What's new

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife greeted me with this news when I got home tonight. Bummed about it.

They’re hoping fans can generate interest enough to get Zoey’s picked up by another service.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Canceled, no Peacock.
Bummer, but not a huge surprise.

Somehow I don't see Peacock becoming a major player like HBO Max or even Paramount+. It's hard to aggressively plan for the future when your corporate parent is a legacy cable provider whose entire operating model is predicated on preserving how content was consumed in the past.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“It is difficult to get a [streaming service] to understand something, when [their corporate parent] depends on [their] not understanding it.”

Paraphrased from Upton Sinclair, I, Candidate for Governor: And How I Got Licked”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
An update courtesy of TV Line:

Michael Ausiello said:
Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is down but not out. Three weeks after its NBC cancellation and failed Peacock rescue attempt,, the musical comedy still has a pulse. According to sources, Lionsgate — the studio behind the show — is “having a number of conversations about different scenarios” in an effort to find Zoey’s a new home for its third season. One potential obstacle: Lionsgate’s contractual hold on the cast expired on July 1, which means new deals would have to be hammered out if a third season comes to pass. A rep for Lionsgate declined to comment for this story.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
With the options on Zoey's cast having expired, Kapil Talwalkar (Tobin) has joined the NBC pilot Night Court as a series regular.

I don't think this necessarily spells the end of Zoey's because it's Tobin, who could very easily recur in the event of a renewal instead of being a series regular. However, if the show is going to be saved, it probably needs to be soon before the more central cast members start taking other offers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Zoey's is nearing rescue from Roku, which is in talks to produce a two-hour holiday movie.

Additional episodes of the series would be possible if the movie performs well.

The downside here is that, as I understand it, The Roku Channel is only available to customers with a Roku device. This could potentially shrink the audience who can access the show, which is bound to be frustrating for some people. Full disclosure: I do have a Roku device.

But having the show able to produce something is better than not having it produce anything.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I guess I can connect it to a main TV to watch this movie?
That is my interpretation. The Roku Channel is Roku's original programming which is accessible through their devices. I have a Roku stick as well and have never actually watched any of their original stuff before, but it should just be there like any other app on their devices.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I don’t believe Canada has access to Roku, but they often sell shows like this to mainstream networks here.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don’t believe Canada has access to Roku, but they often sell shows like this to mainstream networks here.
You can buy a Roku in Canada, but not all of the content is available that is available in the US. Apps that are worldwide with location determined by IP address, like Netflix, should work fine as long as the service operates in Canada. Apps that are different for each country, like Prime Video, may be a different story.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas is now official. Production will start this month in Vancouver.

Jane Levy, Skylar Astin, Alex Newell, John Clarence Stewart, Andrew Leeds, Alice Lee, Michael Thomas Grant, Kapil Talwalkar, David St. Louis, Mary Steenburgen, Peter Gallagher and Bernadette Peters (!) are returning.

Series creator Austin Winsberg will write the movie.

Roku Channel will also get all 25 episodes that originally aired on NBC in addition to the movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A little more information from Variety:

Variety said:
“It’s a transcendent show, it’s something that connects with people across the country,” Colin Davis, head of original scripted programming at Roku, said of “Zoey.” “That connection with the audience is what makes bringing a holiday-themed film like ‘Zoey’ to life with the original cast so special.”

Davis said the decision was made to pick up a “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” movie, as opposed to more episodes, in order to get the revival to audiences as quickly as possible to capitalize on the demand.

“It’s what can be done quickly,” he said. “We wanted to not slow down the momentum that exists around the show and the fandom for this show and make sure that people get an encore quickly.”

Roku also wanted to premiere a movie that might be sampled by viewers who weren’t familiar with the show. That’s also why it’s set during Christmas.

“We wanted to do something that has an entry point for people who hadn’t seen the show before,” Davis said. “A lot of people were never exposed or had a chance to sample it, and we believe that a Christmas movie creates an easier entry point.”

I can't really argue with that logic.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news! Really looking forward to Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas. I had given up hope a long time ago.

And the upside is that with a one-off commitment they were able to get everybody back (except Lauren Graham?).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And the upside is that with a one-off commitment they were able to get everybody back (except Lauren Graham?).
I don't think it is necessarily a one-off. It's been reported around various sites that Roku could potentially order more episodes if the Christmas movie is a hit for them. Considering that this is the first big show they have ordered for their streamer, I would be really surprised if it ends up being one and done.

That being said, if I were Winberg, I would write this in such a way as it functions as a wrap-up if it needs to be that but leaves the door open for more storytelling. The #1 most important plot point as far as I am concerned is Max's reaction to the power and how that impacts his life and relationships with Zoey and otherwise.

The interesting thing to me is that if I recall correctly, Max was going to go to New York with Rose for the summer. That would mean they'll have to do about a six or seven-month time jump to get to the Christmas holiday period. I certainly don't want to complain about getting the show back in any form, but I think that the drama of Max getting the power is potentially diluted if we jump forward to a period where he has already had it for six or seven months. The fun of it will be seeing him adjust to how it changes his life, and after six or seven months he would just be used to it. So I'm really curious to see how they deal with that.

I would love to see Lauren Graham back, but if they've only got two hours, I think it would be best to work with the characters who are already on the board as of this moment. Her return would probably be more organic if they get multiple episodes and can write her an arc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Roku has set December 1 as the premiere date for Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas. In the meantime, here is a sneak peak of one of the musical numbers.

And here is an interview about the movie with series creator Austin Winsberg:

Also, the previous 25 episodes from the two seasons that aired on NBC are streaming on The Roku Channel now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exorcist4713
Recent bookmarks