What's new

Win Jack Reacher: Never Go Back on Blu-ray Steelbook (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
reacher.JPG

Congrats to Tony, Johnny and Josh! Please reply to the PM I will send shortly with your address so I can get these shipped. Thanks to everyone for entering and reminding me of some great movies I need to revisit!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'd like to think the members of the Academy for this great honor. I consider this the high point of my film career and it's my first win. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I subscribed to this thread...because as I was reading post-after-post naming Tom Cruise films, I was amazed at how many good films were in there.

I guess that really shouldn't have surprised me. It's just that there was one entertaining film after another listed.

Quite a career (with a fair amount of diversity).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I subscribed to this thread...because as I was reading post-after-post naming Tom Cruise films, I was amazed at how many good films were in there.

I guess that really shouldn't have surprised me. It's just that there was one entertaining film after another listed.

Quite a career (with a fair amount of diversity).

He was kinda off the radar for a while, and I almost forgot how much I liked him until I saw Edge Of Tomorrow when that came out. Since then I've been revisiting his movies and there are so many good ones. It was hard to pick just one. Jerry Maguire is really up there for me. A Few Good Men too. He's incredible in Magnolia. He's had some bad Oscar luck, there are some great performances in his filmography that would have been entirely deserving of that kind of recognition.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
He was kinda off the radar for a while, and I almost forgot how much I liked him until I saw Edge Of Tomorrow when that came out. Since then I've been revisiting his movies and there are so many good ones. It was hard to pick just one. Jerry Maguire is really up there for me. A Few Good Men too. He's incredible in Magnolia. He's had some bad Oscar luck, there are some great performances in his filmography that would have been entirely deserving of that kind of recognition.
I have no data to support this assertion but I believe there are certain kinds of actors that the academy is not going reward, and Cruise is one of them. This is not a criticism of cruise on my part.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I almost hate to admit it...but I think I have to: I'm a Tom Cruise fan. <gasp!!>

Rain Man, War of the Worlds, All the Mission Impossible films (especially Ghost Protocol), Edge of Tomorrow and one of my favorites, actually, is Collateral. And there's so many more (which is what this thread made me realize)--such a breadth of work. Wow.

Screw Meryl Streep. Let's get Cruise a lifetime achievement award! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have no data to support this assertion but I believe there are certain kinds of actors that the academy is not going reward, and Cruise is one of them. This is not a criticism of cruise on my part.
Yeah, I think he's seen more as an action movie guy than a dramatic actor so even his 'serious' work usually gets ignored by the Academy. That being said, I would not be surprised to see him get an Oscar for a dramatic part in about 10 or 15 years. It'll essentially be recognition for his entire career but it'll be better than nothing.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
So many good ones, and Edge of Tomorrow was amazing, one of my favorites and one I need to watch again along with 15 or so other films listed here. I remember when watching Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol how I thought the scenes with Tom Cruise on the sides of the building were the best CGI I had ever seen, then I watched the special features and found out that they had actually dangled him 1,700 feet in the air on the side of the building. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So many good ones, and Edge of Tomorrow was amazing, one of my favorites and one I need to watch again along with 15 or so other films listed here. I remember when watching Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol how I thought the scenes with Tom Cruise on the sides of the building were the best CGI I had ever seen, then I watched the special features and found out that they had actually dangled him 1,700 feet in the air on the side of the building. :)

I really wish the Blu-ray had retained the IMAX formatting for that scene. Even though it's not nearly the same experience at home, the jump from a smaller letterboxed image to a taller image that fills the screen completely still conveys "bigness" to me in a way the standard letterboxed presentation doesn't. I remember seeing that in IMAX and it was one hell of a "holy shit" moment. Even the plane take-off from the fifth movie can't compare to that. (It doesn't hurt that the Ghost Protocol scene was shot on real 15/70 IMAX film while the next movie was all 35mm, so it didn't have the same sense of scale to me. But still a hell of a stunt.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While on the subject of Ghost Protocol, I think it's one of the best audio tracks, too, that's come down the pike in a long time. That sand storm in Dubai--just after the skyscraper scenes--is as immersive as it gets!

Maybe we should talk Josh into doing a Tom Cruise thread! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exorcist4713
Recent bookmarks