What's new

$10k golden ears AMP challenge! (1 Viewer)

Larry B

Screenwriter
Lee or Larry? are any of you taking the challenge?
Not me. The human auditory system has very short memory, and it is extremely easy to "trick it." In fact, I wouldn;t be suprised if many individuals failed to get 24 our of 24 even when cpomparin gtwo sets of spealers that most would consider to be quite different sounding. This is part of the reason why I don't put enormous faith in auditory DBT. (Though I should mention that, as a scientist, this does disturb me.)

Larry

Yogi

Screenwriter
I am out. Winning once is good enough. I would agree there were some lessons learnt between the silliness and the bickering. But I would be more interested in any change of opinions. Did someone learn enough to cause a paradigm shift?

Over and out (once and for all)

Cheers.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Is it just me, or did the posts get really short (and meaningless) the last 2 pages?

To keep in line with "it's not how big but how you use it", shouldn't it be the best biased tubes? Ah well, only 2 more tubes to bias and I win - see ya.

Lin

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
damn Yogi, I wanted that! :D
Funny to see the conclusion of this thread, objectivists were unable to demonstrate their point, or maybe subjectivists were unable to demonstrate it? Well, maybe I (that tried to be in the middle) was also unable to demonstrate anything...
Anyway, sometimes this thread was fun, sometimes it was just ugly (specially when "stubbornisism" is the main drive of some responses). As some have posted it even become risible or just painful at some time (seeing the race of ego's is either fun or not depending on the point of view).
In any case what we saw, again, was the human nature at its best.
Good job gentlemen.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
My conclusion is as follows:
The objectivists may be right that, except in extreme cases, all amplifiers do sound the same. The subjectivists may be right that these "extreme cases" are more common than assumed and that there are audible differences in many situations. Those audible differences are generally more subtle than the "night and day" differences often claimed.
Using either a subjective or an objective approach are simply different methods in our common hobby of achieving greater satisfaction from our audio systems. Both of these methods will result in an increased enjoyment and neither one is inherently "better" than the other.
Even though I know that the perceived differences may be due to my biases rather than demonstrably audible difference, I still choose to be a subjectivist for the following reason:
The subjectivist can change his mind.
The objectivist cannot change the truth. :D
At least that way I still have the power to change something!
-Mike...

Terry St

Second Unit
Now is Bryston considered a high-end company by the typical objectivist?
I own a Bryston amp, so nope. High end is what crazy people with more money than you buy. :P
Personally, I went with Bryston because they're accurate, respected, have an unrivaled warranty, and are built like freaking tanks. Not to mention the fact that they're quality Canadian engineering. Gotta support the local boys. If I dropped the sucker out of a window onto a 2002 beamer I'm pretty sure it would still work, but the beamer would be toast! I'll back that claim up too! If anyone wants proof I'll supply the Bryston and pick the window. You supply the beamer. :D
-----
In any case, we can probably milk a couple pages out of the 1000 vs 1001 debate. Then if we revisit the bose bashing, come up with some more BMW analogies, and argue about money some more we should be well on our way to P2K.
However, what is the ultimate post? The last one. :D

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I went with Bryston because they're accurate, respected, have an unrivaled warranty, and are built like freaking tanks.
I picked my Audio Research preamp (used) because they're accurate, respected, have a great tradition of supporting discontinued products, are built like tanks and have been well-reviewed by the audio community.
What I perceived was increased dynamics, a bigger, more cavernous soundstage, greater separation of instruments, more natural tonal quality and greater musical satisfaction. Being a subjectivist makes it so much more fun than "it sounded exactly like my other preamp" :D.
-Mike...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Do you meant the AVERAGE consumer needs to be more educated? Why? Most of THEM are MORE satisfied with their boomboxes and Bose AcoustiMass systems than the "informed" audiophiles are with their expensive systems!
Mike,
I am not sure I agree with this. This seems to indicate that just because there are people satisfied with poor sound, we should not educate them about better sound ?!
I have a better plan: educate everyone and their brother so at least when I go to friend's houses who are not audiophiles I hear better sonics!
:laugh:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I picked my Audio Research preamp (used) because they're accurate, respected, have a great tradition of supporting discontinued products, are built like tanks and have been well-reviewed by the audio community.
I have an amp and preamp from Audio Research and they are the best built components I have ever used. More importantly they sound great! The factory is very pleasant to deal with and they are very selective about using only the best dealers.

It's like a car: the product is half the value and the after-sale support is the other half.

I am very impressed with the new tube amps as well. Will try to get the 55 watter for a new "budget" living room setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks