What's new

Yamaha RX-A840 not playing Dolby digital on new Oled TV (1 Viewer)

micky80

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I have just bought LG 65C14K oled 2021 and I can't seem to get it to recognize Yamaha RX-A840 which use for surround sound, used to work with my old LG 55LA 6230.

Is the Yamaha RX-A840 not compatible with LG 65C14K something to do with Dolby Atmos. The only way I can play dolby digital by using a Sony DVD player and alter sound settings to eARC on the LG 65C14K and it behaves like it did with my old TV set up. And its only then that it shows Dolby digital on the Yamaha.

But if I try play content from say Apple TV which is telling me its dolby atmos and go through same procedure eARC settings it's telling me its playing in PCM and not dolby digital or Atmos.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Check your tv's audio settings. It might be outputting PCM instead of bitstream over ARC.

Also you should have all external devices going directly into the receiver, so I'm not sure why you're wasting time with ARC.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The best solution is to connect everything to the receiver, then just output the video to the TV. That’s how things are supposed to be connected.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I had a Samsung 55RU8000 and it's HDMI inputs would not work with my Denon's AVR-2312ci. In my case it was OK because the Samsung TVs performance was so terrible, I was returning it anyhow. But HDMI incompatibility issues are still out there apparently. With LG being a much better company than Samsung, I'm really surprised you're having issues though. Maybe retry resetting the Yamaha and LG TV will clear things up. I tried with the Samsung TV but Samsung is just a poor company IMO. I've never owned any of their products that have ever worked right, Phones, Tablets, TVs, VCRs, etc. BTW, the Samsung replacement TV, a LG 55UM7300, and the new Hisense 65U6G, both worked with the Denon AVR-2312ci without problem.

Also I replaced all my HDMI cables with 'certified' 4K HDMI cables to make sure the HDMI cables weren't causing any problems.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I see your problem. Your receiver is a step up from mine being compatible with 4K but audio wise, it's the same and not compatible with Dolby Atmos.

All streaming devices I have will output in Dolby Atmos while outputting a 4K video. So you have to setup in your streaming device's audio setting that the highest quality Digital Stream is Dolby Digital Plus when using the HDMI from the device to your receiver. Or Dolby Digital when plugging streaming device straight to TV, then using optical audio out from TV to the receiver. Otherwise it will switch to PCM every time.

Also your Yamaha receiver only has ARC, not eARC so you can only use your TV's eARC output in ARC mode. Doesn't matter really even if both receiver and TV were eARC, your receiver doesn't support Atmos so TV will always output PCM unless audio settings changed to have highest quality set at Dolby Digital Plus.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks