What's new

Whose Buying XP Today? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Not today, not tommorow. I still cannot see any advantage it would give me over 2000 Pro. Plus I like to mess about with my machines, so the activation procedure is going to be a royal pain in the arse.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Rob.
If my workplace gets a corporate copy I might be tempted to install it at home, but Win2K Pro has been a champ for about 1/2 a year now. I'll definitely NEVER go back to that piece of crap 9x kernel...

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I definately am. I've just been so anxious to get rid of Windows ME. I have to wait till after work to go pick up a copy. I hope there are still some left. I didn't preorder and I have no idea whether or not retailers are going to get a sufficient number of units.

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Not ever for me either. I really like Windows 2000 Pro. Very stable and it hasn't had many problems with my games. Some old ones it won't run, so I just give those to my sister (who has windows 98). I'm not really interested in dealing with the WPA so I doubt I'll upgrade again. Hopefully by the time they stop supporting Windows 2000 (in the far future) the public outcry will be bad enough that they'll dump the WPA.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Go for the upgrade. I've been running XP since about June/July and I haven't seen one blue screen yet. I upgraded from 2k without any regrets. In my opinion, XP is better. It's quicker and more reliable in every aspect. Give it a try, you'll love it.
Jeff
------------------
And yes, DVD-Audio does sound better.

Phil Reed

Auditioning
I am. Replacing win98 and adding another 256 Meg for 384 total. Lots of deals out there, and this should keep my old 450 Mhz PII buzzing for another year or two until the next generation machine carries me away.
Phil

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Well we got our corporate edition yesterday, and man this is the BEST OS Microsoft has put out yet! its fast, has loads of customizing, lots of neat little features....plus with the Corporate version no Activation!!!! So there even Rob would be fine.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about upgrading yet because of older games. I use my system for mostly games, so I haven't decided if I wanted to lose some of my games.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I am. I purchased a new computer at the first of August and have a coupon for an upgrade, but infortunately they say it will take 4-6 weeks for me to get my copy along with the updated drivers. Oh well, I'll just have to count down the days until I can get the ME piece of shit off of my HD.
I still have not decided to just upgrade or format and start from scratch. I just hate the idea of loading all of my programs on the computer again. Maybe I'll just try the upgrade first and see how well it works. I can always format and install from scratch if that doesnt work well.
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Hell no. I'm still using win98. I guess its time to go up to 2k though now that another windows version is out, but I will NEVER go up to XP. Never.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I'm sticking with Win2000 Pro. I can't see any andvantage in going to XP Pro. Maybe if I was still using Win98, I'd go to XP
Does the OEM version of XP (that you can get from some components vendors with eg a new hard drive) have the Activation bit?
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that the whole activation thing isn't a big deal. I installed XP pro on my system about a month ago. I just bought a new motherboard & chip (Athlon XP 1800) and I didn't feel like doing a clean install of windows so I just swapped out the parts. When I booted up, I got a screen saying that I needed to activate again. When I tried it over the net, it knew that it was activated on my old system. Oh no, what do I do? I call up Microsoft via there toll-free number and I was on hold for about 20 seconds. All I said to the guy was, "I installed a new motherboard, chip, and ram. I need to reactivate." I gave him a long ass number (62 digit string) and the he gave me another long ass number to type in. Then I was reactivated. What surprised me the most was that he didn't ask for my name, or anything else. I thought for sure he would ask me where I got Windows before release day but he didn't. I am pleased to know that Microsoft is that laid back about activation.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I'm still semi-happy with my Win 95 (no USB is the only thing that sucks).
If I need to upgrade, it will be to win98SE. maybe ME. I dont like what I've read about XP's activation scheme.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I received my new Dell computer with Windows XP preinstalled last Friday, and I've been plugging away at the thing ever since. Infinitely more stable than Windows 95 or 98, hasn't crashed yet. In the rare event that I have to ctrl-alt-del to end a task, XP closes the offending program with ease, asks if it can send an error report, and that's that.
If you're worrying that everything looks dumbed down, just go into a computer store and give it a try. While things have been moved around a bit to make performing the more common tasks easier for the casual user, everything's still there, and you have plenty of control.
I didn't have to deal with activating Windows XP itself, since Dell apparently took care of that, but I did have to activate Office XP the first time I loaded it up. It was incredibly simple - I chose to do it online, and I had the option of whether or not I'd like to enter my personal info (name, email address, etc.). That info wasn't required. So, basically, with one or two clicks of the mouse I was activated. Didn't take more than one or two minutes.

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I "upgraded" from Win98SE to XP Pro about a month ago and I think it was mostly worth it. I love it that they finally changed the design of the GUI. However,I have had some problems with some games not running,Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, B17 Flying Fortress, and Sudden Strike all will not run under XP Pro. But as far as loading apps and start-up, it blows all other versions of Windows away. Home networking is also a snap, most of the setup process does not even require restarting.

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
XP is by far a better OS than previous Windows. I've had it for a while now and not one blue screen. At first i had a problem with SB Live Drivers but they finally released them yesterday so i'm good to go. It really adds a nice look to the OS. Everything is so clean and crisp. Definately worth the upgrade for any skeptics out there.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I can understand the reason for upgrading from a 9x/ME os to XP, but I've yet to be convinced that there's any benefit in going from Win2000 Pro to XP Pro.
BTW, which versions are people getting? The XP Home or the XP Pro?
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks