What's new

Why I don't like seeing films theatrically anymore (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only thing that ruins my theater going experience is that I don't have a decent one to go to.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Embarrassing story- I went to see the LEGO Batman film, but I didn’t realize I bought a ticket to a 3D showing. I didn’t bother to get glasses, so I watched most of the film in an altered state.
I heard the film perfectly though, and from what I heard of the film, in my opinion I didn’t miss too much :P

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Theatrical 3D gives me headaches; Home 3D never does. Not sure why.

Could be several factors. Your brain might not be enjoying the polarized filters on the theater lenses. If you use active glasses at home, it’s a different technology which you may react differently to. Theaters also often tend to show 3D films with less light than the specs demand, which can lead to eye strain and then headache.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Could be several factors. Your brain might not be enjoying the polarized filters on the theater lenses. If you use active glasses at home, it’s a different technology which you may react differently to. Theaters also often tend to show 3D films with less light than the specs demand, which can lead to eye strain and then headache.
Yeah, it's probably something to do with the different methods of delivery. In the theater I most always am seeing RealD 3D with passive glasses. At home I have DLP 3D with active glasses.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, it's probably something to do with the different methods of delivery. In the theater I most always am seeing RealD 3D with passive glasses. At home I have DLP 3D with active glasses.

My wife also finds the active 3D at home to be much easier on her eyes than RealD in theaters, so you’re definitely not alone there.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Actually, know when time slows down to a crawl? The day you set your retirement date. Between then and the actual date, every day is much slower and more cumbersome than you are used to. This is true.
The above quote was posted on May 5, 2019; but I am just catching up to this thread on this day of June 17, 2019.
Based on my calculations, today is the first Monday of our good Mr. Epstein's retirement.

The time is now 1:07 PM. I wonder which film became his first matinee? Guess we'll find out later.

Congratulations, Ronald.:cheers:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The above quote was posted on May 5, 2019; but I am just catching up to this thread on this day of June 17, 2019.
Based on my calculations, today is the first Monday of our good Mr. Epstein's retirement.

The time is now 1:07 PM. I wonder which film became his first matinee? Guess we'll find out later.

Congratulations, Ronald.:cheers:
Yes, he has joined the retiree crew.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for your good wishes, Philip.

Have not yet considered a movie ticket subscription. I have to first work on getting my body to adjust from midnight to day schedule. I will keep you guys updated.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thank you for your good wishes, Philip.

Have not yet considered a movie ticket subscription. I have to first work on getting my body to adjust from midnight to day schedule. I will keep you guys updated.
Happy retirement Ron! I’ll catch up to you in 22 years and 7 months.

Reactions: PMF

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

the 40th anniversary re-release of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' . It is my favorite film from Steven Spielberg, and depending on the day my favorite film of all time. There was only one other movie goer in the screening. The audio quality was mind blowing, and video was perfect.

It was always a dream of mine to see this on the big screen as I had seen it only on tv. This rare opportunity arrived, and I walked out of the theater more impressed with the film than I had ever been. It was like seeing it for the first time. This wasn't a simple re-release for me. It was a magical experience.

The film bored me to death even when i saw it on a giant 70mm screen. Pure tedium.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Put me in the group that has loved this film since I saw it in a huge state of the art theatre on opening night.
There was a record store in the same complex and that night I bought the soundtrack (which came with a “disco single” of the theme!).
I revisited the theatre for the special edition, and have owned and viewed it on VHS, DVD, and Blu. Not a year goes by for me without a re-watch.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn’t not understand how anyone could think Close could be boring.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn’t not understand how anyone could think Close could be boring.
I haven't watched it in years, but as I recall I didn't find it very engaging. That's probably why I hesitate to watch it again.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I can't speak for Tony, but my interpretation when I read that was that he worded it that way to clearly communicate just how strongly his opinion differs about this movie.

I don't believe he's suggesting that people aren't allowed to voice an opinion that differs from his, or that any disrespect was intended. I believe he was just emphasizing his opinion since it's in such complete disagreement with someone else's.

Someone else made a cute post in another thread for an upcoming Ginger Rogers Blu-Ray a few days ago after a few folks had replied about not being that crazy about her later movies. It amounted to anyone that doesn't love Ginger Rogers should be strung up and left to die. Was obviously written in jest and was just meant as a cute way of saying "I disagree".

I thought about replying with something like I'd happily supply the rope (i.e., I also love Ginger Rogers and really enjoy her movies from the 1940's after she moved past musicals). Now I'm glad I didn't... ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks