What's new

Zone 2 Audio over digital? (1 Viewer)

MikeNg

Second Unit
Does anyone know of a good midrange receiver that will output zone 2 audio with a single digital connection from a source? Technically this will require that the receiver have a separate and dedicated DAC for the separate zone. I'm having problems finding one. Actually, I hear the HK AVR745 will do it, but need some alternatives.

Please chime in if you know of one. I know there are some in the works due out soon, and hooking up analog feeds for the second zone is not really an option (source ONLY has digital out).

Thanks.

Mike

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
is this the kind of zone 2 w/ preouts running to another amp? it seems this feature is available on many pieces, unless there is a restriction i just don't know about on the digi ins.

what are you calling mid-range?

are you wanting to run one digi in in zone 1 and a different digi in on zone 2 simultaneously?

i don't know that i have the answers, but i know i'm not clear on the question.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Thanks for your reply Max. Actually, the question is simpler than that, but I will explain.

I have a source that ONLY has digital out's. That's currently connected to the receiver, let's call that connection optical 1. It drives the main zone fine. Second zone is POWERED through the receiver - no pre-out's going on here. The ONLY problem is that the receiver does not do DAC for zone 2; it will only PASS analog audio but I've got no analog connections for it.

Since posting this question I've found a couple of outboard options, but would still like to know if there are any receivers that will do this out of the box...

Mid-range = $900 - $1500

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
that seems so strange to me that it won't send signal from it's own DAC through...

i'd think the marantz sr5001 and above would do this, but i can't say for certain. obviously, spec sheets and even manuals seem not to address this issue directly... (hence the question)

if you're planning on upgrading, i'd just go to your dealer and or ask the manufacturer directly. at a decent shop, you should be able to test the scenario first.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Almost all receivers & processors are like this with regards to zone 2. You are better off picking up a cheap 2nd receiver for zone two duties if you absolutely must use the digital connection.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Mike
I was in a similiar Position with my Preamp so I ended up getting a switcher for the 2nd zone and used volume controls in the other rooms.
I found a 8 input with digital & ethernet at BB for under $100 which works and good for video too
Longest audio run ~125 ft or so and sounds good
If you need any more info send me an email since I don't check here everyday
Grant
ps i might have a few odds & ends laying around if you don't,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks