What's new

$10k golden ears AMP challenge! (1 Viewer)

Larry B

Screenwriter
Sure, now that we're nearing the 1,000th, Saurav suddenly re-appears. And he thinks I'm not on to his guily ways....

Larry

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Contrast this with audio companies that throw "audio jewelry" at you and claim that you will hear a difference because of their "superior engineering" that results in a real audio difference.
I guess your true objection is to the marketing of those products.

I could go on endlessly about BMW's "Ultimate Driving Machine", or Herbal Essence's "orgasmically" great shampoo, etc, etc, etc... Advertising from all companies is full of ridiculous claims and implied promises.

What if you were in charge of THEAC's (Typical High End Audio Corporation) advertising campaign. How would you promote your products?

-Mike...

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Sounds good, just give me something that my poor brain can hold on to.

So can I say that one techno-babble watt is the same as one psycho-babble watt?

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
But you do have to research several test studies about DBTs and the like to establish (in your mind) that better specs do indeed translate to better performance.
But that objective research is no more time consuming or difficult than swapping cables looking for the magical combination, reading lots of revies, reading through lots of advertisements or churning your way through endless posts on forums.

-Mike...

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
This race to 1000 somehow reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is trying to buy a new car. Kramer goes for a ride with the salesman and they see how far past "E" they can drive the car... It's sheer excitement until they run out of gas and then it's just a major anti-climax.

-Mike...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What if you were in charge of THEAC's (Typical High End Audio Corporation) advertising campaign. How would you promote your products?
I wouldn't want to be in charge of advertising, Mike, because my background is engineering, not marketing. Fir example, no engineer ever used the silly phrase "perfect sound forever" to describe CD. That was a marketing phrase. Of course, that fact hasn't kept anti CD people from using the phrase endlessly for 20 years whenever they want to attack digital technically, but I digress.

If I did take such a job, though, I'd emphasize real engineering differences, reliability, ergonomics, service, etc. "Vaster, deeper soundstage", "more focused midrange", and "improved interspatial harmonic microdynamics" would be nowhere to be found.

Yogi

Screenwriter
But that objective research is no more time consuming or difficult than swapping cables looking for the magical combination, reading lots of revies, reading through lots of advertisements or churning your way through
endless posts on forums.
Whats the point to all this babble;) You are not moving I am not moving and neither is anyone else in this thread. The only thing thats moving is the thread and thats all I am interested in;)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Saurav can you provide definitions of the terms techno-babble watt and psycho-babble watt?

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
If I did take such a job, though, I'd emphasize real engineering differences, reliability, ergonomics, service, etc. "Vaster, deeper soundstage", "more focused midrange", and "improved interspatial harmonic microdynamics" would be nowhere to be found.
Kind of like the Bryston approach:

Clearly, people are drawn to the exceptional, hand-crafted quality of a Swiss mechanical watch. Why? Because they understand and appreciate the care and skill that went into making it. To these buyers, it’s almost as if the watch has a ‘soul’ - a part of the craftsperson’s life force inside. Buyers want to own and hold onto something like that.

In a very real way, Bryston combines this old- world devotion to craft with highly advanced technology to create products with which people can form a similar affinity. Everyone at Bryston puts a little bit of their heart and soul into their work, always trying to do the very best they can.

I quickly browsed through their sight and didn't find any claims from the manufacture about "soundstage, imaging, etc, etc, etc". Just lots of claims about quality and accuracy.

-Mike...

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Saurav can you provide definitions of the terms techno-babble watt and psycho-babble watt?
Of course. A techno-babble watt is one that I pulled out from my head, and a psycho-babble watt is one that I pulled out from... somewhere else :)
Or if we go with Robert's definition, a techno-babble watt has better crystal boundaries and quantum eigenvalues.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Well, if nothing else, you're all finally playing together nicely. (Say hallelujah!) So let the race continue, and may he with the deepest soundstage win. :)
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks