WHV Announcement: Sherlock Holmes (Blu-ray Combo Pack)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

2. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    makes me wish MPI would release the entire Rathbone/Bruce series in Blu, with all the extras that were on the single releases, UCLA did the restoration so these should still be good i think.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    This was a little dark I thought (cinematography), but other than that my wife and I really enjoyed this. I'll pick this one up for sure.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    This is on my blind-buy list.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

It's too bad that the studio that owns the Rathbone "Sherlock Holmes" films didn't take advantage of this release and put out a Blu-ray set. The Jeremy Brett "Holmes " series would have been nice too. A release of "The Seven Percent Solution" would have been good as well.

6. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I'm not sure the Jeremy Brett Holmes series would show much improvement on blu-ray as it was shot on standard 16mm. I know I would like to see it in HD, but I think the upgrade would be so slight that most people would likely not be able to see the difference.

Doug

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Interesting. I didn't know that. I didn't realize that professional productions still used 16mm. I thought that 16mm would mostly be used by amateur filmmakers as a cost saving measure and that most pro productions shot on film would be 35mm. Wasn't the original Trek shot on 16mm? I know they gussied it up, but the BDs do seem to be a marked improvement over the DVDs.

8. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

No the original Star Trek was shot on 35mm with Mitchell cameras just like the vast majority of American television shows at the time. However in England with much smaller budgets, most television shows were shot on 16mm film with the exception of the Gerry Anderson productions which I believe were all 35mm. Dr. Who was a mix of video (interiors shot on sets) and 16mm film (exteriors).

With the advent of the Panavision 16mm camera in the late 1980's, there was a flirtation with some American shows being shot on 16mm. Xena, In The Heat of the Night, Homicide: Life on the Street, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman among them. Burn Notice, The O.C., Scrubs, are, or were, shot in super 16mm. The combination of modern film stock, and the larger image area of super 16mm would probably make these shows more advantageous in HD.

16mm was actually created as an amateur format, but became a semi-professional medium when 8mm took over the amateur format in 1932.

Interestingly, when I was looking up some information on the Panavision 16mm "elaine" camera, I found an interesting statement from Panavision. "As of 2006, Panavision has no further plans to develop additional film camera models."
    Apparently the The XL series 35mm system will be the last film camera Panavision will make, all future R&D is going into digital cinematography.

Doug

9. Gekkou

Gekkou Stunt Coordinator

I'll be blind-buying this movie for sure.

The Hurt Locker was shot on 16mm.

10. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

The Hurt Locker is a combo of super 16mm and HD video.

Doug

11. Gekkou

Gekkou Stunt Coordinator

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

12. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Oh very true. In fact there seems to be an upsurge in super 16, particularly in television.

Doug

13. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    The recent "Halloween II" was also shot in 16mm to give it that grungy, grainy 70s aesthetic.

14. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    As was the recent "The House of the Devil", although there the intent was to make it look like a horror cheapie from the early 80s.