What's new

Widescreen or not? (1 Viewer)

GlenRF

Agent
I just got my 56 inch wide-screen High Def. T.v. today and I am not going back to the 4:3 aspect I am hooked on wide-screen. I am glad I made the choice to buy the tv or I would still be watching my old 27 inch RCA which is now being relocated to the bedroom.

Glen

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I guess I will get into the mix now since I'm sorta in the same boat.

I have been looking at the Sony KV36 and I came very close to buying it. I feel that CRT's still have better clarity than nearly all Rear Projectors.

With that said, I still am hesitant in getting this due to the lack of HD programming. Plus I have satellite and the only way to get it through Dish is buying the receiver. ($499) They don't rent it out like Comcast does.

Also, I'm pretty sure the standard will change next year to something else. This whole DVI thing confuses the hell outta me.

I'm probably gonna just hold onto my 32 Sony Trinitron for another couple of years. Eh? Maybe I'll just go to Tweeters and buy the 36? I'm pretty undecided at this point.

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if you saw my posts in this thread, you know I was jockeying between the KV-36XBR800 and the 46" 16:9 HD RPTV from Sony (which weren't even the sets I was initially looking at, I might add). So, what did I do? I decided to go with the 36XBR800. I just fell in love with it after seeing it at the store, and with some searching, I was able to get a pretty decent price with the stand. I really did like the picture from the 46" inch, but I followed the logic of buying this now, and investing in a widescreen in the future - after I move and when there is more programming in HDTV. I just picked it up last weekend - and "picked it up" is a figure of speech. Sony says that this set is 240lbs. It feels like it's 1,000lbs. We managed to get it up 4 flights of stairs but I will say that I will never, ever, ever, ever attempt to do that again - and hire someone for in-house delivery. Did I mention that IT'S FRICKEN HEAVY? :)

But looking at it now, it was all worth it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
With that said, I still am hesitant in getting this due to the lack of HD programming. Plus I have satellite and the only way to get it through Dish is buying the receiver. ($499) They don't rent it out like Comcast does.
Naturally everyone justs needs to buy what makes them happy...no right/wrong here as far as what you buy and if you like it.

But I *do* want to address the above statement.

HD programming IMO does not need to be the deciding factor for geting a 16x9 set. I've had a 16x9 34" direct-view since 1997 and I've NEVER watched a single HD program on it. But in that time I've watched plenty of widescreen laserdiscs and widescreen DVDs and that has more than justified the 16x9 decision.

In other words...it's not "HD" software that should what decides whether or not you go 16x9...it should be "widescreen" material. Now, I woudn't spend $10,000 on an "HD" set because technology is changing rapidly...but there are a host of excellent HD 16x9 sets that will do wonders for your DVD collection that are priced in the 1.5-3K range.

That fact that most 16x9 WS TVs also offer full HD resolution today is an added bonus. Those DVDs look awefully good at 480P or upscaled to 540P or 1080I!!!

dave :)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
What Dave said!

Frankly, when I walk into someones home and I see a 4:3 bigscreen TV, I can't help but immediately think to myself "come on, people, let's get with the times"! :)

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
Do Hitachi's put black or grey bars on the sides of their widescreen RPTV's for 4:3 viewing? This was an excellent thread for me since I'm looking for a new RPTV now. My RCA 55" 4:3 RPTV was struck by lightening. I was looking to get a replacement in 16:9 format. I use my TV for DirecTV (not HD), movies, and XBox. Since my wife watches most of the regular TV, she liked the stretch feature of the Hitachi 65S500, but the picture looked a little distorted to me, and they were feeding it with a HD feed so I didn't see if it had any black/grey bars on the sides during normal 4:3 viewing.

AAGGGHHH! I don't want grey bars, but I don't want a crappy picture, and 4:3's in RPTV are becoming scarce.

Anyone have opinions on the Hitachis?

Brian

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I am actually going through the same dilema. I was looking to buy a new TV for my bedroom. I currently have a 27" Sony Wega there. I live in a small 760 sqaure foot apartment.

I was looking at the Sony KV-32HS510 32" 4:3 TV and the Sony KV-30HS510 30" 16x9 TV.

According to www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi, the Sony 32" 4:3 will give almost the same size Widescreen/Letterbox picture size as the 30" Sony 16x9.

In my mind you won't be loosing any actual viewing picture.
So on the 32" Sony... 4:3 programs will look great (because it is 4:3) and Widescreen DVD's/TV will be roughly the exact same as having the 30" 16x9, just with black bars.

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
Steven, precisely why I went with the 32HS510 myself.

However, that said, if you're going to be watching DVDs 90% of the time, it might make more sense to go with tht 16:9. Even though the widescreen image is physically the same size, it "feels" bigger on a true 16:9 set.

I play a lot of PS2 and watch a lot of regular cable, so I decided the 4:3 was more important to me.

-Joe

Wil Lee

Grip
JoeFish, I'm curious to know how much you got the 32HS510 and where. I am also considering the Samsung 30 widescreen but now this thread has got me thinking about the Sony. the price difference might be the deciding factor. Thanks.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
JoeFish,

Here is my breakdown:

TV = 45%
DVD = 30%
PS2/Xbox/Gamecube = 20%
HDTV = 5%

I think I am in the same boat as you. Although I have a HUGE collection of DVD's (Going on 500+) and watch atleast 3 movies a week. I also have a good amount of games and usually put in 4 or 5 hours a week. It really is going to be a mixture. If I go with the 4:3... I can save about $500, so I am not sure if it is worth it to go with the 16x9 or not?

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
For your mix, I'd vote 4:3, personally. I paid $1234 at Sears. They had a deal at the time for $80 off a DVD player if you purchase them together. I needed one, so I did and saved $80 more.

-Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks