What's new

who is happy with their 2005 hdtv purchase (1 Viewer)

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I got the sony 30 inch xs955 about a month ago, and it has taken video games, and dvds to the next level. Could not be more happy with it, im just wondering what everyone else thinks. I guess my only downside is HDTV, it looks too good! Dvds dont compare anymore, that and HDTV programming needs to expand ASAP. Just wondering what everyone else thinks

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've had HDTV for about 5 years, via my projector (Runco CL-710) and now with two additional devices (a 720p Plasma and a 1080p HP MD5880n). Once I saw the "state of the art" at CEDIA 2005 this past year I knew it was time to convert all my sets to HD. I've also added a lot of stuff to enhance the regular source materials in my HT and recently updated my site to reflect this and offer details and my thoughts on all this.

Rather than taking up more space here repeating what I've stated in other threads on HD, you are welcome to link to my HT site for further details. (Link in my signature, below).

You are right. Once you see proper HD it's hard to watch SD any more.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
When I first bought the HDTV, I was so impressed with the razor sharp detail of HD contents and KQED became my favorite channel for a while. :D Kinda like when you first set up the two channel system, the musical taste shifts from pop/rock to Jazz because there are more superior content in Jazz. Yes, standard 480i or even progressive 480p contents from DVD do not look impressive any more. I went through three different upscaling DVD players to restore a little bit of sanity watching DVD movies. Good news is that even the budget level $100 - $200 upscaling DVD players can provide decent improvement over standard 480 output. Good enough to bridge the gap until HD DVD finally arrives.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, the Oppo 971H upscaling DVD player, at under $200, is remarkable for the money.

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
Took delivery of my first HDTV in late December. Sony KDSR-60XBR1 (SXRD)and could not be happier. In the past I avoided watching any HD sources (stores, friends houses etc..) because I KNEW i'd want it...had no idea how great it actually was. Find myself watching programming I normally would not due to it being in HD..

I have an older Sony progressive scann DVD player and I find that difficult to watch after HD....maybe an OPPO will help until blu-ray? Not sure how much better it would be though

HD gooooood

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Honestly i find that HD via cable is too compressed, it really dosent look any better than a good DVD goign at 480p However i am anxiously awaiting the day when its all digital and the compression is lower.

Steve_Drake

Stunt Coordinator
John...sorry but id have to completely disagree, NFL this season was amazing. But HD TNT movies are still ehh...so so

NateS

Agent
I'm thrilled with my HD purchase. I went from a 27" Samsung SD TV to 56" 1080p Toshiba DLP. If that's not a big jump, I don't know what is. I've watched so many HD concerts of bands I don't even like, just because it looks so freakin' good....That's not even mentioning the NFL games I was able to take in!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This may be a sample to sample or a source thing, but I have to say that the majority of HD content over my 30+ HD channels is far superior to even the best DVDs. True, some stuff that gets out there is either upscaled from a lesser source or otherwise compromised by some stations, but the majority of what I watch is definitely the best imagery I've ever seen. And it's not a subtle difference but a night and day difference. I'm currently using a 1080p monitor as the display.

Now that I have my locals available from Dish over the satellite I'm amazed how good the picture can be. Jaw dropping. I could almost see the botox injections on Paula Abdul's face during American Idol this week. (Well, maybe that's not the best image to convince you to watch HD.)

:laugh: :laugh:

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Steve thats a good point, not all HD channels seem to be the same, personally i ahvent been truly impressed with Shaw HD, ive seen much better from other providers.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just over 1 month ago, I received my new Samsung HLR6178W, 61" DLP. The picture is stunning. From what the user manual says, it accepts a 1080P input on it's dvi port only so, as long as I can plug in my hd-dvd player into a dvi port, (whenever I finally buy an hddvd player), I'll be a happy camper.

The Xbox 360 looks amazing on it!

mylan

Screenwriter
Got my 60" Sony RP LCD 14 months ago and have been pleased so far, non HD looks from decent to just plain crappy but HD looks stunning, sometimes wish I had gotten a front projector though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks