What's new

PS4 outpaces XBox one 2:1 in January (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Over the holiday season, PS4 and XBox One were essentially tied for number of console sales.The January sales report from NPD shows that the PS4 sold 2X the units of the XBox One. Of course, both consoles are dramatically down from their "can't keep the shelves stocked" pace over the holidays with PS4 selling 280K units vs. XBox One's 145K units.Microsoft had an interesting response to the NPD report pointing to the fact that the when you factor in Xbox One and Xbox 360 both, then Microsoft leads. How Yusuf Medhi, the Marketing head of Microsoft, interpreted the NPD report in the company’s favor is beyond me. What about PS3 + PS4 combined?I wonder if this is more about the $100 price delta between the two platforms and people really wondering if NUI (Kinect) has a value prop that is worth the $100?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think Sony actually had sold 1 million more PS4s than MS had actually sold XB1s by the end of 2013, but MS was saying they shipped (as in, put on store shelves but didn't necessarily sell) 4 million consoles. So currently its something like 5.5 million PS4s, 4ish million XB1s, and about 6 million Wii Us.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That article about TITANFALL playing better on a 145 dollar PC video card than on XBOXONE isn't exactly a good sales pitch for spending 500 bucks on an XBONE,when you could build a PC for about the same price and get better performance.

Maybe its a godsend for SONY that this game isn't going to be on PS4. TITANFALL looked like it could be good, but if its only strength is online multi-player then that leaves it out for me. I like story driven games a lot more than playing run and guns with an army of professional video game soldiers to contend with. When I read some of the comments on those game sites, I cannot figure how any casual player would even want to play online games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm skeptical of Titanfall being a big deal. It's not XBO exclusive because its on 360 and PC. I'd also imagine anyone who cares about it THAT MUCH already has an XBO.

So far, the sales numbers, from what I saw in the headline of an article, are somewhere around 3.5 million XBO to 5.5 million PS4, and that's not counting the PS4 launched in Japan today. Early numbers aren't that meaningful, but that's why so many people thought the Wii U was still going to be a hit last spring, right?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm skeptical of Titanfall being a big deal. It's not XBO exclusive because its on 360 and PC. I'd also imagine anyone who cares about it THAT MUCH already has an XBO.

So far, the sales numbers, from what I saw in the headline of an article, are somewhere around 3.5 million XBO to 5.5 million PS4, and that's not counting the PS4 launched in Japan today. Early numbers aren't that meaningful, but that's why so many people thought the Wii U was still going to be a hit last spring, right?
Ha ha. The way MattCR was talking about Mario 3D almost made me want to go and buy one of the things, and I don't even like the Mario Brothers franchise.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Edwin-S said:
Ha ha. The way MattCR was talking about Mario 3D almost made me want to go and buy one of the things, and I don't even like the Mario Brothers franchise.
Don't knock it. Picked up donkey kong tropical freeze. Brilliant

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Don't knock it. Picked up donkey kong tropical freeze. Brilliant
I'm not. You've almost got me convinced to buy one of the bloody things to see what I've been missing. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks