What's new

Why is DONNIE DARKO so popular? (includes DIRECTOR's CUT disc.) (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
My point was, or was trying to be ;), "how can you tell".

How does this group differentiate from cinephiles who just happen to appreciate these films? Liking the film itself can't be enough. Are you implying that you know of a group of people who clearly don't normally appreciate good cinema but noticebly grabbed on to these particular films?

I understand the idea of people having more interest in going against the grain, especially in the angst years between 16-24, but how do you identify them against a backdrop of true cinephiles who happen to love these films? (and the extended set of films that I understand you imply exist beyond your examples given).

It sounds a tad bit like "I see these cool guys with their (whatever outfits) hanging out (whatever place) talking about how they love these films like it makes them so cool to know something that no one else does", which might be more a judgement of how they look and act and who they hang out with than their actual film tastes.

It seems likely to me that cinephiles in the 16-24 range tend to already be in outsider groups by the very nature of the hobby. The average person, young or old, just doesn't get into film to that extreme and to do so at an age when image is so critical can make a person an outsider, which they may or may not play up in defiance of the judgement levied on them.

And there is a natural kinship with other people who happen to have seen a lesser known film that they also enjoyed. That can seem cliqueish but I don't think it lessens their real enjoyment of the film.

What you are saying is that if these films were more popular they would be less popular because the people supporting them only do so because they are less popular in the first place??? Sounds contradictory to me.

And how my post relates to Donnie Darko I'm not really sure. :b

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I personally thought it was very interesting to watch. Sure a bunch of pseudo-outsider types of teenagers have latched onto it, but it's still a good film.

It's interesting, well made, and jake gyllenhaal does a great job in it.

william-scooter

Stunt Coordinator
How bout this... I was always confused by the enthusiasm because I apparently had a brain hemorrage and kept reading and hearing "Donnie Brasco" instead of "Darko" when people listed the movie as a fav or talked about it... I have seen Brasco and didn't like it.. I read this thread to find out the same thing and Badabing.. What an arse.. Darko sounds like something I want to see... think I will go and buy it...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I actually borrowed it today (my best friend is in love with the movie, and has recommended it before, so I thought I'd take her advice). It's in the DVD player as we speak, so I'm gonna turn off the lights and watch it now. Will be back in a couple hours with my impressions :D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
ok, I'm back.

That was trippy as hell. I feel the way I did after watching Vanilla Sky. Which means I liked it :D

Great movie, I can't believe I waited so long to watch it. Will be revisiting it tomorrow :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I just finished watching Donnie Darko and it is now one of my all time classic movies. Great movie. Yes, it is a little confusing but if you really stick with it and keep an open mind it all makes sense.

I loved it and I am 51 years old.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Highly recommend you give it a shot, you either will/won’t be one that loves it, yet enough do you should screen it.
As to why it has staying power with some people. Black humor, quirkiness, broad twisted strokes of Americana with biting characterizations of the types of personalities middle class parents are/and do deal with during the car-pool years for the older demographics. An anarchical bent, - for the younger film viewers.
Intriging camera angles at time, excelent use of soundtrack to film. Humor and pathos.
If you’ve ever had an ‘outside-looking in’ moment or a ‘I don’t get what the rest of the group gets so-riled -up about’ moment, or a ‘What is the point and why are we all here’ moment or a “Do I - as an individual - have an effect’ moment. >…You’ll prob. find some moment you can emotionally relate to.

I find many ‘moment’s’ in this film I adore, not the least of which are the mind-bending rules of Ms Sparrow’s book.

Disparate personalities and ages I have recommended this movie to on an approx. 8 out 10 ratio have really enjoyed it. Even those who originally were little less vocal about what they thought of it, I’ve subsequently found out returned to DD for repeated viewing. Must be making them think about something.

Edit: Whoops, just saw Jim posted dead above me, welcome to the world of the “living’ who “manipulate” for the film.

Did you read Sparrows Book of rules in the DVD extras section?

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Highly recommend you give it a shot, you either will/won’t be one that loves it, yet enough do you should screen it.
As to why it has staying power with some people. Black humor, quirkiness, broad twisted strokes of Americana with biting characterizations of the types of personalities middle class parents are/and do deal with during the car-pool years for the older demographics. An anarchical bent, - for the younger film viewers.
Intriging camera angles at time, excelent use of soundtrack to film. Humor and pathos.
If you’ve ever had an ‘outside-looking in’ moment or a ‘I don’t get what the rest of the group gets so-riled -up about’ moment, or a ‘What is the point and why are we all here’ moment or a “Do I - as an individual - have an effect’ moment. >…You’ll prob. find some moment you can emotionally relate to.

I find many ‘moment’s’ in this film I adore, not the least of which are the mind-bending rules of Ms Sparrow’s book.

Disparate personalities and ages I have recommended this movie to on an approx. 8 out 10 ratio have really enjoyed it. Even those who originally were little less vocal about what they thought of it, I’ve subsequently found out returned to DD for repeated viewing. Must be making them think about something.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I liked the movie until the ending, but the ending just ruined the movie for me. I was expecting something much better for a ending and the ending just made the movie pointless.

Be seeing you,
David Blackwell

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that the movie is so popular and revered is because it WASN'T very popular when it was first released. It is a classic word-of-mouth movie, with solid acting and technical merits, and a story that is incredibly interesting and makes you think long after the movie is done. I tend to like movies like this that are off the beaten path, and reallly challenge your thinking. Movies (of recent memory) I would group in category are(:

Donnie Darko
Waking Life
Bottle Rocket
Buffalo '66
The Opposite of Sex
Insomnia(Original)
Pi
Being John Malkovich
Sex and Lucia
L.I.E.
Swimming Pool

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Dave, I LOVED the ending (well, my interpretation of it :D)

Seeing Donnie smile right as the engine is about to kill him is what did it for me. I mean, he's accomplished his mission, he doesn't HAVE to die. He could have left the room quickly and saved himself. But I think he felt so happy to have conquered his fear of loneliness (the source of his mental illness), and to have found (in Gretchen) a way to take out all the ugly memories and replacing them with beautiful ones, that he decided to make his exit then and there. He'd built himself a perfect life in the four weeks he spent saving the universe, and he didn't want more than that. Not the choice I would have made had I been in his shoes, but a very beautiful scene to witness.

JohnAP

Second Unit
It a great film that's become a word-of-mouth dvd hit. I think one of the reasons it's sold so well, besides being a great movie though, is because it is a movie that encourages and rewards multiple viewings so people are inclined to buy rather than just rent. It's probably gotten more play on the dvd player in my apartement than almost any other recent flick for this reason.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
A director's cut with additional 21 minutes of footage is to be released this summer. From Variety:

The rest of the story is available at the website.

~Edwin

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, it can't really be considered a flop, because it was released so limited in the first place... it didn't really have a chance to make that much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks