What's new

Wolf Lake Cancelled!!!! (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sorry to those of you who are disappointed by this news. However, I'm laughing my head off due to irony.
You see, I recently moved into a new apartment. My move was seriously hindered by a TV crew, in fact I almost couldn't move in. Apparently, they failed to notify the building of the impending filming.
I got PO'd at one of the crew guys and remarked something like, "Seems like a big fuss for a show nobody is going to watch anyway."
By now you've probably guessed, it was Wolf Lake.
(I'm not trying to be nasty to anyone who watched the show, just thought I'd share what I think is an amusing anecdote.)
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 30, 2001 at 02:17 PM]

derek

Second Unit
Ah...*shrugs* I was sorta getting into this. I think there was some major potential with the whole 'human nature vs. clan' struggle. It was actually a quite intelligent rework of the werewolf genre IMHO. I think the show would have done much better on FOX or SCIFI catering to those audiences.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
It wouldn't have done any better on Fox as they don't let shows "mature" on their network anymore. Think of all the shows that could have been great if only given a chance:
1. Brimstone
2. The Lone Gunmen
3. Freakylinks
and the list goes on.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I guess it was a good thing that Tim Matheson didn't quit his "day job" on West Wing.

Damian

Agent
WOW CBS really doesn't give a show a chance in hell anymore now do they? They pulled Ed O'Neils show last year after only what, three or four episodes? And it was a really good show.
I really enjoyed Wolf Lake.
Oh well, you can't cry for too long. This happens every year.
------------------
-Damian

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Can someone post a link to the source of this report? I haven't found anything on the web regarding this.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 4:09 AM
CBS Ditches 'Wolf Lake'
By Michael Schneider
HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - CBS has drained ``Wolf Lake,'' but the news is better for the network's fellow rookie drama ``The Agency.''
CBS placed the spooky thriller ``Lake'' on hiatus after four airings Monday, while ordering five additional scripts of the spook drama ``Agency.''
Despite a teaser campaign that promised partial nudity (viewer discretion advised, of course), audiences didn't howl for ``Wolf.'' The drama averaged only 6.6 million viewers, down 40% from what CBS' Wednesday night movie pulled in the 10 p.m. hour last year.
CBS execs are mulling how to fill the show's time slot, but haven't yet decided. Candidates include the John Wells drama ``Citizen Baines,'' which has languished on Saturdays.
CBS had previously announced plans to air an edited version of ``The Concert for New York,'' which was telecast by sibling cabler VH1 on Oct. 13, in ``Wolf Lake's'' time slot this week.
``Wolf Lake'' followed the creepy goings-on in a small town where residents can morph into wolves. Lou Diamond Phillips starred as a sheriff who comes to town to investigate the disappearance of a prominent town leader's daughter.
After picking up the series, CBS reworked the show's original pilot, making a number of tweaks such as turning Phillips' character into a law officer. Sharon Lawrence and Mia Kirshner were added to the cast, which also included Tim Matheson and Graham Greene.
CBS had hoped to attract younger eyeballs with ``Wolf.'' The network at least brought more young males to the hour, posting 29% gains among men 18-34 and 10% among men 18-49 vs. last year's femme-focused movie. But overall, ``Wolf'' was down 9% among all adults 18-34 and 18% with adults 18-49.
Also:
The dark cloud of cancellation finally started to rain on CBS' low-rated new drama "Wolf Lake." After hitting network lows for CBS in its time slot for successive weeks the eye network decided enough was enough and have axed the show. In better news, CBS has ordered five additional scripts for "The Agency," a solid sign the show is on its way to a full season order. Despite getting punished by NBC's "ER" in its time slot the series has nevertheless posted gains over last season's "48 Hours" ratings there last year.
lifted from www.thefutoncritic.com

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No! Don't move "Citizen Baines" there! I like "Citizen Baines", but not yet enough to forgo "Law & Order".
I can't say this surprises me; I bailed after the pilot, one of the most painful hours of television I've seen. It is good to see some faith shown in "The Agency", though. It's not as slick as, say, "Alias" or (likely) "24", but it's a good spy show with a nice cast and (thankfully) self-contained stories. Current events have just hammered it, though, as CBS keeps finding reasons to pull episodes.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
I've watched the Wolf Lake episodes, and while I enjoyed it I always felt that it had that whole atmosphere of potential cancellation about it. I mean, how long could they reasonably keep Lou Diamond Phillips' character in the dark about the town's secret? It was already starting to get ridiculous.
I am glad about The Agency. I had to laugh two weeks ago when the episode was yanked. My ReplayTV recorded the time slot as an episode of The Agency with the title "Anthrax" and the description that the team had to work to prevent the release of anthrax in D.C. I was all set to praise CBS' courage when I played it and found an episode of CSI from last year. The funniest thing is that a text crawl blamed the change on the president's press conference running long
laugh.gif
, and that they would air the current week's episode the following week. Yeah right!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
burns2.gif
Release the hounds!
smithers2.gif

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Kinda makes you wonder, I mean, many shows don't do that great at the beginning. I remember how much Buffy seemed like a failure, and now it's a cult classic, but if I recall, didn't really heat up with fans and critics until like the second season. I think some shows just need time to grow...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I seem to remember "Buffy" having pretty good buzz early. Until recently, the WB network had a reputation for bending over backwards to give shows where they saw potential a chance - I mean, heck, they gave "Jack & Jill" a second season, and I was actually surprised when "Grosse Pointe" didn't get a second chance.
Also, how expensive is "Wolf Lake"? It doesn't have an A-list cast, but it's a solid B-list one. If it's costly, troubled (they had to recast and restaff it once already), and bleeding viewers, why try to save it?
Still, it did sort of get knocked around because of 9/11 - it's tough to build an audience when you're pre-empted several times in the first few weeks.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
CBS never again.
American Gothic
Magnificent Seven
Now and Again
Wolf lake
good shows = gets cancelled

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
In a way yes. You can't miss what you never see. Since CBS is going to cancel it anyway why bother?
Of course in the real world if they put on another show that sounds good, I'll probably give it a try and curse them when they cancel it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd rather have seen the good stuff, even if there's not much of it, than not. Better to have loved and lost and all that.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
What?!?! Something with Lou Diamond Phillips bombing?!? That's inconceivable!!!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykayjohnson73
Recent bookmarks