What's new

X-Box - Using S-video but digital audio possible? (1 Viewer)

Lorne

Agent
In trying to decide if I'll keep my Outlaw 1050 or return it (I'm still within 30 days) and wait for the Onkyo 600, I'm trying to figure which will maximize the hardware I already have -- namely, my X-box which I'm using as a DVD player, and a 27' inch Sony TV with S-video in. At some future point I'll buy a dedicated DVD player and TV with component video but this is what I have for now.
I really like the Outlaw but it does not have component video switching, just S-video. If I could get optical or coax audio output from the X-box in conjunction with S-video out, then I'd keep the Outlaw since I'm very satisfied with the video quality I'm now getting. However, if the only way to get digital audio out of X-box is with the Hi Def pack that requires component video hook ups, then I suppose I'll have to return the Outlaw wait for the Onkyo. Does anyone have any advice?
This is a learn as I go process for me so far so I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks,
LT

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
If you buy the S-Video box from Microsoft($20) it has a slot for an optial cable. I dont have Svideo but had to buy one just to get 5.1.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yes, the "Advanced A/V Pack" by Microsoft is the one you need, comes with an S-video out and a Toslink Optical digital out as well as your basic RCA analog video. It'll also come with S-video and RCA audio cables together but you'll need to supply the optical cable yourself.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks