What's new

Will a line conditioner help rid me of a ground loop hum? (1 Viewer)

Todd N

Grip
Hello Forum,
I've had an annoying situation for a while now and I need your help!!! I have a ground loop hum (granted, no one else in my family hears it but me, but then again I put the system together and I'm the one who tweaks it, so I would hear it over everyone else anyway). I have reconnected every piece several times, use only high quality cables and wires, moved my HT components to different areas (in case there was a 'nucleus' behind the wall that I could not see) and still have this hum. The hum is not overbearing, but it annoys me. The only thing I can think of now (which I ashamedly admit I do NOT have) is to purchase a line conditioner. Because right now, I have my components plugged into a strip surge. Do you people think a ground conditioner would rid me of the problem? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!
Peace...
One
------------------
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Do you have any high current amps in your setup??
If you do, a cheater plug will most likely get rid off this hum..... Just attach it to power chord on the amp...
Also try unplugging your Cable Tv from the wall.... If it goes away, you know this is the cause of the hum..... Most of the time, these hums are caused by improperly grounded cable lines....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Todd, check out this company. Link Removed
[Edited last by Frank_S on August 08, 2001 at 01:33 PM]

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Todd: Start up a DVD and disconnect your CATV cable from your system (TV, VCR, CATV BOX). Does the Humm go away? This is usually the cause of a 60 hz humm, not a ground loop.
You usually only get ground-loops if:
- You have 2 or more amplifiers (The receiver and the amp in the sub are the most common)
Taking one of the amps and removing it's ground with the use of a "cheater plug" tends to solve this problem.
Try just un-plugging the sub and listen to hear if the humm goes away.
The solution to both of these is usually a lot cheaper than a $500-$800 line conditioner.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
If it is the cable, there are ways to handle it.
One is 10 bucks, the other is 100.
Take a 75Ohm to 300 Ohm converter (usually comes with the TV), attach it to the reverse version, and put it into the line. Often, this will kill the hum, but also might affect your picture quality ever so slightly. You can buy these parts at Radio Shack. If you want Gold, figure on spending $20...
The other is to get the Mondial M.A.G.I.C. box. I forget what the letters stand for, but essentially it lifts the ground on the cable without unduly affecting the signal.
Mike

Todd N

Grip
Thanks for the suggestions guys!!
Right now, I'm running (in terms of amps and such):
Sony STR-DE 935 DD/DTS Receiver
Marantz MM9000 5 Channel AMP
Yamaha YST 160 Sub
I've always noticed a bit of a hum when I turn on the Sub. I bought the 5 channel amp to power my rear speakers, because I added Smart's CS-EX processor and I could only connect it by speaker connects, because the 935 doesn't have line outs for RS LS. So I will try some of these suggestions and keep you posted. Thanks again
icon14.gif

Peace...
One
------------------
[Edited last by Todd N on August 09, 2001 at 09:39 AM]

Todd N

Grip
BTW - what is a "cheater Plug?"
Thanks!
------------------

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Todd -
For the answer to "what's a cheater plug", read this thread":
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042032.html
Also, in case you don't read it, a "cheater" plug is an adaptor which allows a three prong plug to be plugged into a two prong outlet. Of course it can also be plugged into a three prong outlet, but with only two pins being plugged in. It defeats the ground since the ground pin is the one that doesn't get connected. It will remove ground loop hum by lifting the ground, but can be very dangerous to use, since if there is a short, the electricity might leak to the external parts of the appliance, and with no ground, if you touch it, you become the ground, with potentially lethal results.
The "MAGIC" stands for Mondial Antenna Ground Isolation Circuit. http://www.klipsch.com/mondial/index2.asp?path=/products/mondial/index.asp?frame =y&id=&line=&1 (Scroll down and click on "MAGIC Box" or "MAGIC Spliter" for more information.) And it does work effectively and safely, with the serendipitous effect on my system of actually improving the cable TV picture to the point I abandoned plans to "go satellite".
Good luck -- and stay safe!
Burke
-----------------------------------
Houston-area HT "fanatics" -- check out plans for the next meet: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000260.html
[Edited last by Burke Strickland on August 09, 2001 at 10:25 AM]

Todd,
Did you ever fix your problem? The cheater plug didn't work for me, and also unplugging my TV and receiver didn't work. I tried plugging my subwoofer into different outlets (circuits) in my house, too. I actually brought my sub back to Hsu Research (Dr. Hsu thought my amp was bad), but I didn't get a hum at his shop.

Jim Cain

Auditioning
Hmm.
You know, I've had a similar problem, on and off, for quite a while. Nothing seems to help. I've filtered the power, added a line conditioner, tried cheater plugs and use high quality cables.
Matter of fact, when I plugged my main amplifier into a cheater plug, the hum went from annoying (to me) to LOUD; as in my fiancee asked 'what the hell is that' from across the room.
So, I'm in the market for more clever suggestions as well...
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks