What's new

Windows 10 and showing hidden files...need help! (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I was drug kicking and screaming into Windows 10 when my old Win 7 machine bit the dust week before last. I'm not finding anything too difficult except for one thing-displaying hidden files. I know they generally hide them for a reason, but I simply want to be able to see photo files in my music folders. Windows Media Player has a nasty habit of assigning the wrong cover art for a release, so I have to go in and correct it. When this happened before when using my 7 machine, it cluttered up my folders with all kinds of needless pictures, some of which Media Player insists upon reusing even AFTER I have changed it back the way I want it. I have followed the steps Google shows to the letter, yet I'm unable to access them. I'm not a computer dummy, but I am stumped.

Oh, and I could use some suggestions on audio recording software for 10. I have used Polderbits for YEARS. They've went out of business, and my access key will no longer work. I found someone who had the program available for download. It's giving me the customary 7 day free trial, and I think they always extend you for another 7 days. For anyone who's familiar with the program, I need the same basic functions-recording from line in or "what you hear on speakers," as well as click/crackle filter and noise reduction. I don't need any fancy dancy cutting and pasting or anything "professional." I transfer my LP's, tapes, and 8-tracks to the computer to digitize.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Can't help with the second question but concerning the first one, If I'm understanding you correctly your problem is not with viewing hidden files but with editing metadata. The thumbnail for most music file types [MP3, M4A, FLAC etc] is embedded in the actual file. To change it you need to use appropriate audio playback software such as iTunes or Windows Media Player.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Can't help with the second question but concerning the first one, If I'm understanding you correctly your problem is not with viewing hidden files but with editing metadata. The thumbnail for most music file types [MP3, M4A, FLAC etc] is embedded in the actual file. To change it you need to use appropriate audio playback software such as iTunes or Windows Media Player.
No, I need to view hidden files. I can edit the info on it just fine.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Unless I'm misunderstanding also which I get the idea I am:

Control Panel/ File Explorer Options / View
Choose Show Hidden Files, Folders, adn drives
Also can unselect Hide Protected OS Files (recommended)

I'm just sure this is the kind of hidden file change that would allow you to do what you describe

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Unless I'm misunderstanding also which I get the idea I am:

Control Panel/ File Explorer Options / View
Choose Show Hidden Files, Folders, adn drives
Also can unselect Hide Protected OS Files (recommended)

I'm just sure this is the kind of hidden file change that would allow you to do what you describe
Maybe I can explain a bit better, or at least try. What I need to do is see what hidden photos are in each music folder. Windows Media Player has a nasty habit of assigning the wrong cover art, especially on reissues. Windows keeps those files hidden for some reason. I can physically change the artwork to what it's supposed to be, but then sometimes Media Player gets stubborn and reassigns the incorrect artwork. I learned that if I delete the incorrect files, it stops doing that.

I'm following those steps to the letter and it still isn't showing me anything. Maybe I can't do it in 10? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I appreciate y'all trying to help!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've seen the issue you're describing - it's one reason I won't use WMP. I've also only seen that on things I've ripped that don't have cover metadata assigned already. But I've *never* seen random photo files in folders - at least on Windows 10 (I never tried WMP on Win 7). I got so frustrated with that issue that I completely blew away the music folder and the issue came back. I then deleted the current user's "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" folder contents. I know the WMP database is kept there and clearing that folder fixed my issue. I don't know that all the files needed to be deleted but I did anyway. In your case I don't know that I'd clear the folder but possibly look there for the files you're expecting to find. I'd used WMP to "quickly" (was anything but) convert some files from one format to another (don't recall just why now - I just know it was a frustrating experience as WMP kept changing the album artwork on the files). I normally use "Exact Audio Copy" for ripping and VLC for playback but I also don't do direct line-in capture.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'm following those steps to the letter and it still isn't showing me anything. Maybe I can't do it in 10? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I appreciate y'all trying to help!
Those instructions should have worked in Windows 10. Try this.

Open File Explorer.
Click on the View tab.
Click the Options icon in the tool bar.
Click on the View tab in the Folder Options dialogue box.
Select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
---------------

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I've seen the issue you're describing - it's one reason I won't use WMP. I've also only seen that on things I've ripped that don't have cover metadata assigned already. But I've *never* seen random photo files in folders - at least on Windows 10 (I never tried WMP on Win 7). I got so frustrated with that issue that I completely blew away the music folder and the issue came back. I then deleted the current user's "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player" folder contents. I know the WMP database is kept there and clearing that folder fixed my issue. I don't know that all the files needed to be deleted but I did anyway. In your case I don't know that I'd clear the folder but possibly look there for the files you're expecting to find. I'd used WMP to "quickly" (was anything but) convert some files from one format to another (don't recall just why now - I just know it was a frustrating experience as WMP kept changing the album artwork on the files). I normally use "Exact Audio Copy" for ripping and VLC for playback but I also don't do direct line-in capture.
I keep telling myself that I'm going to check out another program like VLC. As much as I hate WMP I am at least familiar with how it operates. I have over 50,000 songs on the computer and the familiarity factor goes a long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks