What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Your favorite 10 films from the 1950s not yet on blu (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Jacksmyname said:
I'd be repeating what others have posted, so I'll just go with one for now.....
Oh don't be afraid of repeating. I'm actually quite curious which titles are the most requested!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The Fifties just aren't my decade, but there are a few films I'd like to see on Blu-ray...

The Thing from Another WorldRoman HolidayWar of the WorldsSeven Brides for Seven BrothersThe Court JesterFriendly Persuasion

---------------

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Thomas T said:
Oh don't be afraid of repeating. I'm actually quite curious which titles are the most requested!
Ok, .....
The High and The Mighty
Some Came Running
Never So Few
Mogambo
Mr. Roberts
The Blue Gardenia
The War Of The Worlds
The Crawling Eye
Around The World In 80 Days
Kansas City Confidential

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
atfree said:
Sorry,,,,,can't narrow it down to 10. I want them ALL!!!The Greatest Show on EarthThe Naked SpurBend of the RiverWinchester '73The Far CountryBad Day at Black RockNever So FewMogamboMister RobertsThe Wings of EaglesTHEM!The Thing from Another WorldRoman HolidayThe Desperate HoursRancho NotoriousThe Blue GardeniaFlying LeathernecksIsland in the SkyThe High and the MightyTeacher's PetDarby's RangersUp PeriscopeStage FrightI, ConfessThe Wrong Man
I hate these lists! :) Not really, its just I always forget films. How could I have left off:Around the World in Eighty Days20,000 Leagues Under The SeaAnd about 50 others!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I know I could have gone on and on, even with only musicals that I listed. I can't believe looking at my list that I left out two of my all-time favorites The Band Wagon and Brigadoon along with Two Weeks with Love, Royal Wedding, With a Song in My Heart, and others.

And that doesn't count dozens and dozens of non-musicals that I'd love to have.

The 1950s is really so stuffed with treasures that one would need a list of 100, I think.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
The 1950s is really so stuffed with treasures that one would need a list of 100, I think.
Indeed! I myself could have have given at least ten films for each year (1950-1959) of the decade that I'd like but lists tend to get unwieldy when there's no cutoff.

Paul Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
creaturerevenge3.jpg

220px-Peyton_place.jpg
Mister_Roberts_(1955_movie_poster).jpg
and%2BGod%2BCreated%2BWoman.jpg
51jFC0RbNGL._SY300_.jpg

seven-brides-for-seven-brothers-movie-poster-1954-1010528258.jpg
tammy-bachel_ger_58_a.jpg

gidget-cliff-robertson-sandra-dee-james-darren-1959.jpg

romanhol.jpg

This-Island-Earth-poster-1-400x314.png

andySu

Senior HTF Member
^^ THIS ISLAND EARTH another 50's sci-fi classic.

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951)

I have the 2 disc with colour version in stereo and works great in Dolby Stereo with dialogue panning across the academy ratio screen wow.

TheThingFromAnotherWorldDVD1.jpg

Paul Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I'm surprised that The Thing hasn't already been released (ditto for Them).
I would be happy with just about any and all of the 50's sci-fi stuff from Universal & WB.

I think the best hope for the Universals might lie with Anolis in Germany. They apparently have a few more up their sleeve and their product is stellar across the board. Very happy to be region free now.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Here are my contributions to the list:

Mister Roberts - Always been a favorite of mine and one of my favorite Henry Fonda roles.
Bad Day at Black Rock - Spencer Tracy. Enough said.
Young Man with a Horn - Great music from Harry James in this film.
Captain Horatio Hornblower - Would love to see a nice Blu-Ray for the costuming and production design. Really liked Gregory Peck in this role and I've always enjoyed the 'classic' Hollywood tone of this film. Another favorite from this era.
Roman Holiday - Just a charmer of a film that works so well with great cast chemistry.
We're No Angels - Been a fan since I saw this on a television broadcast many, many years ago.
Them! - My favorite SF film from the '50s not already on Blu-Ray.
In A Lonely Place - One of my favorite Bogart films.
The Vikings - Always liked this film, particularly Kirk Douglas in this film role.
The Naked Spur - Gotta have a Jimmy Stewart film in the list. The locations should look great on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Too many MIAs from the 50s to narrow down to only 10. But there is a core group I'm very familiar with via their scores, without having ever seen the films themselves...in any form...not even on TV.

For example, from the Bernard Herrmann book alone:

[*]5 Fingers
[*]Blue Denim
[*]Garden of Evil
[*]A Hatful of Rain
[*]King of the Khyber Rifles
[*]Prince of Players
[*]White Witch Doctor
[/list]
Since most of these are Fox titles, they would seem like naturals for Twilight Time. However, they're also late 3-strip Technicolor or early CinemaScope with reportedly iffy or non-existent HD masters. So unless the studio shows them the kind of TLC they're affording April Love...well...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
We're No Angels
The Thing From Another World
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
High Society
The Band Wagon
War Of The Worlds
Roman Holiday
Damn Yankees
Some Came Running
The Pride And The Passion (had to pick one Cary Grant movie that's never had a decent DVD)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I will keep my list to a manageable three:

Around the World in 80 Days. It may not have aged as well as other Best Picture winners, but the charm is still there. IMHO, one of the best film scores ever. As "80 Days" was a visual stunner in its original TODD-AO roadshow release (which in some cities ran for over a year), this has the potential to be a terrific Blu-Ray. Is a restored TODD-AO version a lost cause?

The Bandwagon.

Mister Roberts.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
ROclockCK said:
Too many MIAs from the 50s to narrow down to only 10. But there is a core group I'm very familiar with via their scores, without having ever seen the films themselves...in any form...not even on TV.

For example, from the Bernard Herrmann book alone:

[*]5 Fingers
[*]Blue Denim
[*]GARDEN OF EVIL
[*]A Hatful of Rain
[*]King of the Khyber Rifles
[*]Prince of Players
[*]White Witch Doctor
[/list]
Since most of these are Fox titles, they would seem like naturals for Twilight Time. However, they're also late 3-strip Technicolor or early CinemaScope with reportedly iffy or non-existent HD masters. So unless the studio shows them the kind of TLC they're affording April Love...well...
Of those titles, Garden Of Evil has received an excellent looking standard DVD release in stereo which features Bernard Herrmann's isolated score so I'm surprised you haven't seen it. I believe it's out of print now..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks