What's new

WHV Press Release: Friday The 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Last year at the HTF meet, I asked a Paramount VP about the possibility of the other Friday the 13th movies coming to BD, especially with the Paramount/Warner distribution deal. He asked if I though people would buy the set if it was released. Of course, I replied yes and that it was always felt very weird to me the series was basically abandoned after the first three movies.

Good to know this is coming...chances are it'll be on my shelf before the end of the year.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I might be accused of having low standards but I'm pretty sure this is the greatest thing to happen in human history.

Since they're not touting it as being new in some way and the first three are still on separate discs, I'd guess it's just the existing disc.
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you. I would think a real 3-D transfer of Part 3 would be clearly highlighted. Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible to have a 2D transfer and a true stereoscopic 3-D transfer on the same disc? Are they technically different formats (the fact that regular Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D have different logos would lend credence to that as well as the fact that not all BD players can play 3D straight out of the box)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible to have a 2D transfer and a true stereoscopic 3-D transfer on the same disc?
As far as I know, the only thing that would stop that is space. I doesn't happen much but I'm pretty sure that the last Saw movie has the 2-D and 3-D versions on one disc. So if Saw can fit and include a 6.1 or 7.1 soundtrack, I imagine that F13 Part III could fit both versions too.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
WillG said:
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you. I would think a real 3-D transfer of Part 3 would be clearly highlighted. Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible to have a 2D transfer and a true stereoscopic 3-D transfer on the same disc? Are they technically different formats (the fact that regular Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D have different logos would lend credence to that as well as the fact that not all BD players can play 3D straight out of the box)
Yes, they use the left eye view when they do that, it isn't two separate encodes.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The first three had terrific transfers considering the rather shoddy conditions they were made in (the original in particular) so I hope IV-VII are of the same quality.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The MVC codec allows for 2D and 3D versions to reside on the same disc; in fact, that is the codec's actual default configuration, since part of its compression is based on the difference between left-eye and right-eye views. It's the studios that have needlessly complicated this by including separate 2D discs, in some cases to add special features, and in others to simply pad out the package with perceived "extra value". Both Dredd 3D and Texas Chainsaw 3D are recent examples of 3D films with no separate 2D disc. I recently picked up Despicable Me 3D, which includes a 2D version on a separate disc, when the 3D disc actually provides options for viewing in 2D. Go figure.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now available for preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rolando

Screenwriter
Amazing. A great day for fans. If part 3 is a real BD 3D version ( not anaglyph) this is bought, I won't even look at the price, just buying!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Rolando said:
Amazing. A great day for fans. If part 3 is a real BD 3D version ( not anaglyph) this is bought, I won't even look at the price, just buying!
I'm guessing it will be anaglyph as it does not say NEW TO BLU-RAY in the description.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same. But that's not even fair to say, as I'm not in the market for any kind of Friday the 13th set. I've only ever seen the first couple of them. They're fun, but they aren't something that need to be in my collection which is a little more specially chosen than that.

HOWEVER... let it be known throughout the land that however lacking the third film may be, I would absolutely support, with my wallet, the proper release of any and all vintage 3D films, including this one.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I bet Friday the 13th Part 3-D will be like Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare on Blu-ray... the 3D sequence is simply 2D.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
I bet Friday the 13th Part 3-D will be like Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare on Blu-ray... the 3D sequence is simply 2D.
Since the previous individual release of Part III had an anaglyph 3-D and 2-D version on it, it's all but impossible that the box set won't have at least that much on it. That being said, I'd make a substantial bet that the disc will have the exact same content as the first release.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I'll echo what's been said above.

If Part 3 is in true 3D, then I'll buy this set - 100%.

If it's not, I won't. 100%.

(The only thing that would make me change my mind would be if all the films were unrated versions, but we all know that will NEVER happen! I've always felt that Part II in particular suffers from very distracting censoring.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I find it entertaining that the 3D on one of the crappier sequels is the deal breaker on this set. Wasn't the theatrical 3D presentation shit back on original release? I can't see 3D, so I'm indifferent. I'm waiting on reviews to see the quality of the transfers.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
TravisR said:
Since the previous individual release of Part III had an anaglyph 3-D and 2-D version on it, it's all but impossible that the box set won't have at least that much on it. That being said, I'd make a substantial bet that the disc will have the exact same content as the first release.
Yes, 99.9% sure it will be anaglyph but...they do not show the anaglyph glasses in this picture

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks