What's new

"X-Men Origins: First Class" (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
On a side note, did anyone else have the Red Band Trailer to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before their screening of First Class?

I thought it was odd.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Best film I've seen so far this year and maybe the best comic book origin movie ever.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My favorite X-men film, by far. And I was really wearied by #3. If they can keep the triumvirate of Fassbender, McAvoy and Vaughn together, I'm in for as many films as they choose to do together.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I hate to see this movie fail at the box office. Hope it gets good legs. I wonder how much it would have to make for a sequel to get the green light? If it doesn't will fox still make one just to keep the rights to the franchise?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jose Martinez said:
I hate to see this movie fail at the box office. Hope it gets good legs.
My guess is that since word of mouth is good, it will have a smaller drop off than most 'blockbusters' do in their second and third weeks. What's working against it is that there's a new 'blockbuster' each week for at least the next month (Super 8, Green Lantern, Cars 2, Transformers 3, Harry Potter 7/8, Captain America).

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I've always felt that the X-men series has a sort of gravitas that other series don't have.

It feels less like a creation for promotional Mcdonalds items than let's say Spidey or Hulk which i believe

are aimed more at kids.

But that Wolverine film,man !

That reminded me of Seinfeld.

Seinfeld works great because of George,Kramer and Elaine but as we've all seen,save for Julia-Louis Dreyfuss

for a small bit each of those actors alone failed miserably with series on their own.

Wolverine may be the coolest mother ever to walk the earth,but he's STILL part of a team called the X-Men.

or at least,if youre going to do an solo film ,have an easy way out,tell Xavier you need time to think that sort of thing,then

trouble finds you but don't invent some crappy backstory about natural blades and a brother if just a few years ago someone

else established something totally different in 2 other films.

(remember SYBOK ? Spock's brother who was never ever mentioned for 22 years till ST 5 ?)

I don't want all films to follow the canon of the comics completely,all the time,but i just feel there should not be ten origins to a character.

And as i like to say,superheroes need more huge monsters and robots to fight,so please Marvel,more sentinels and not just a quick view

of an upside down head.Enough with the one guy played by so and so..

Monsters.Robots.Remember ? Ask Nicolas Cage he might have kept a few number 1's before he sold his collection.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Cory S.

The final flaw is the ending of the film. Essentially, the film places our characters in the positions they need to be in to fall in line with Singer's first film, which hinders the potential of sequels. Because the film is so good and the chemistry between McAvoy and Fassbender is so good, we hate that they break at the end of this film. I think we needed another film about their alliance before the eventual death of the friendship. The film earns its ending but it's not really the right ending.

Still, easily better than X-Men The Last Stand and Origins Wolverine. From a continuity perspective, it pretty much takes its cues from X-Men and X2, leaving the last two films out in the cold.

Yeah, I was disappointed by that ending, as well, wanting to have more story with these characters. It seems like they tied up the end of this film to slide right into the first X-Men film.

Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy

and my one major beef is,although i know it can somewhat be explained up to a degree,im thinking the whole film is

basically Magneto wanting to kill Sebastian Shaw right ?

So why does he destroy a lab full of metal but not Shaw RIGHT after he's killed his mom..plus he lets Shaw put his arm around him ? this is

why we need a WTF smiley.

I didn't understand that, either. I kept waiting for young Magneto to shred Shaw with some of those surgical tools flying around. He did kill the guards, after all, so why not Shaw?

I also didn't understand why, when Shaw was wearing his metal helmet, Magneto didn't just crush the helmet with Shaw's head inside, like he did to the Nazi guards. Why was it necessary to go through all the deception to get his helmet off so that Xavier could enter his mind, just to have Erik kill him anyway?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I believe Shaw could absorb all sorts of energy, including kinetic energy, so the metal flying at him would be very much the same as any other sort of attack. That's why Magneto needed Xavier to freeze Shaw before he could deliver the final blow. That, and he'd been carrying that Nazi coin around for a long, long time. He wanted to use it for his intended purpose.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I believe Shaw could absorb all sorts of energy, including kinetic energy, so the metal flying at him would be very much the same as any other sort of attack.

The film should have showed that, so that the audience would realize that Shaw was a mutant. Shaw did not get a good "reveal" as a mutant without that scene. I mean, yeah, the red-haired older guy from 24 said "Younna saying you a mutant too?" when he was visiting Shaw on a boat, but a scene in the Nazi camp would have been much more of a revelation.

About Magneto's helmet -- we do not know that the helmet is actually metal. It could be some kind of plastic.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Magneto wanted the helmet to fend off Prof X -- he's wearing it three movies later, although apparently with a new paint job and fins. So don't break the helmet. Also, crushing Shaw's skull might not work. But slowly inserting the coin and then hopefully whisking his brain with it....

(Which is not to say that there were not dozens of actual tactical errors regarding the use of powers.)

And no hurry in showing Shaw is a mutant. Don't you suspect he's a mutant anyway? Almost every major character is. (And everyone else is a case of Hey! It's That Guy casting.)

Did it look like they just digitally -- and poorly -- put Rebecca Romjin's head on top of the body, instead of having her come in and slip under the sheet in an actual cameo? Seems like cheating.

Quote: Originally Posted by Will_B

WTF? There was no indication that Kevin Bacon's character was what he was, and there was no explanation for how he turned into what he was, if he was not what he was at the beginning. That was weirdly written.

He was Born That Way. He also says that his power keeps him young. I agree it's thin, but what other explanation were you expecting?

Originally Posted by JonZ

Best use of the f-word in a PG-13 movie since Anchorman.

Sounds like a new category for the MTV Movie Awards.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Will_B

The film should have showed that, so that the audience would realize that Shaw was a mutant. Shaw did not get a good "reveal" as a mutant without that scene. I mean, yeah, the red-haired older guy from 24 said "Younna saying you a mutant too?" when he was visiting Shaw on a boat, but a scene in the Nazi camp would have been much more of a revelation.

About Magneto's helmet -- we do not know that the helmet is actually metal. It could be some kind of plastic.

There were more than a few scenes in the film which left little doubt he's a mutant including killing one of them, never aging and being exposed to a nuclear reactor without any affect on him.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The first scene he's in he's talking about genes. Then when 20 years have passed he hasn't aged. Then he takes the grenade from the General. Seemed like a pretty good explanation of his powers to me. Hell, he even verbally explains why he doesn't age to the General.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
But to me, he appeared older when he was working for the Nazis, and younger by several years when he was on the boat.

Yes, he did not age. He also reversed his age a bit.

That was confusing.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

There were more than a few scenes in the film which left little doubt he's a mutant including killing one of them, never aging and being exposed to a nuclear reactor without any affect on him.

That was later. My point was they missed an opportunity to do a dramatic reveal at the start, in favor of just letting that info come out later, on the boat. Missed opportunity, and young Magneto's failure to attack him in the Nazi office makes no sense as others have pointed out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree it was confusing (though I didn't see it as a detriment to the film, which I loved).

I actually thought it was this: he wasn't a mutant at the beginning. The "work" that he did after he discovered Erik led to him either gaining his mutant power, or augmenting it (maybe he had a lower functioning mutant like Hank McCoy did and his work had the same type of effect that Hank's syringe did on his body).

But to me, he appeared older when he was working for the Nazis, and younger by several years when he was on the boat.

Yes, he did not age. He also reversed his age a bit.

That was confusing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
and young Magneto's failure to attack him in the Nazi office makes no sense as others have pointed out.

That's what made no sense to me. A boy just watched a man murder his mother and he kills everyone in the room except the guy that pulled the trigger with no explanation for why he did not, or could not, kill him as well.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

That's what made no sense to me. A boy just watched a man murder his mother and he kills everyone in the room except the guy that pulled the trigger with no explanation for why he did not, or could not, kill him as well.

The entire genesis of the events were do to the fact he had no control over his powers at all, that seems like plenty of explanation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That was later. My point was they missed an opportunity to do a dramatic reveal at the start, in favor of just letting that info come out later, on the boat. Missed opportunity, and young Magneto's failure to attack him in the Nazi office makes no sense as others have pointed out.

Which they apparently did on purpose and I'm glad they as it worked better for me being revealed later on.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Magneto couldn't control his power when he was a kid, and Bacon's character wasn't wearing a metal helmet that Magneto could wildly crush like he did with the two guards. Doesn't seem like anything to get hung up about. Also, Bacon's character was not afraid of Magneto's abilities like someone would be unless he was a mutant himself, he was also an evil psychopath but mutants aren't going to be taking orders from a human.

mike caronia

Second Unit
I'm actually a little surprised at how well received this film has been.

As a huge X-Men fan, the liberties taken with the actual history read by fans over the years is so all over the place it wrankles my feathers a bit.

I understand what Singer was doing, but he bastardizes Marvel comics with this current version so much, it saddens me to see so many people calling it 'the greatest comic adapatation ever'. I read the old X-Men books...there's at least 3 different X-era stories going on at once in this film.

One other thing really bothered me a ton...James McAvoy coasting in and out of a pseudo Austin Powers personality throughout the first half of the film...did anyone else find that totally non-Prof X-like?

Movies like Batman Begins or even Iron Man....are far better comic adaptations..

At least from a this comic book fan's perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks