What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary UCE (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Not all older European sets can handle NTSC. Every new one can, so most people (except if you have an older television, of course) would be all right if the extra material is in NTSC.
Would you want to release an NTSC disc in a PAL territory, knowing that a proportion of your customers wouldn't be able to play it? Or, worse, that there'd be complaints from angry customers? Most large displays made in the last ten years can probably handle NTSC, but a lot of smaller sets can't, and a lot of people have sets that are much older than that! It's certainly not something you could count on!

There are a few NTSC titles on sale in the UK, and they're usually prominently marked as such, to avoid problems.

Of course, technically it's best if Blu-ray SD bonus features are encoded in their native format, wherever possible. That probably means NTSC in most cases (certainly most material on discs released by the Hollywood studios will have been mastered in NTSC).

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Not all older European sets can handle NTSC. Every new one can, so most people (except if you have an older television, of course) would be all right if the extra material is in NTSC.
Would you want to release an NTSC disc in a PAL territory, knowing that a proportion of your customers wouldn't be able to play it? Or, worse, that there'd be complaints from angry customers? Most large displays made in the last ten years can probably handle NTSC, but a lot of smaller sets can't, and a lot of people have sets that are much older than that! It's certainly not something you could count on!

There are a few NTSC titles on sale in the UK, and they're usually prominently marked as such, to avoid problems.

Of course, technically it's best if Blu-ray SD bonus features are encoded in their native format, wherever possible. That probably means NTSC in most cases (certainly most material on discs released by the Hollywood studios will have been mastered in NTSC).

JulianK

Supporting Actor

JulianK

Supporting Actor

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I could see four identical posts within a few minutes of each other...but than a 5th nearly a half-hour later?!?

Must be one of those conversion things.

Seriously, though, thanks fellas for the info.

So, even though the bonus features might be on a BD, if they are not in HD but in a lower resolution, they still fall victim to the PAL/NTSC situation, eh? Seems odd. I would have thought the encoding required to ge the features onto the BD would have dealt with all that.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone in North America buy the South Pacific blu-ray disc from Europe? I know its not a Warner title but it is from a major studio. The roadshow version of this film was in SD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Garysb

Did anyone in North America buy the South Pacific blu-ray disc from Europe? I know its not a Warner title but it is from a major studio. The roadshow version of this film was in SD.
Don't know what that has to do with The Wizard of Oz, but there was a whole thread about South Pacific on BD when it came out. The roadshow version was SD in the US, but I didn't buy the European disc and I imagine it is also SD there as well. No one brought it up.

My guess is that many of the extras on Oz will be SD, as there are so many, and many of them (like the 1990 special hosted by Angela Lansbury) were finished on tape, and I imagine "The Dreamer of Oz" was as well. The silent Oz films will probably be in SD, too.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by JulianK

Well, it just concerns the bonus material, which a lot of people (of the general public) don't want to watch, according to some people. But maybe you're right, best not to take the risk.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Must be one of those conversion things.
Ah, apologies for that - I kept getting an error message from the board software saying that there was an error, and my post wouldn't go through.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
If Warners completely got rid of Digital Copy, introduced the original theatrical mix and also offered a cheaper alternative, I'd buy this. Even though the original book is not a musical and this film needs a proper adaptation.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I would have liked to add this title to my modest blu-ray collection, but unless they come out with a standard blu-ray case edition later on, I will just pass on this. I still have my SD version that I can watch. I'm not interested in an "Ultimate Collector's Edition", but for those who are, I'm happy for you, just sad that I won't have an opportunity for just a simple blu-ray edition release.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I'm hearing that the Bd set will have the full 6 hour edition of When The Lion Roars as a bonus (which won't be in the standard def sets). If this is correct, I'll admit it does make me feel better about the purchase. I remember that being a spectacular production and I never picked up the earlier release of it. To me, that more than anything else in the box other than the main feature, will be worth a slight premium.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Warners is certainly is going all out for this release

Warner Bros. Entertainment to Stage Spectacular Events in New York City to Culminate Worldwide 70th Anniversary Celebration of The Wizard of Oz

CHARITY EXTRAVAGANZA SEPTEMBER 24 AT TAVERN ON THE GREEN INTRODUCES WARNER HOME VIDEO'S NEW BENCHMARK BLU-RAY ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION AND AUCTION OF WARNER BROS. CONSUMER PRODUCTS' RENOWNED RUBY SLIPPER COLLECTION

Grammy Award Winner Ashanti and Judy Garland's Daughter Lorna Luft to Perform at the Emerald Gala; Original Munchkins to Make a Rare Appearance
BURBANK, Calif., Aug. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- From Beverly Hills to Berlin; from Miami to Melbourne; from big screens to home screens, Warner Bros. Entertainment has for the past year been celebrating the 70th anniversary of an iconic American classic, The Wizard of Oz, with a slate of spectacular festivities spanning the globe. This September, the celebration culminates in New York City with a series of sparkling events.

The festivities will commence on Thursday, September 24, with the Emerald Gala, a glorious event at Manhattan's historic Tavern on the Green, hosted by its owner and CEO Jennifer Oz LeRoy, granddaughter of The Wizard of Oz producer Mervyn LeRoy. The entire restaurant and surrounding grounds will transform for a night into the Emerald City, replete with a winding Yellow Brick Road. The Emerald Gala will feature a musical performance by Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter and actress Ashanti, who recently made her theatrical debut as Dorothy in the City Center Encores! production of The Wiz. In addition, Lorna Luft, the daughter of Judy Garland will honor her mother's legacy with a special musical tribute.

Also contributing to the grand affair will be a rare appearance by five of the original actors who played the "Munchkins" characters in 1939's The Wizard of Oz, along with members of the cast of The Wizard of Oz National Tour performing acts from the traveling show.

The Emerald Gala will herald Warner Home Video's September 29 release of The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Editions. Marking an historic benchmark in the format, Warner Home Video continues to maximize what Blu-ray can do for picture and sound. With six times higher resolution than standard DVD along with unparalleled sonic excellence, the film will be at its absolute pristine best, packed with treasured collectibles and brand-new bonus content. A special sneak-peek of the spectacular new gift sets will also be on display at the Tavern on the Green event.

Additionally, presented at the Emerald Gala will be one final exhibition of Warner Bros. Consumer Products' now renowned Ruby Slipper Collection, which consists of 20 noted designers' modern interpretations of Dorothy's classic Ruby Slippers adorned with CRYSTALLIZED(TM) - Swarovski Elements. Since its debut one year ago in New York City to kick off Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, The Collection has toured more than 20 prestigious destinations around the world, including Los Angeles, Miami, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Dubai, Melbourne, and many more. The Ruby Slipper Collection, original design sketches, as well as select pieces from The Inspirations of Oz Fine Art Collection will be auctioned to benefit long-term philanthropic partner, the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. The auction will be conducted online beginning September 10 at rubyslipperauction.com. Fans all over the world will have the opportunity to bid on this renowned collection, with final bids closing and tabulated the evening

"This anniversary year has been a wonderful celebration befitting an American classic like The Wizard of Oz," said Brad Globe, President, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. "Warner Bros. Consumer Products is thrilled to have toured The Ruby Slipper Collection around the country, culminating with what will be a truly memorable charity auction event."

"Warner Home Video is proud to be part of the year-long celebration of this cinematic treasure. When I viewed this Blu-ray version, it was like seeing and hearing the film for the very first time. You're brought into Dorothy's adventure so profoundly that all the endearing Oz characters and unforgettable songs resound as never before," said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Home Video.

"The Wizard of Oz is known worldwide as a beloved, classic and timeless film. To me, it is that and so much more. My grandfather declared I would be forever tied to it by giving me Oz as my middle name and the movie has been integrated into family celebrations all my life. For Tavern on the Green to play a role in its 70th anniversary is an exciting honor. And the partnership between Warner Bros. and Tavern for this salute seems almost fated - my great grandfather, Harry Warner, was one of the original Warner Bros.," added Jennifer Oz LeRoy, CEO of Tavern on the Green.

"As we celebrate our own milestone -- 20 years of leading the fight against pediatric HIV/AIDS -- we are honored that Warner Bros. has included us as the philanthropic partner of its year-long anniversary celebration. The proceeds from the online Ruby Slipper Auction will help us continue to build a future of hope for children and families across the world, and to create a generation free of HIV," said Pamela Barnes, President and CEO of the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

The week in New York City will also include appearances in various Big Apple locations by the grand Wizard of Oz Hot Air Balloon, a seven-and-a-half story stunningly decorated balloon that will be concluding the final leg of its nationwide tour.

On Saturday, September 26, Warner Bros. Entertainment will continue celebrating The Wizard Oz with a star-studded, exclusive screening at Alice Tully Hall as part of this year's New York Film Festival, which is produced by the Film Society of Lincoln Center.

Visit www.thewizardofoz.com, the official site for all Oz-related events and products.

Warner Home Video
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Warner Bros. Consumer Products

Warner Bros. Consumer Products, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is one of the leading licensing and retail merchandising organizations in the world.

The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz is one of the most beloved and iconic motion pictures of all time filled with timeless sentiments and values cherished by multiple generations. Originally released in 1939, more than one billion consumers have experienced the classic story of Dorothy and friends in the Land of Oz.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation

The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a worldwide leader in the fight against pediatric AIDS. Its innovative research programs, collaborative training initiatives, advocacy efforts, and rapidly expanding international prevention and treatment programs are bringing dramatic changes to the lives of children worldwide. To learn more about the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation and its programs, visit www.pedaids.org.

Tavern on the Green

Opened in 1934, Tavern on the Green has been operated by the LeRoy family since 1974 when Warner LeRoy (current owner Jennifer LeRoy's father) took on the lease for the landmark property, then in serious disrepair and essentially abandoned. After a two-year, $10 million renovation, Tavern on the Green re-emerged as a dazzling dining destination that was immediately embraced by New York City. Under the LeRoy leadership it has become an international icon as one the world's most famous and successful restaurants hosting nearly 700,000 people annually.

The Wizard of Oz National Tour

The greatest family musical of all time, The Wizard of Oz, is touching down in theaters across the country as NETworks Presentations brings this live touring production to over 70 cities, opening October 2009 in Worcester, MA and twisting its way across North America to cities such as Knoxville, TN., Austin, TX., Pittsburgh, PA, and Anchorage, AK! To see if the show The New York Times calls a "lavish stage production" with "colorful costumes, witty choreography, and cool lighting," is coming to a city near you visit www.WizardofOzonTour.com.

THE WIZARD OF OZ and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and (C) Turner Entertainment Co.

From the Judy room the Wizard of Oz will be shown on 440 theaters in Hi Def one night only September 23 at 7:PM local time

http://www.thejudyroom.com/news-oz.html#companionbook

Edited by Garysb - 8/16/2009 at 01:34 am GMT

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Garysb

Warners is certainly is going all out for this release
That's going all out, a celebration at a restaurant pulling out Ashanti, Lorna Luft and some munchkins?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by rich_d

That's going all out, a celebration at a restaurant pulling out Ashanti, Lorna Luft and some munchkins?
How about the fact that they are showing the film theatrically in 440 theaters using the new hi def master on September 23?

The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Hi-Def Event 09/23/2009

NCM Fathom, Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies present The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Hi-Def Event featuring the first ever High Definition presentation in movie theatres nationwide of The Wizard of Oz. This One Night Event will take place in over 440 movie theatres nationwide on Wednesday, September 23rd at 7:00 p.m. (local time). In addition to the feature presentation of The Wizard of Oz, this exclusive event will include a special introduction by Robert Osborne, a classic film historian and host of Turner Classic Movies, followed by “We’re Off to See the Wizard,” a look into how L. Frank Baum’s classic novel was transformed into one of the most beloved films of all time including archival interviews, behind-the-scenes footage and rare musical outtakes. Also featured will be an exclusive clip of the Scarecrow, Ray Bolger, dancing in High-definition for the very first time.

Tickets on-sale NOW! Limited seats available. Enter your zip code above for a list of theatres in your area.

The colorful characters and unforgettable songs of The Wizard of Oz come alive as never before as the cinematic treasure is brought into the digital age with this entirely remastered Hi-Def presentation. Celebrating its 70th Anniversary, The Wizard of Oz originally opened at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in 1939. It received five Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, and captured two Oscars® -- Best Song (“Over the Rainbow”) and Best Original Score -- plus a special award for Outstanding Juvenile Performance by Judy Garland. Its magical story and heartfelt performances have enabled it to grow from a perennial classic to its current status as a treasured icon of popular culture. Whether seeing it for the first time or the 100th time, it is only fitting that audiences nationwide will have the chance to enjoy the 70th Anniversary of this multi-generational favorite in movie theatres for an exclusive One Night celebratory event.

Edited by Garysb - 8/16/2009 at 03:46 pm GMT

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I have a question about the Sept. 23rd theatrical event. I hope I don't sound like an idiot, but as I understand it, this will be utilizing the hi-def transfer (1k) used for the Blu-ray. How would this transfer compare with a normal theatrical screening, whether digital (DLP) or film print?

I've heard some negative comments about previous screenings presented by this company, and, having seen an older film print of OZ projected on the big screen just last month, I want to make sure it's going to look at least as good as that before I pay $10.00 to see it again.

- Mark

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Ack, I was afraid I'd get my terminology wrong.

I'm not questioning anything on Warners end; I have no doubt they made an at least 4k transfer of the film. What I meant to say is that this theatrical presentation might merely be a projection of the Blu-ray master (1080p). I hope that makes more sense.

1080p is certainly "Hi-Def" when it comes to home video, but it isn't anywhere near as impressive in a large movie theater. That's why I'm hoping to get more information before plunking down my money.

- Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks