Wol

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by leeha, Jan 27, 2013.

1. leeha

leeha Auditioning

Can my sony bd send wol to my buffalo nas? How?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    ???

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    From what I know of wol (wake on LAN), which isn't much, many newer models of Blu-ray player (for Sony, it's 2012 and newer) can receive wol, but nothing that I have read indicates they can send wol. That appears to be a feature that is relegated to the computer/hardware realm.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Show you how out of the loop I am on woL... I thought it was more for business. Having the internet wake up your computer is great. But...how many of us, at home, turn off the internet? Unless there is a NAS with built-in sleep mode??? (does that exist?) and the periphery devices wake it up? Edit: I did find posts on various other forums discussing woL on NAS(go figure) around April '12. All of them say a computer must initiate wake-up. Wonder if that, by default, means a Roku/Netgear TV etc can act as the computer???? My NAS stays on, same with the router(NAS is USB on the router as I use the built-in Netgear protocals...) But I only use it for music and very few pictures. I know how to do movies on it(and have the DLNA devices to run them)...I just don't care for what all I lose with a ripped movie.

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I thought the WOL feature started sleeping disks re-spinning, I didn't think it actually turned on the NAS. I also thought the feature was embedded in the NAS, the network device requesting the NAS service doesn't have to do anything special (e.g., no protocol/API). (I'm typing this from memory; didn't bother to look anything up.)

6. leeha

leeha Auditioning

Tanks. To explain my problem: My buffalo nas has a auto Power setting. It is then turned off after a specified time. I would like The nas to wake up when i try to open files on it, from my sony bd player.

7. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    You didn't say which device you had, but according to their web site they all have disk stand-by mode, and that will definitely wake-up on an access request. I'm guessing the power port is used for synchronization to a UPS, for auto power-down.