What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Zardoz coming from Twilight Time (Tentative February 2015) (1 Viewer)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Worth said:
This is one film I really wouldn't recommend buying sight unseen. And I say that as a fan - both of Zardoz and The Visitor.
I agree, and said as much earlier in this thread - some of you blind buyers are in for a shock. After my first viewing of Zardoz on DVD, I came away with the impression that it was all a bunch of campy nonsense. It took at least two more viewings before I started to get into the spirit of the movie.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Josh Steinberg said:
I thought about that and I've considered myself warned. I figure if I absolutely can't stand it that I should be able to sell it for close to what it cost. But I also just have this feeling that I'm gonna be really happy to have it. (I probably will buy a copy of "The Visitor" too at some point, seeing that one for the first time at a midnight screening was a surprisingly entertaining experience.)

From a practical standpoint, consider this exchange on TT's on Facebook Josh:

Twilight Time DVD Label Well, we're glad we did 5,000 units for sure so it hangs around a bit - we'd have hated for this to be gone in a week!

Aarron Waite Nice one, has it gone past the 3K gone mark?

Twilight Time DVD Label Not quite, but if we'd kept it to 3,000 it would be there by now!

So there you go, almost 2/3 of this expanded run gone in 6 days.

I'd say Zardoz is a safe buy whichever way it plays for you.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
...with that said, ya gotta love any movie with a shot like this in it:

zardoz-3.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
ROclockCK said:
I'd say Zardoz is a safe buy whichever way it plays for you.
That's great, thanks for sharing.

Honestly, here's how I think it will play out. First viewing: "oh my god, that was...something". Then a few days of "Can't get this movie out of my head". Then a couple more viewings. Love and acceptance soon follow.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's not just the nappy.

cap041sck.jpg

But I think some won't like it, some will.

cap002sck.jpg

cap010sck.jpg

cap014sck.jpg

cap011sck.jpg

cap023sck.jpg

cap029sck.jpg

cap032sck.jpg

cap021sck.jpg

cap042sck.jpg

cap025sck.jpg

cap035sck.jpg

cap039sck.jpg

Like Steve said, it may grow on you.

cap005sck.jpg

cap006sck.jpg

cap043sck.jpg

(And, of course, all is well that ends well.)

Cees

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thank you all for welcoming me.

Please note those excellent shots in Cees's most recent post. In the one where Zed (Connery) shoots a worker who has fallen down on the job, said worker is our director, Mr. John Boorman.

Also try to understand this, and I feel it is an important point: The film was very well received in 1974 by devotees of literary science fiction -- i.e., printed science fiction. Then, as well as today, we abhorred most of what Hollywood passed off as SF. Only a few films truly qualify as science fiction. In fact, since Zardoz, only a few more honest-to-goodness, genuine SF films have been made (Blade Runner, whichever version you prefer, Gattaca, etc.). So, from that standpoint, Zardoz holds up beautifully.

Also, I am most saddened to hear about my former compadre, Mr. Ulmer, as well as about Steve.

Again, thank you all.

"You have me in the palm of your hand."

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I read the Playboy magazine with the impressive "Zardoz" pictorial in it back in 1974, before I saw the movie, so when I did see it I was prepared for something wild and provocative. I think it would be great, especially for any blind buyers, if Twilight Time could include that Playboy piece as part of their Blu-Ray package.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anyone get their "Zardoz" yet? I believe today was the official street date, but I haven't gotten the disc or even a shipping confirmation yet. Hoping it'll be here for the weekend!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Josh Steinberg said:
Anyone get their "Zardoz" yet? I believe today was the official street date, but I haven't gotten the disc or even a shipping confirmation yet. Hoping it'll be here for the weekend!

My pre-orders are always among the last to ship, so I don't expect to get my shipping confirmation for at least another week to a week and a half.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:

A couple folks in other forums have gotten shipping notices (not for me yet), but unfortunately SAE seems to still be digging out from the confluence of March events so I'm not really expecting much until next week. Even on routine months I rarely expect to get the items by the weekend after release -- not that I have ever cared about street date anyway.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Got my shipping notice this afternoon along with quite a number of other folks so these should start arriving by Friday and Sat for many people.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
SilverWook said:
Got my shipping notice yesterday. And I only just finished with First Men in The Moon! ;)
Just got my shipping notice..and watched First Men a few nights ago too! Great looking disc!

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Broke down and ordered this the night before last, instead of doing taxes like a good boy. Hope my gubbermint isn't too unhappy. Watching it will be an interesting nostalgia expedition into a very different time pre-Star Wars.

My screen accurate HAL 9000 faceplate replica is ready for The Tabernacle!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My copy of Zardoz has arrived but I have not yet watched it. First Twilight Time release that is not in the standard blue plastic case. Zardoz comes in a clear plastic case like the ones Criterion uses. Hopefully I can watch this tonight.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Reggie W said:
My copy of Zardoz has arrived but I have not yet watched it. First Twilight Time release that is not in the standard blue plastic case. Zardoz comes in a clear plastic case like the ones Criterion uses. Hopefully I can watch this tonight.

I'm not sure if you meant your first TT with clear case, but Fright Night Anniv also had a clear case. Apparently all this months releases are reported to be in the new type case. Not sure if it's temporary or for the forseeable future. There were so many complaints about changing from the original case to a couple months when they switched to the eco type case that they switched to an Olive type case, so maybe this will be the newest new style

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks