What's new

Why the hell didn't the Xbox include a digital output!? (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It would have made things sooo much easier. I would like to hook up the Xbox to my CRT projector but I would also like to get 5.1 sound. My CRT PJ doesn't have a Component input but it will accept BNC or S-video through the line doubler. So I can get 480P on the CRT but no 5.1!

Is someone coming out with some sort of multi-output device for the Xbox? I hope so....

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Does the advanced AV pack have a digital out as well? Even if it does it still means I have to own both, 1 for my HDTV and one for my PJ. It would have made life a lot easier to just put the digital output on the damn box!
Sorry but I need to rant about this...
I feel better already... :)

DavidAM

Second Unit
I've been curious about this. When people start spouting component, composite, svideo, toslink blah blah blah I forget what does what. From what I can remember, component and svideo will pass a good HDTV signal right? If so, then what do you need to get 5.1 in addition to HDTV? I can't buy the HDTV pack and get 1080i games and 5.1? I'd have to buy both packs? Can you use both packs at the same time if needed? Is there no all in one solution?

Gary King

Second Unit
The High Definition pack includes component video, analog audio, and digital audio outputs. You must use this pack if you want component video, in any format (480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i).

The Advanced A/V pack includes composite and s-video, analog audio, and digital audio outputs. You will (obviously) only be able to play games in 480i if you use this pack.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Don't get me wrong, I love the Xbox but come on... what a rip off! They should have just put the digital output on the unit itself.
Helps the sales of accessories though doesn't it... :angry:

Jason Handy

Second Unit
{insert console company name here} naturally assumes that J6P is still playing through a TV with composite inputs. Those of us blessed enough to have HD capablitities are in the minority and these console makers are already taking about $100 loss per console sold (I think...I am not sure what the exact number is). It makes sense to try and make the bare minimum to please the most people. My $0.02

Jason

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I know they make their money from the sales of software but with all the accessories (Advanced AV pack, HD pack, controllers.. etc...) that you have to buy I'm sure that more than makes up for any loss they take on the Xbox unit.
Besides, the cost of putting a digital output on a unit like the Xbox would have been next to nothing. They knew what they were doing when they released more than one AV pack. $$$$$$$$$$ ka...CHING!!!
They also could have EASILY put an S-video output on the HD pack (Next to the Component and toslink output) and just sold ONE AV cable. instead of 2...
But like I said.... that would make them less money.
Besides all this I'm still loving HALO in 480P on my HDTV upstairs... It's just that my 5.1 setup is downstairs with my CRT Projector. I guess I'll be buying the Advanced AV cable as well... :frowning:

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Not trying to be argumentative here, Micheal, but I'm not sure the decision to sell two different A/V packs was made to make more money, but rather to lose less. I know you are going to have to buy both packs, and I feel for you (really!), but I can't see too many people in your same predicament; most people are going to buy one or the other. The key is, MS is including either an S-video cable or component cables in their A/V packs, and if it bundled them together, it would have to include both in every single pack. Surely that would end up costing them more than having two separate packs that people could pick and choose from?

You see what I'm saying? Right now you can drop $15 and get an A/V pack with an S-video cable, or $20 and get a pack with component cables. That's pretty darn cheap, and the cables aren't that bad, either. For MS to have them both in the same pack, we'd all probably end up paying $25 or $30 I would guess, and end up paying for a cable we weren't using.

I don't know, that's just my thoughts on it. But I do feel for you, my friend.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
No problem Dave, I'm just venting. :)
I just figured for the cost they put into putting a Toslink digital output on both the Advanced AV & HD pack they surely could have just put it on the Xbox and be done with it.
Makes sense to me....
I'll stop bitching now..... ;)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else remember when EVERYTHING used to be included. My NES came with RCA cables, RF cables, and even an adapter for that two-prong thing with the screws (plus a game and light gun to boot). The SNES-both RF and Composite (plus a game too). Seems like the console wars have stripped EVERYTHING to the bare minimums. I can see not including a game, but it's getting to the point where the power cable will be a required accessory sold separately.

DavidAM

Second Unit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why wouldn't you just buy the HD Pack and use the component outputs for video? Component is supposed to be better than S-video right and there's no reason you can't use component outputs for 480i if your receiver has the inputs for them. This is my case....I have a 10year old 25" TV so I have my xbox connected through the stereo and video inputs on my VCR. Can I just buy the HD Pack and hook my xbox up to my Video3 component inputs on my HK AVR-520? This way I won't have to buy a new Pack when I upgrade to HDTV next year. Is this possible or am I thinking wrong? I was always under the impression S-video and component passed the same signal, component was just better than S-video so I'm wondering what the problem is. I'm assuming I have component inputs on my receiver....maybe I should check that....I might answer my own question? :frowning:

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I just figured for the cost they put into putting a Toslink digital output on both the Advanced AV & HD pack they surely could have just put it on the Xbox and be done with it.
On that, I couldn't agree more! I guess no one would ever accuse Microsoft of NOT trying to make a buck where they can, eh? :)
Oh, and DavidAM--I'm not an expert by any means, but I would be surprised if a receiver would be able to convert a component-in signal to a composite-out. If your receiver does have component inputs, you would be able to hook the Xbox up to it, but getting the signal from your receiver to your TV may be tough if your TV can't accept component signals. I'm not sure all receivers are able to take a component signal in and convert it to a composite signal to send out to your TV. I may be way off, though, so it's definitely something you would want to check on.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
DavidAM, I believe that David is right. I don't think your Receiver will convert Component to S-video but I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that my receiver doesn't have Component inputs, just multiple S-video & Composite.

P.S. Your receiver HAS Component inputs.

Mike

Dan B

Screenwriter
I don't see a problem with Microsoft's solution. You get an optical output if you use any connection pack other than the included composite, and most people with DD 5.1 will be using S Video or component. You have to buy the advanced or HD pack for the video connections anyway. Right?
I'm sure most of us would prefer the full assortment of connections built into the back of the console, but that would add onto the cost.
-Dan B.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
You get an optical output if you use any connection pack other than the included composite
I just think it wasn't thought through. (Or it was and they realized they could make a profit off some peoples setups.)
There is no answer that will make me understand why an optical output wasn't just put on the machine itself. It's not any more expensive than putting it on 2 individual AV packs!
I'm not the only one on this Forum that has to go out and buy both packs for my setup... or am I?
;)

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
At least the Xbox is capable of real time 5.1!! A $20 fee for the extra part is not that much, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks