.
I still have Harrison, M.Jones-Drew and L.J. to put up points.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Alex, if you are going to roll the dice on a QB, I would think Hassleback vs. the tough SD defense would still be a better gamble than Rattay (but it's only 5th place, so it can be fun to gamble sometimes). I don't blame you from shying away from Green after last week's performance, though. He was terrible.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
We were going to have a 10man league but 4 people didn't show for the draft so everyone is loaded on strong players, and we have a deep bench. It's championship week and I need WR and DEF help.

All In With 2Pair
QB Drew Brees @NYG
QB Tom Brady @Jac
WR Torry Holt Was
WR Chad Johnson @Den
WR Dante Hall @Oak
WR Reggie Brown @Dal
RB LaDainian Tomlinson @Sea
RB Frank Gore Ari
TE Antonio Gates @Sea
K Robbie Gould @Det
DEF Indianapolis @Hou
D Keith Bulluck @Buf

Bench

WR Mike Furrey Chi
WR Darrell Jackson SD
WR Hines Ward Bal
WR Reggie Williams NE
WR D.J. Hackett SD
RB Maurice Jones-Drew NE

From last week I did a lot of movement on my bench and trying to get every WR option I can because last week I went into Monday night with a 30.5 point lead and Marvin Harrison (3td) almost had me fighting for a 3rd place game. Also I dropped Jacksonville for Indianapolis since they are play Houston vs playing New England. Was that smart, should I switch it back or pick up Dallas or Tennessee? I think Im set on RB but every time Gore is a dud Jones-Drew is a beast. FYI D. Hall has been good about getting me 100+ return yards. D Jackson is hurt so I he may get dropped.

This is what I am going up against
QB Peyton Manning
QB Tony Romo
WR Anquan Boldin
WR Plaxico Burress
WR Roy Williams
WR Braylon Edwards
RB Rudi Johnson
RB Edgerrin James
TE Tony Gonzalez
K Nate Kaeding
DEF Buffalo
D Adam Jones

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Scott,

I cringed at Hassellback's sub-sub-par performance against the 49ers, and now he's facing a tough SD defense. I may roll the dice. Hell, JP Losman is also available; there's another gamble I could take.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Ok, so here is my team. I'm thinking the folks with the * will be my starters. Anyone have any insight to what I might want to consider changing?

*P. Manning (IND-QB)
*F. Gore (SF-RB)
*J. Galloway (TB-WR)
*B. Edwards (CLE-WR)
*B. Utecht (IND-TE)
*L. Betts (WAS-RB) -WR/RB flex position
S. Moss (WAS-WR)
M. Jones-Drew (JAC-RB)
R. Caldwell (NE-WR)
B. Johnson (ARI-WR)
M. Clayton (BAL-WR)
V. Davis (SF-TE)
B. Berrian (CHI -WR)
* R. Gould (CHI - K)
*Miami Def
Dallas Def

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dave,

I would think about starting Mark Clayton over Edwards. Benching Jones-Drew is a tough call since Taylor may still be out, but Betts is also a good play (I'm starting both this week).

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
So how did everyone do this weekend? I'm happy to say that not only did I manage to pull off the championship win, but in a most convincing manner. Going into yesterday's games, my opponent had Romo and I had the Miami D. I benched my D in the 4th QTR of the Dallas game as the FF score was 89.6 - 51.3 in my favor.
Big gains for me were Gore, Betts, Manning and Gould, with Jones-Drew and Clayton on the bench. The other guy, while having a good team, had LT and C. Johnson, neither of which showed up for him this weekend.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Your league lets you do this? I'm surprised, since it's not really fair to your opponent that had a player/defense that started earlier. In our leagues, we must start a player at each position, and are not allowed to start players who are on byes or declared "out" for the week (injury, suspension, etc.). Violations are subject to fines, and subsequent violations could result in eventual dismissal from the league.

Anyway, congrats on your championship. I ended up winning my 2nd tier playoff games (thanks to Jones-Drew and Betts), finishing 5th out of 12 teams. I won back a little over half my entry fee between the playoff win, three regular season high score weeks and my 2nd place finish in my division. Not too bad, considering the injury wave I sustained (Portis, Kevin Jones, Colston), plus Steve Smith and Boldin disappearing the past few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks