What's new

"Yellow Submarine" (1968) May 29th from Capitol (1 Viewer)

Why is there a "U" triangle logo on the Amazon pre-order picture? Amazon also has two blu rays listed for pre-order. I want to make sure that I order the correct one.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The Amazon image is the British cover. I would bet you the more-expensive listing without a cover shot includes the Songtrack CD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by darkrock17 /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/60#post_3934936
Maybe next year it will be included on the "45th Anniversary"

I kinda doubt they're gonna reissue the title again just a year from now!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Colin Jacobson said:
I kinda doubt they're gonna reissue the title again just a year from now!
Why not, its a common practice now a days; just another way to bleed us dry of our money.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by darkrock17 /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/60#post_3934976
Why not, its a common practice now a days; just another way to bleed us dry of our money.
Because the Beatles LLC have been notoriously stingy about the frequency of their reissues, both audio and video...it took 22 years before their music catalog was remastered for contemporary CD standards between 1987 and 2009!!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Apple don't typically do that. Haven't seen a re-issue of Anthology or the 2009 remasters.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Nelson Au said:
Apple don't typically do that. Haven't seen a re-issue of Anthology or the 2009 remasters.
Or the Apple-restored "Help!" DVD of a few years ago.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
This is stunning - like falling into a vat of Technicolor candy. Sharp as a tack, great detail. As always, the doom and gloom brigade came out to decry the screen caps they were seeing at DVD Beaver, which, of course, do not resemble one whit of what is on the disc. The doom and gloom brigade liked the "detail" better in his DVD caps, which are - wait for it - artificially sharpened and filled with noise. Any fan of the Beatles and/or animation needs this - a brilliant job, a brilliant transfer, and one of the best looking animation transfers from that era ever.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
/t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/60#post_3934989
Or the Apple-restored "Help!" DVD of a few years ago.
Exactly. And even if Apple DID put out a BD/DVD combo next year, why would this be some irresistible release that'd force anyone to buy it?

This looks stunning! I was surprised that they removed the "Released by United Artists" credit at the end, but I guess I understand it to a degree.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Any sign of the alternate footage replaced with "Hey Bulldog"? Or mention of it in the commentary?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/60#post_3934998
This is stunning - like falling into a vat of Technicolor candy. Sharp as a tack, great detail. As always, the doom and gloom brigade came out to decry the screen caps they were seeing at DVD Beaver, which, of course, do not resemble one whit of what is on the disc. The doom and gloom brigade liked the "detail" better in his DVD caps, which are - wait for it - artificially sharpened and filled with noise. Any fan of the Beatles and/or animation needs this - a brilliant job, a brilliant transfer, and one of the best looking animation transfers from that era ever.

What Bruce said. It's gorgeous. And the sound is awesome as well. Makes one wish for the Beatles' entire catalog to be released in high-resolution Blu-ray audio.

Even the packaging is nice - a very thick, high-quality glossy cardboard slipcase, with some insert items like - gasp!- a booklet, a sheet of stickers, and animation cels of the Fab Four.

Kudos to Apple Corps & Capitol for this release!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
haineshisway said:
Damn you...I was going to hold off on buying it but that rave has convinced me otherwise. :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/319424/yellow-submarine-1968-may-29th-from-capitol/60#post_3934998

Now I have to replace the now crappy DVD.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mine showed up from Amazon via USPS today. It's a very nice package.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I had the old DVD for a while. The darn thing choked on the layer change on every player I had at the time. Eventually gave it to someone who did all their DVD watching on the PC, as it worked fine for them. They really should have had a recall on that pressing.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Chas in CT said:
Now I have to replace the now crappy DVD. 
Definitely.  I'm in for this.
Don't get rid of your 1999 DVD if the music-only track is important to you! It does not carry over to the new release.
But as others have said, the image is spectacular and like experiencing a whole new film.
It appears an issue with the mono audio track was corrected (a section was replaced with stereo audio on the DVD) and the behind the scenes "Mod Odyssey" was cleaned up as well.
The disc says it includes the original theatrical trailer, however it is a re-edit using the restored source and a re-recorded voice over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks