What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Woody Woodpecker Bluray (1 Viewer)

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Maybe Kino will give us something...and hopefully including the four hilarious Tex Avery Chilly Willy shorts.

Kino has mentioned unless Warner or Disney opens up their vaults that they aren't doing any more animated shorts. I'm guessing that the Pink Panther sets didn't sell as well as they hoped.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Well, Warner Bros is opening its vaults...

So far, Kino mentioned that they have been unable to get a deal with Warner. I would imagine Warner would want to release their stuff themselves. Now, Disney which shows no interest in their old library that would get me salivating but I wouldn't imagine the House of Mouse would let Kino have them either.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
So far, Kino mentioned that they have been unable to get a deal with Warner. I would imagine Warner would want to release their stuff themselves. Now, Disney which shows no interest in their old library that would get me salivating but I wouldn't imagine the House of Mouse would let Kino have them either.

I was responding to your message that Kino said they were out of the short cartoon business unless Warner or Disney "opened their vaults." Woody Woodpecker is from Universal. Kino has a massive new licensing deal with Universal. That is all I was saying. Yes, seeing Disney's shorts (especially the Sill Symphonies) get release, even if from their Movie Club, would be massively desirable. But the studio is notoriously unpredictable. And it's first Blu release of shorts, that Mickey Mouse disc, was a disaster insofar as PQ goes. Crap color and DNR.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I was responding to your message that Kino said they were out of the short cartoon business unless Warner or Disney "opened their vaults." Woody Woodpecker is from Universal. Kino has a massive new licensing deal with Universal. That is all I was saying. Yes, seeing Disney's shorts (especially the Sill Symphonies) get release, even if from their Movie Club, would be massively desirable. But the studio is notoriously unpredictable. And it's first Blu release of shorts, that Mickey Mouse disc, was a disaster insofar as PQ goes. Crap color and DNR.

I'm just saying that I'm taken the Insider's comment to mean that there is no more cartoons unless they can get access to the Warner or Disney vaults.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Maybe Kino will give us something...and hopefully including the four hilarious Tex Avery Chilly Willy shorts.

Only two of the four Avery Universal cartoons are Chilly Willy titles. The other two are one-shots, but they are indeed hilarious. The end of SH-H-H-H-H-H used to scare me when I was a kid.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I would be satisfied if they at least released a volume 3 and 4 on DVD to finish the Woody Cartoons.
I hear you, the difference between what Universal owns with all the Walter Lantz cartoons, and every other Studio is marketability. Disney oh, hell everyone knows who Disney is, Warner Brothers and Looney Tunes those have been in continuous run since the dawn of time. Tom and Jerry; oh they get some play on Boomerang and kids know who they are because every once in awhile Warner Brothers will release an updated crap version of what was once the greatest comedy duo of all time. Popeye, Popeye is something special that Warner archive collection figured out

It's an older group that's collecting these and want to see these done correctly the same as what is going to buy the Tex Avery collection. If Universal had a comprehensive way like Warners archive to release these titles I'd be all over it. As is we have to look to Kino or Shout Factory! For some kind of future possible release that's comprehensive. When that happens I'll be all over it, because Woody is an annoying little cuss and he's funny as hell.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Only two of the four Avery Universal cartoons are Chilly Willy titles. The other two are one-shots, but they are indeed hilarious. The end of SH-H-H-H-H-H used to scare me when I was a kid.

Yes, correct, only two of the four were Chilly Willy. All four of these cartoons is a gem. They are on the three-disc WW DVD set from a few years back, but of course I'd prefer to have them on Bly-ray.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I hear you, the difference between what Universal owns with all the Walter Lantz cartoons, and every other Studio is marketability. Disney oh, hell everyone knows who Disney is, Warner Brothers and Looney Tunes those have been in continuous run since the dawn of time. Tom and Jerry oh they get some play on Boomerang and kids know who they are because every once in awhile Warner Brothers will release an updated crap version of what was once the greatest comedy duo of all time. Popeye, Popeye is something special that Warner archive collection figured out Disney, hell everyone knows who Disney is, water brothers and Looney Tunes Those of been in continuous run since the dawn of time. Tom and Jerry They get some play on boomerang and kids know who they are because every once in awhile Warner Brothers over the leasing updated crap version of what was once the greatest comedy do all of all time. Popeye, papaya something special that Warner archive collection figured out. It's an older group that's collecting these and want to see these done correctly the same as what is going to buy the Tex Avery collection. If Universal had a comprehensive way like Warners archive to release these titles I'd be all over it. As is we have to look to Kino or Shout Factory! For some kind of future possible release that's comprehensive. When that happens I'll be all over it, because Woody is an annoying little cuss and he's funny as hell.
Agreed and I hadn't thought about like that before. Woody and Walter Lantz seem to have been forgotten about since the late 80's. All the Walter Lantz cartoons were shown on TV regularly in the 70's and early 80's when I grew up. NBC even had reruns of the Woody Woodpecker show on for a few years for Saturday morning- 1976-1978. So that's why I'm a big fan. But when cable took over in the late 80's Woody and the Lantz cartoons seem to be largely forgotten about.

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
You're referring to Celebrating Mickey, I take it? Most of the shorts on that disc didn't look that bad to me, but some, namely Steamboat Willie (same old "pristine" Lowry Digital master; it says something when the disc's (sadly) only black-and-white short's latest official restoration was supervised by the same company behind one of George Lucas' altered editions of the original Star Wars trilogy), The Band Concert, and Thru the Mirror (crappy recreated titles on the latter two, plus both reasons you stated), do indeed look "disastrous".

I say the main feature of the 30th anniversary Mickey's Christmas Carol disc looks worse than any of the shorts on Celebrating Mickey...and that's saying something.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
One thing I was surprised to learn is that the last theatrical Woody Woodpecker cartoon came out in 1972, long after WB and MGM gave up on animated shorts and after Disney reduced them to occasional events.

I say the main feature of the 30th anniversary Mickey's Christmas Carol disc looks worse than any of the shorts on Celebrating Mickey...and that's saying something.

The 4x3 non-smeary transfer of Winnie the Pooh and a Day For Eeyore suggests what could have been had they taken a less heavy-handed approach. I couldn't even buy the MCC Blu-ray; it actually looked better on DVD, and that had the concurrent making-of documentary!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks