What's new

Who else is looking forward to the Panasonic DMP-BD50? (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

From some other thread (probably in AVS), somebody got this e-mail:

"Dear Valued Panasonic Customer,

Unfortunately, due to the release of an ever newer Panasonic BluRay model, the DMP-BD50K has been discontinued.

The DMP-BD55 will be released in early October. This model be smaller in size, and will contain the same PHL Reference Chroma Processor, and P4HD for advanced picture processing in 1080P, but will also offer enhancements sound quality."

I have to say, that it´s a bit odd that BD50 just arrived, and now it has been "discontinued" (I guess)... What was the point actually?

I probably would wait for the BD55. It´s just a few months away... Not sure what you actually "gain" with it, though (vs BD50).

Official site:
http://panasonic.net/pavc/blu-ray/dmp-bd35_55/
(pictures also show, that BD55 is indeed "slimmer": http://www.panasonic.net/blu-ray/ )

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
7.1 analog outputs. A lot of people were screaming about the BD50 only having 5.1. This sounds like a response to those complaints.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I guess so. But for the people with HDMI-receivers, these analog outputs doesn´t mean much.

But in any case, it´s only a few months, so I guess many people will wait for the "updated" BD-55.. Is there a price difference, btw?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The whole POINT of the BD50 (and the BD55) was the analog outputs, else people would have gone with some other (cheaper) 2.0 solution.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
There are still a lot of us who don't have an HDMI receiver/pre-pro who are awaiting a BD player that internally decodes everything and has MCH analogue outputs. Too bad none of them perform (yet) as well as the PS3 in terms of profile, speed and price (I'm willing to pay a small premium for MCH analogue output but lossless audio is not a "must have", for me, judging from the results I get with the "core" of my HD DVD audio via toslink--I expect it to be at least as good with BD). I may well forgo the lossless audio in favour of the PS3, at least for my first player--I can always move the PS3 to the family room and get either A) and HDMI receiver and player w/o MCH analogue output or B) a player with MCH outputs at a price and performance that matches the current PS3 (not anytime soon, apparently) and keep my otherwise fine receiver.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How many have the BD-50 player? I've had mine for about two weeks now and have moved my BD-30 up to my bedroom HT. My Samsungs are officially retired, at least for me anyways. I'm giving one of them to my brother so he can finally have Blu-ray in his house. However, I still have to get a memory card for the BD-50, but so far I'm very happy with this new player.

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I just tested (European) BD50-player (at my home, that´s) and here are my brief thoughts:

These are supported:

*DVD-R = Yes
*DVD+R = Yes
*DVD-RW = Yes
*DVD+RW = Yes
*DVD+R DL = Yes
*DVD-R DL = Should work ok (I didn´t test it myself)
*CD-R = yes
*CD-RW = Should work ok (I didn´t test it myself)
*DVD-RAM = Should work ok (I didn´t test it myself)

*DivX = Should work ok (I didn´t test it myself) - "Plays all versions of DivX® video (including DivX®6) with standard playback of DivX® media files."

*SACD = No.

*JPEG from CD-R = Yes
*JPEG from DVD-R = NO
*MP3 from CD-R = Yes
*MP3 from DVD-R = NO

+ =
*Excellent Blu-ray quality.
*HDMI 1.3 - Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD High Resolution & Master supported
*bitstream output (it was great to actually see those "DTS-HD MSTR" and "Dolby TrueHD" lit on the receiver’s display..
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)
*Full "Profile 2.0"
*1080/24p playback (I don´t have a 24fps TV yet, though)
*Ethernet connection
*Rather silent.
*Light, quite slim.
*SD card reader (this is probably nice to have...)
(*5.1 analog out - NOTE: "Only" 5.1 for some, not 7.1...)

- =
*Slow-ish boot-up times, not the fastest player out there (vs PS3)
*MP3s and JPEGs not supported via DVD-/+R (I have many photos and MP3s on a DVD-R - perhaps not a big deal for many)
*Doesn´t show audio/video bitrates ("display" shows video codec, soundtrack, current time code, total running time)
*Remote has "audio" button, but not "subtitle"? Did I miss it?
(*Didn´t get the "Profile 2.0"-extra "MoLog" to work from "Rambo (2007)"-disc.. Not sure what the problem was... It was my only "R0/Region B" disc with "2.0" extras at the moment...)

About SD upscaling (my LCD is 1080p):
Upscales to 1080p. I did some testing (NOT in-depth testing for sure, but some minor testing nevertheless) and my conclusion is, that PS3 has a slight edge on that department. The overall (upscaled) picture with PS3 was a bit sharper and "cleaner" (when it comes to upscaling artifacts, halos and such). The difference wasn´t huge or anything and "Joe six-pack" probably won´t care (or notice). All this IMO, of course. Perhaps others might disagree.

Euro-model: Region coded to "Region B" (BD) and "R2" (SD DVD). Both PAL and NTSC (and 50i/60i) supported.

Solid "Profile 2.0"-player, with great BD-quality and good (but not great) upscaling. If there´s no hurry, I probably would wait for the reviews of the upcoming Sony-models (before making that "final decision").

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
I think the current buyers are weighing the options of buying one now or waiting for the bd55. I don't need 7.1 analog outs only 5.1 (have B&K Ref 50), so i made the purchase for the BD50 and sold the PS3.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Review | TechRadar UK

Re the review: Too bad IMO more attention is not given to the player's upscaling performance. And, regarding his third para, although this reviewer may not have seen the deck, the BD10 of course has 7.1 analog outs. His use of the word "spec" in the first para of his "Audio upgrades" para is confusing.

Re the player: Looks like SD cards are still necessary for BD Live functionality. Panasonic's relationship with SanDisk rears its head again. I don't care for the (cost cutting?) move of using a switchable L and R analog pair as the double for the surround back channel connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks