What's new

Will Apple ever make a "normal" Mac? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the JPEG thing (and other picture formats) can be a nightmare, but that's because Macs can handle complex picture formats and need to be retranslated (or "toned down") for PC's. That's definitely not a Mac fault.

Also, the mail server could be the culprit that is corrupting the file. And that's probably because most all mail servers are PC based and again, that's not a Mac fault either.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
They pay me well for my computer knowledge (Mac and PC) combined. :)

I only defend Macs because almost all Mac bashing comes from ignorance.

I'm sure the 'techys' here can relate. When someone downloads a virus and then blames the computer ;) "Stupid computer! It never works right!"

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's a setting in Mail to send attachements in a windows friendly manner but I haven't played with it yet to see if makes much difference.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Err...what? Windows PCs are quite capable of handling "complex picture formats" like JPEG without any retranslation or tone-downification.

Macs do (did?) send images in a weird way, compared to the Windows world. When my fiance emailed me images from her Mac, my PC, via Outlook or Thunderbird, received two copies of each image. One was empty, the other had the actual data. Her friends also had the same problems receiving pictures from her Mac email.

I've also found that Mac Mail forcibly splits lines of text, which invariably breaks links in email. I've not found a way to turn off that behavior. Outlook and Thunderbird don't seem to cause that same problem.

I really like the ease of networking. After a Google search, it was easy for her Mac to see my PC's shared folders and the networked printer. My PC took some work, requiring the printer's installation software, and a more complex process to see the Mac's shared folders. But this beats all compared to the days of Win95 with clunky MacLan software and OS9.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Anyone using Mail.app to send attachments to PC users should make sure the "Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments" preference is turned on. This will ensure that the resource fork is stripped from the attachments and should mean the recipient will not receive two separate files.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. Wish I'd known about that a couple years ago. Is there a way to also tell it to not insert hard line breaks?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Do the hard line breaks even show up in messages sent as plain text? The "Send as Windows Friendly Attachments" only showed up in 10.3. When we were on 10.2, we were able to remove the resource forks by using a contextual menu utility called GrimRipper.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Wait. A Mac user sends jpgs and the Windows machine magically coverts them to GIFs and corrupts them and thats a Mac problem?

I've worked in a Mac/Windows world for 17 years and have never seen that.

GloriaJeans

Auditioning
Real Name
Gloria Jean
Don't know whether it's a Mac problem, but it only happens when the sender uses a Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks