What's new

"Yellow Submarine" (1968) May 29th from Capitol (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Reading the article, I don't see how the colour would have been bad on the original negs (the dupes cut in may have faded), but if they needed a LOT of work, & maybe wet gate scanning, then I suppose you're talking about a lot of money. I'm sure it will look good, there'll be a lot of sites ready to rubbish it if it's less than great looking.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I got an email from Amazon today stating that the Release Date for Yellow Submarine was pushed back a week to June 5th. A few other places around the net seem to confirm this.
David.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
One column I read (don't recall where) posited that there was such a high demand (preorders), that they wanted to make sure they could fill all the preorders on release day. So to make sure they had enough units ready, they pushed back the date. I don't know if this is true, but it sounds plausible.
David

WillG

Senior HTF Member
One column I read (don't recall where) posited that there was such a high demand (preorders), that they wanted to make sure they could fill all the preorders on release day. So to make sure they had enough units ready, they pushed back the date. I don't know if this is true, but it sounds plausible.
I suppose it's plausible, but why make everyone wait another week to receive their order as opposed to just some people?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but YS will be back in theaters in May.
http://www.yellowsubmarinethemovie.com/

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It will be digital.
I've never seen any presentations by this company. I'm hesitant to make the drive and pay $9 to see it if it's just a 1080P stream on a projector used for their in-theater ads. Does anyone have any history of seeing presentations by D&E Entertainment?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'll be seeing it next Thursday at the Hollywood ArcLight. I expect it to be a digital presentation, but they usually do well with such presentations. I'm mainly hoping for a really good audio presentation first and foremost, though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brian Kidd said:
I've never seen any presentations by this company. I'm hesitant to make the drive and pay $9 to see it if it's just a 1080P stream on a projector used for their in-theater ads. Does anyone have any history of seeing presentations by D&E Entertainment?
I would err on the side of caution and assume that it will be the usual substandard presentation that these things usually get. It's fun to see a movie that you like with a crowd of other fans but don't expect a particularly impressive presentation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We just got sent over extended information concerning
the extras on this Blu-ray disc

c631288c_TheBeatles-YellowSubmarine-Blu-raycoverart.jpeg

Yellow Submarine Synopsis:
Once upon a time… or maybe twice, there was an unearthly paradise called Pepperland, a place where happiness and music reigned supreme. But all that was threatened when the terrible Blue Meanies declared war and sent in their army led by a menacing Flying Glove to destroy all that was good. Enter John, Paul, George and Ringo to save the day! Armed with little more than their humour, songs, and of course, their yellow submarine, The Beatles tackle the rough seas ahead in an effort to bring down the evil forces of bluedom.

Production credits
Running Time: 89 minutes
Director - George Dunning
Producer - Al Brodax
Screen story - Lee Minoff
Screenplay - Lee Minoff, Al Brodax, Jack Mendelsohn, and Erich Segal
Art Director - Heinz Edelmann
Animation directors - Robert Balser and Jack Stokes
Production Executive - John Coates
Music Producer and Supervisor - George Martin

Featuring music by The Beatles

Yellow Submarine [DVD, Blu-ray]
Feature film [TRT: 89:00]
Fully restored in 4K and presented in the original aspect ratio of 1:66-1

Audio options:
English 5.1 DTS
German 5.1 DTS
Italian 5.1 DTS
English Dolby Stereo
Original Mono

Audio Commentary – Heinz Edelmann (Art Director) and John Coates (Producer)

Subtitle languages (feature only):
English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Finnish, Japanese

Extra features:
Mod Odyssey documentary [TRT: 7:30]
Original theatrical trailer [TRT: 3:30]

Storyboard sequences:
- Sea of Monsters (split screen footage) [TRT: 4:20]
- Battle of the Monsters [118 images]
- Pepperland [64 images]

Interviews:
- Paul Angelis (voice of Ringo and Chief Blue Meanie) [TRT: 1:39]
- John Clive (voice of John) [TRT: 2:03]
- David Livesey (key animator) [TRT: 1:11]
- Millicent McMillan (Heinz Edelmann’s assistant) [TRT: 1:12]
- Jack Stokes (animation director) [TRT: 3:42]
- Erich Segal (co-writer) [TRT: 1:38]

Original pencil drawings [29 images]
Behind-the-scenes photos [30 images]

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
So, it's what I expected. It has the same features as the DVD with (hopefully) better picture and an upgraded soundtrack on the film itself, minus the music-only track. It's a shame about the music track, but still worth it if the image and soundtrack are an improvement. Thanks for the update, Ron!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Just got back from seeing the it at the ArcLight Hollywood. We were privileged to have Mr. Paul Rutan of Triage Motion Picture Services and Eque Inc. with us. He oversaw the photochemical restoration and digital mastering of the film, and he and his team did a fantastic job. Looks great, sounds great, was great. Recommended to those who are privy to seek it out in the theaters, but regardless, the Blu-ray should be excellent if this was any indication.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for the report, Brandon. There are two more chances for me to go see it. I just hope the multiplex that has it near me doesn't take the cheap way out projecting this.
Does anyone know how the movie ended up with two different sequences to begin with? That seems unusual for an animated film in it's finished form. The "Beatles to battle" scene was there since I first saw it on tv in the '70's, and the 80's video release.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Got to see this in 4k resolution at the downtown Century multiplex here in SF last night...gorgeous PQ and surround audio. The image had eyepopping colors and the audio tracks sound sparkling. Can hardly wait for the blu-ray release June 5th!!!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Managed to catch a bit of it (sneaking into one of the other 'plex theaters :P ) last night, and it looks good, even though our mall-plex digital Fathom projection isn't particularly top-notch.
Maybe it was the screen size, but I noticed a lot of sharp details I'd never even seen before even on the '99 DVD--Like the Disney restorations, where the transfer is so clear, you can see the shadows of the painted cels on the backgrounds. Good use of the surround-audiio, too, although that might've been the '99 restoration as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks