What's new

Wireless PS2 controller anyone? (1 Viewer)

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I just found this new wireless controller for PS on the internet last week and I wanted to let you guys know about it. For the little bit I've used it, it seems like a very high quality controller. Kind of expensive but I can't stand wires after using the Wavebird.

Check it out the info and reviews at the websites below and let me know what you think.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/409/409...91&submit.y=20

http://www.fountech.com/airstyle.html

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I've been considering picking this up. I already have the Logitech controller, and while the wireless function is spot-on, I find the analog sticks to be a bit "floaty" and way too loose. It's also very easy to push them in and click L3/R3. Does the Airstyle have the same "feel" as a wired PS2 controller?

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
Well I've used the controller some more and for the short time I've used it I am very UNIMPRESSED. They have the PS2 controller feel spot-on, BUT I've experienced nothing but a ton of delay. Occasionaly it works like it's supposed to for a few minutes but then begins to act up again. Not responding to button/analog stick presses etc. I guess I must not have gotten one of the "review" versions.

I'm hoping this is just a faulty controller and I have already contacted both Fountech and Hyper-Cafe by e-mail about this problem. I will keep you guys updated with how they respond but until then I wouldn't run out and buy this controller yet.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Hmmm, after those reviews I was seriously looking into getting one, keep us updated Brian.
One of the downsides of the 900MHz frequency is quite a bit of stuff operates there, so it could just be bad in your location from time to time when it stops responding. I know my usually-excellent Wavebird acts funny from time to time like there's some kind of momentary interference (regardless of what channel I put it on), making the input jumpy or temporarily non-working.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
It's not set in the "Eco" mode. I actually put it in the Eco mode to see how it would respond and it made it even worse.

Does anyone know if the Wavebird operates in the 900 MHz frequency range? I use the Wavebird in the same environment and have never experienced any problems with it.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Brian, did the Fountech Airstyle ever improve in performance? Did you get a replacement? This month's PSM has another laudatory review.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
Nope. The performance never got any better. It seems to work for a while but out of the blue it just stops working. I was really bummed out too because I read all the reviews saying that the controller works great. I got a replacement and it still did not perform correctly. Hyper-cafe claims that I have "interference". I don't know if that's true or not (I live in an apartment), BUT in the same "interference" environment my Wavebird works flawlessly.

I will be waiting for the properly developed Sony wireless.

BUT if anyone wants to give this controller a shot I'll sell it for $35. Buyer pays shipping. Shoot me an e-mail if interested. [email protected]

mark14

Auditioning
Real Name
mark davis smith
I've used the controller some more and for the short time I've used it I am very UNIMPRESSED. They have the PS2 controller feel spot-on, BUT I've experienced nothing but a ton of delay. Occasionally it works like it's supposed to for a few minutes but then begins to act up again. Not responding to button/analog stick presses etc. I guess I must not have gotten one of the "review" versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks