What's new

Your choice do you like old or new version of The Time Machine? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Wanted to report that the 2002 version has been clearanced in many locations for under $10 bucks.

Gamestop stores are sell 'used' copies that are, in fact, new.

They do this with 'retail refugee' titles that have been repackaged or reissued (Animal House, Conan).

I was able to get a copy of TM for $7.50 by doing a 'buy 2 get 1'.

Found the movie to be far better than I expected, in a 'Mummy-Summer-Action' kind of way.

Only thing that really seemed wrong was the Morlocks first attack, should have been a *night* raid.

It would have been more plausible and frightening.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I prefer the original movie. But I do like aspects of the newer one. I LOVED the victorian style Time Machine and liked the AI system. But alot of the movie just didn't do it for me.

MattGentry

Second Unit
I'm not going to lie. I actually think that the new version, while no epic of modern cinema, has elements of it that are good. Not great or breath-taking mind you, but good...

Having said that, I loved the original movie. While browsing the seemingless endless supply of channels, I happened to wander across the original on AMC. I, having never seen it, stopped for a glance. A simply amazing movie with effects that transcend it's time.

Anyone here have the Collector's Set? The $90 one? I was thinking about getting the DVD, but then saw the Collector's Set, and am now rethinking the purchase. I want the Set, but don't know if it's worth the extra cash...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I enjoyed them both equally. They are very different, yet the same.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The Original! It's a childhood fav that my Dad and I watched many times.

My favorite moment is when the Love interests introduces herself "Weena." And my Dad always said "Schnitzel." I was a little kid so naturally I thought that was hilarious.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Neither.

No offense to those who hold it dear, but the production values of the George Pal version make it look like a really bad episode of Lost in Space. I can't take the film seriously at ALL because the low budget sucks me right out of the story.

The Simon Wells film with Guy Pearce is just too MTV for its own good, and both direction and performances are lackluster. It's boring.

I still think that the definitive film version of this story, which I hold dear from my childhood, is yet to be made.

And Marvin, I'm with you on Time After Time - a much better film than either of the Time Machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks