What's new

Who Remembers Fractured Flickers? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
As a kid, I loved Rocky and Bullwinkle, so when Fractured Filckers showed up in 1960s I was hooked!!
Fractured Flickers was a live-action syndicated half-hour television comedy show that was produced by Jay Ward, who is otherwise known for animated cartoons. The pilot film was produced in 1961, but the series wasn't completed until 1963. Twenty-six episodes were produced; they were syndicated by Desilu Productions and played for several years on local stations.
Hosted by Hans Conreid, I always remember him best as the evil Dr.T in the 5,000 finger of...thier use of classic silent movies helped to spotlight many of the artists from that era, giving some a second life in front of the cameras again. And the exposure, however brief, for kids to want to explore more about the silent era of films many were not exposed to.
They always had short interviews with the stars of the day and many funny "Bits" . My favorite bit was Dinky Dunstan: Boy Cheerleader, taken clips from the classic 1923 Hunchback of Norte Dame with Lon Chaney as Dinky. To this day I still giggle a little!! And with the amazing talents of Paul Frees, June Foray and Bill Scott, it created a fun half hour series that the whole family loved to watch. Once the series went off the air, it was lost in time...until platforms like Youtube and others started showing wore copies of the series again. But no complete collections until VCI created the first Boxset of the series. Unfortunatly for us, VCI did a fair but laklustered upgrade and This series really needs a breath of life and a true loving upgrade to Blu-ray.

Attachments

• 51lNt04IopL.jpg
    51lNt04IopL.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Thirteen year old me loved this series and I still do. Thanks for reminding me that a re-watch is in order. And I'd happily purchase any upgrade in quality.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I saw some episodes recently this year on MOVIES! OTA network. They were showing them early in the morning., They looked fine to me. Don't know if they ran all 26.

There's an episode scheduled for 6 AM , Eastern, Saturday, Oct. 9th.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I watched them in the mid-60s. When Charlotte finally got a UHF station, it didn't have any network affiliation, so it filled its schedule with shows like Fractured Flickers and lots of old reruns from the 1950s like The People's Choice, December Bride, My Little Margie, Burns and Allen. I was too young to watch some of those shows when they first aired, so this is when I got to watch all of them.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes, I watched them in the mid-60s. When Charlotte finally got a UHF station, it didn't have any network affiliation, so it filled its schedule with shows like Fractured Flickers and lots of old reruns from the 1950s like The People's Choice, December Bride, My Little Margie, Burns and Allen. I was too young to watch some of those shows when they first aired, so this is when I got to watch all of them.
Thanks Matt, do you have the VCI box set? they're ok but really need the love of todays tech to bring it up to par...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I became aware of this show in only the last decade. I stumbled across a clip on YouTube one day and was instantly hooked on it. With the right studio/company, this could be a very well put together set for both DVD and Blu-ray.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
I don't have the set. In fact, I haven't seen the show since I saw it back in the 1960s, so I'd love to see it again. Jay Ward's brand of humor was/is right up my alley.
Sorry I missed your post before posting before, the box set is available on Amazon for around 70 bucks (unfortunately) for Region 1.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Well, remember that the clips themselves weren't in great shape. An upgrade would make Conried's bits look better, but I doubt it would help the bulk of the show unless someone wanted to go to all of the trouble of replacing all the footage with better quality clips.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Well, remember that the clips themselves weren't in great shape. An upgrade would make Conried's bits look better, but I doubt it would help the bulk of the show unless someone wanted to go to all of the trouble of replacing all the footage with better quality clips.

If those clips were to be replaced would they still be public domain as they were back in 1962 when this show was being created?

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
If those clips were to be replaced would they still be public domain as they were back in 1962 when this show was being created?

Of course. But my point is that it'd be incredibly labor-intensive for something that would be lucky to sell 500 copies.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I don't have the set. In fact, I haven't seen the show since I saw it back in the 1960s, so I'd love to see it again. Jay Ward's brand of humor was/is right up my alley.
VCI are the ones that issued the box set and still is available from them.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
the cheesyness of the footage added to the hocky, but remastering the studio footage would be a nice change, just me!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
Vaguely. I was 6 or 7 when it ran. I remember it as funny. The Dinky Dunstan clip cracked me up. I'll have to check out some more. Thanks for the post.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Vaguely. I was 6 or 7 when it ran. I remember it as funny. The Dinky Dunstan clip cracked me up. I'll have to check out some more. Thanks for the post.

This is my favorite clip of the series. It's so random, which makes it comedy gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks