What's new

Woman loses weight by only eating at McDonald's (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Darn, I was going to mention the child molestors and theater-talkers! Oh well. :)

Is it safe for me to mention the book "Fast Food Nation"? Great book - and it doesn't demonize the fast food industry. I don't think McDonald's is evil myself - and besides I see a lot of press and TV spots on how eating too much fast food is problematic that I think everyone in the Western World should be well-informed enough to know the risks. If people continue to eat too much of this stuff, that is their own darned fault!

The only way I can see McDonald's being the villain is if they use their lobbying influence in Congress (and other world governments) to suppress the facts of fast food. That would be evil.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Considering the warnings on cigarette packages, and all of the risks that we KNOW about, people still smoke, so I hardly think any sort of "McDonald's is Evil" campaign is going to changes anyones mind.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately there is a large percentage of people in this country whom the only exercise they get is exercising their right to be ignorant.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
True
Would someone with brittle bones be dumb enough to play rugby?
Would fair skinned people be dumb enough to coat themselves with sun tan lotion and sit in the sun all day?
Would people with asthma volunteer to babysit 30 cats for 2 weeks?

So when people do STUPID/STUPID things, there's nothing "in poor taste" by pointing out their stupidity.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Except in this case it's apparently the unpictured parents engaging in the stupidity. Syndrome or not, it isn't the children't fault.

Eric was right that using the picture of the children was in poor taste.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think that's what we were pointing out. If your kids are THAT big, you have to be the biggest moron to bring them to McD's and let them engorge themselves.

And even if they didn't have the disease, it's still a moronic thing for a parent to do.

While it's sad that the kids are only learning by their parents example, it's stupidity that just pisses me off SO MUCH! :angry:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

Voting is a privilidge, not a right. No where in the Constitution are you granted the right to vote, it's left entirely up to the states (to f' it up however they please :D) I assume most states deny corporations the privilidge to vote, as someone rich could form 100,000 small but legal corporations and totally upset the balance of the vote in an election year.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

You miss the point - whatever they eat they are overweight - regardless. Refusing them food is child abuse. Giving them chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, and granola produces nothing different than a diet of celery and water. Denying them a diverse palatebased solely on their appearance would be more abusive than allowing them the same culinary diversity as the rest of the world.
If they were overweight as a result of their bad diet then restraint would be acceptable - but as I recall these boys are overweight through no fault beyond unfortunate genetics.
In any case I am certain that posting their photo on the internet for ridicule would be far closer to abuse than anything their parents feed them.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I don't care what kind of disease you have, a fully supersized junk food meal for a six year old is never a good thing.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But when I see a "problem case" and the parents do the complete opposite to help them, you can't help but to laugh. It's just that sad.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Everyone: For this thread to continue, please talk about the first post and what that woman did. If you must talk about Supersize Me, go to the thread about it in the Movies section. Only mention the title sparingly here. Thank you. JB

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor

2. No one is advocating refusing food to children in this, or any other condition.

3. Cookies and ice cream vs. celery and water..completely unfounded. Not to mention celery and water would be just as unhealthy for different reasons.

4. Appearance was never called into question. Being severly overewight, especially at that age, is about health, not aesthetics.

5. A parent's right to ignorance stops when jeopardy of their children's health begins. Spurlock and the woman in the article were responsible for their actions wherever our opinions lay about their results. Parents are bound by the law not to harm their children.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

A corporation represents a group of people and in certain aspects of the law, they are considered one "person." Since it represents a group of people, a corporation cannot vote because you can't vote twice.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Who says healthy food tastes like crap though? I'll eat steak as much as the next guy as long as it was cooked by me or a restaurant, and not processed far away, refridgerated for storage, then heated up when it's time to eat.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think it's a generalized statement. Our bodies tend to crave unhealthy things, so usually healthy things don't satisfy our cravings as much as that big ol' donut does. :D

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Very true. My posts might make me sound like a health nut, but really I just try to be very aware. Haagen-Daz is a regular menu item for me and I have fast food from time to time along with a nice T-bone or a great medium rare fillet.

Longevity is certainly not the only thing in life but that's an incomplete picture. The effects people need to worry about don't just amount to a few years at the end of their life. They can manifest in degenerative conditions that can leave them debillitated for decades. Even though genetics have as much to do with that outcome as simple dietary choices, what kind of quality of life would that be. Picture children with the condition shown earlier frequently downing food known to drastically increase HDL cholesteral, clog arteries and adversely affect blood sugar. They're not going to be worried about reaching 90...they're more likely to be concerned about making it through their 20's without bypass surgery or a full heart transplant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks