What's new

XBox 360 losses top spot in US (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
NPD reported today that XBox 360, for the first time in almost three years, has lost its top spot to PS3.

Would that imply that people are not excited about PS4 and just buying PS3's or something else? At any rate, I'm sure the brass at MS running the XBox ship are not thrilled, particularly coming in to the new format war with a $100 price delta.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well, by how much did the PS3 outsell the 360? The PS4 is rumored to have preorder numbers higher than the Xbox One (and MS claims they're about the same) so I doubt it has much to do with anticipation of one more than the other. Also, the 360 has higher lifetime sales in the US (remember: these are only US numbers and not worldwide) so I can imagine that they are closer to saturating the market than the PS3.

The next-gen consoles are also not backward compatible with current-gen games, so people will want a PS3 AND a PS4 instead of just one or the other. Buying a PS3 or 360 right now is a great idea because there are a ton of cheap games and the platforms will still see new releases and support for the next couple years.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think it's more that people are saving thier money for XB1/PS4.. but Sony's notion that several PS3 exclusives will allow you to buy now and upgrade them to PS4 editions on a discount is a help to them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sam - that's a good point, but how many of those did they sell? I imagine most people who want to play GTA5 already had GTA4, meaning they already had a console that GTA could be played on so why would they now need a PS3?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
When you consider the lopsided results of the last generation of consoles I doubt the M$ brass really gives a crap that six years later Sony finally managed to catch the 360. Sony learned two valuable lessons from this generation: a year delay kills and a $600 console (at a loss no less) kills. Microsoft really only learned one: We cant make reliable hardware. Sony is on track to correct those mistakes with this next generation, hopefully M$ will do the same.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think worldwide Sony actually sold nearly the same number of PS3s as Microsoft sold 360s. And the Wii sold more than either one in lifetime worldwide sales.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think the PS3 actually sold more units than the 360 worldwide, but not by much. The 360 came out a year earlier, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks