What's new

You guys will like this - Monster's new XBOX cables (1 Viewer)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
In my experience, it's always better to buy the first-party cables, even if the alternative is a supposedly premium brand like Monster Cables. I had to return 2 PS2 Monster component cables because they were defective and poorly made. I ended up just buying the Sony brand. The connections on video game hardware are not the same as you would find on DVD player, and the people with the most experience with making products work with their proprietary hardware is the console makers themselves, not Monster Cables or anyone else.
------------------
Link Removed "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" Link Removed

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
anyone's said:
The initial product manufacturer's may create the proprietary hardware and connections, but again I would bet my entire HT that Microsoft, Sony, Sega or Nintendo doesn't have anywhere near the experience with cabling as Monster or any other cable specialty company. That's what they do!
Troy
[rant off]
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, no offense but those monster cables look cheap and thin to me. Monster is the bose of the cable business and I wouldn't trust them with my 100$. Why not use the xbox HD pack and get some decent bettercables.com or make your own?

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Monster is the bose of the cable business...
rolleyes.gif

------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Any word if they'll be putting out GameCube cables?
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I also had to return my PS2 Monster Cables (component) because they just didn't work. I don't know what was wrong as it can't be too easy to screw up something as simple as a cable. They would intermitantly switch from color to black & white and the picture looked horrible. Bizzare, I know, but it was all cleared up by the Sony brand component cables.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Monster may know cables better than Sony or Nintendo, but that doesn't mean jack if they can't figure out the proper size of the proprietary PS2 A/V jack, which was just one of the problems that both of my Monster PS2 cables had. Monster = overpriced & overhyped.
------------------
Link Removed "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" Link Removed

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The proprietary optical connector is a deal-killer for me. No way am I going to pay $65, then have to shell out another $30 to use their optical cable. If I could use the optical cable I already have, I'd consider it.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

steveC

Grip
So there is no way you can use your current optical
cable with the monster cables. I to would consider
the Monster alternative if that were the case...

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Is the optical connector shown in the picture a 'female' connector? If not, there is no way that those cables can hook up to my TV, then reach my receiver.
EDIT - NM, I see that it is a 'seperate' cable (as far as length compared to the others).
I'll stick with the Adanced HDpack. I have to switch cables anyway as I don't have enough component inputs (DVD/PS2 hogging them already).
[Edited last by Tim Hess on November 16, 2001 at 02:37 PM]

Peter_A

Second Unit
From what I can see of the cables, you can use any optical cable with them since the little adapter sites on the optical dongle.
I haven't gotten my XBox yet, but I'll be ordering a set of the component cables. I guess it helps that I get the cables straight from Monster and at 10% below cost
wink.gif

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
From what I have seen (I may be wrong), but there is a proprietary connection point on the Monster video cables. The Monster optical cable (which is a standard cable), comes with the adapter needed to connect to the proprietary connection point. So, you could use another optical cable, but you still have to buy the Monster optical cable in order to get the needed adapter.
Someone in HTF should have one of these sets to verify how it is setup...
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Heath L

Grip
I picked up the Monster component and optical cables when I bought my XBox last week. The optical wire has the standard adapter on one end and then a male "headphone type" jack on the other end. It then plugs into a female end on the base of the component cables so it would stand to reason that the Monster optical wire is the only one compatible with the Monster component cables.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
So do you recommend getting the Monsters? From just looking at the cables, the cables in the MS packs looks better than VCR bundle cables but still look cheap whereas the Monsters looks inferior to other Monster products such as the PS2 cables.

Heath L

Grip
The picture is incredible on my 55" Mits widescreen with the Monster cables but I never used the standard cables that came with the XBox so I have no frame of reference. After seeing the picture they way it is now though, I have no intention of doing so either.

So to answer your question...yes, they are highly recommended.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I've been very happy with the MS HD pack, but may upgrade if someone else puts out a cable, such as Acoustic Research. On principle, I won't buy the Monster set. Forcing the consumer to buy their optical cable is lame beyond belief (not to mention over $100).

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks