What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Will 2005 finally see the African Queen released in R1? (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I know this title isn't on the list of the majority of HTF'ers but the only collaboration of Kate Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart has got to be worthy of a release before HD-DVD makes this a moot point. I know there is a Paramount investigation about restoration but no definitive word from them yet. I've seen others put this on their list but a top 20 AFI title deserves some mention at this late date. Could 2005 finally see this come to pass?

As long as I'm inquiring -- how is the King Kong restoration going? Will 2005 see this one hit the streets? How about Bringing Up Baby. I've seen this one anticipated for several years in R1 (I believe R2 has this already released). Now that Fox has released Zorba the Greek has anyone heard about the release of the political classic 'Z'?

Joel

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hard too believe this title & BUB, are still missing in action. And in all likelihood, will not be released in 2004.
Hope BUB, looks better than TBaTB. Which got very high marks for video quality, yet is one of my worst DVD's. Not knocking the transfer, mind you, just the source.
Expecting AQ, too look stunning!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Next week, the HTF is having their National Meet and we will be at Paramount one of those days. I'll make sure to asked for an update regarding The African Queen.

Crawdaddy

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Be sure to ask about "Love With the Proper Stranger" with Natalie Wood, Steve McQueen and music by Elmer Bernstein released on DVD.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty much a given at this point that the original King Kong will be released next year (probably in the very late August-to-early October time frame) to capitalize on some of the interest generated by the new Peter Jackson remake (due in December 2005).

As for The African Queen ... I don't know what's up with this title. There were reliable reports in early 2003 that it was being prepped for a November 2003 release. In fact, when Katherine Hepburn passed away in late June of that year, several prominent entertainment magazines mentioned that the DVD was slated for release later in the year. I wonder if, perhaps, she was working with the studio on some supplements for the disc at the time of her death, and that has led to the delay? In any event, I agree that we need this movie on DVD. Bogart earned his only Academy Best Actor Award based on his work in this film.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

Thanks, I hope there is going to be some positive development. It could be that the studio is holding back because of a perceived lack of interest.

Joel

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This is certainly very high on my wishlist. I have the laser disc to tide me over, but I certainly hope that the dvd comes out soon.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Paramount certainly has some odd policies. When Eddie Bracken died last year it was reported he had recorded an interview for The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek DVD and that still isn't out either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks