What's new

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" coming from MGM/UA to Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The Digital bits reports MGM/UA is releasing "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" on Blu-ray later this year. This film was shot in 70MM and looks great on the big screen (it was also an expensive film)

This should look great on Blu-ray if they use the 70MM source/6 channel sound

I remember when this film came out (I was only 5) but it has always been my favorite children's film. Hope the blu-ray rocks

Amazon has it for pre-order at $24.49

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Just saw it on one of the Movie Channels recently and it looks pretty great. I admit I still have a crush on Ms Howes and have since I saw this at the Drive In when I was old enough to notice such things and just young enough not to be at that "anything Disney is dumb" age.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I learned about the upcoming MGM release of

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a few weeks ago at a

Fox event in New York City. I was not allowed

to say anything about it at the time, but I did

express a huge amount of elation about the

decision to put this film out on Blu-ray this year.

So, yes, it is coming. Waiting for an official

press release to show up any day now despite

the fact it is already up for preorder on Amazon.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Wait - Ron Epstein knows secrets and is not sharing them !!

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Blu-ray is coming this November...[/COLOR]

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Well this is great news, The Sound of Music and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, things are starting to look up for musical fans. I am surprised no 55th anniversary Blu of Oklahoma, or maybe there will be. Sad the 45th anniversary of Hello Dolly was bypassed. I saw Chitty on Hdnet and it looks great now, but without compression, and in 1080p and especially with lossless audio, this should be a real treat. What a great holiday season :)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I wonder if IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD will soon be released on Blu Ray. The HD they showed on MGMHD looks great, although it is the standard release version. I always liked CHITTY, and look forward to this Blu Ray release. Despite all the problems MGM is having, at least we are getting releases of desirable titles.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD will soon be released on Blu Ray

This film needs to have a complete roadshow restoration done to it.

Robert Harris has all the elements and is the one person who is

capable of doing real justice to the restoration of one of the most

greatest comedies ever made.

Under MGM, I don't think there would be interest. Not a slam

against the studio, but under their financial duress, I cannot see

them throwing money into a huge expensive restoration of this

film.

So, what we would probably get is a high definition release at

some point on Blu-ray, but it would be a far cry from the roadshow

release all of us have been clamoring for these many years.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The Cinerama Dome screenned a 70MM print of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" about 5 years ago and it looked excellent. So even if the film can not currently be restored to it's original lengt,, at least a HD transfer of the 70MM neg would not be a bad thing. Hopefully we will at least get that!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by GMpasqua The Cinerama Dome screenned a 70MM print of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" about 5 years ago and it looked excellent. So even if the film can not currently be restored to it's original lengt,, at least a HD transfer of the 70MM neg would not be a bad thing. Hopefully we will at least get that!
The showings on MGMHD networks is a HD transfer of 70mm MAD WORLD and it looks great. Of course, it should be restored to its original road show length. But I fear that may be years away. In the meantime, I would buy a BluRay version of the current version. I can't imagine MGM spending all that money just for cable showings. And it could be unique in having Overture, Intermission Music and police calls and Exit music properly placed. I was thrilled when the last 70mm showing in Los Angeles included the police calls at intermission. I know the laser extended cut included some scenes that were never in the road show version. For me, the only part of the extended version that I thought went on too long and kind of disrupted the timing was some of the extra footage of the group arguing over “shares.” A friend of mine who saw the original version at the Cinerama Dome only remembered the Tracy’s phone calls with his wife seemed longer, or more of them.

Eric F

Screenwriter
HDNet Movies has been running this month what I can only assume is the transfer they're going to use of Chitty for Blu-Ray and it looks mighty good to me.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
what other classic films has HDNet been running that have yet to be released on Blu-ray?

Eric F

Screenwriter
HDNet runs plenty of stuff that hasn't made it to Blu. They are also running the excellent Holes, which might not be considered "classic" but is another great "family" movie. They are also running The Russians are Coming and Tron this month too.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Bradley-E

I miss HD NET Movies. Friggin' Time Warner Cable dropped the HD NET channels last year. :-(

Tell me about it. I saw stuff there I never thought I'd ever get to see in HD.

As for Chitty, is there any word on whether they will keep the 2003 DVD extras?

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Amazon has the cover art up - it's really too bad they don't use the original art - it's so much better

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Amazon has the cover art up - it's really too bad they don't use the original art - it's so much better

I agree totally. Even the lettering that has always been used was changed. Disappointed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, not great artwork at all.

They could have done much better with the cover.

I'm just happy that this is coming out on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks