What's new

Who else has hoped a movie would fail at box office, so you could get the dvd sooner? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know that i'm not alone in this. When I see a movie at the theater that I loved like The Others, and then I hear that it's not doing so well, part of me is saying "That's a real shame! Audiences don't know what good movies are!". But then, thiers this greedy side to my personality that actually WANTS it to fail so I could have the dvd sooner!
Anyone else have this side to them? And if so, witch movies?
------------------
Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I want every film I like to do well at the box office. That way, the people who made it are more likely to get another shot.
M.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Never. Never never never.
I'm serious. If I like a movie, I want it to do well so I can recommend it to friends and they have a chance to see it in theaters, I want it to do well so that the people who made it can get better-compensated for its good work, I want it to do well so that the studios see that there's an audience for movies like that, and I want it to do well so that I may have a second chance to see it in the theaters if I really liked it.
The video release will come out eventually, and that's fine. But I'll take all of the above and a Phantom Menace-long wait (during which time a cool supplement package can be put together) over a quick video release any day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Others is actually doing very well in theaters and has become the sleeper hit of late summer. It had the lowest decline in the top 10 this past weekend. Produced for only $17 million, it's headed for a domestic gross of $60-70 million. Not too shabby.
BTW, when a film is as good as The Others is, I never want them to fail, I want them to succeed so studios will produce more like them instead of horrible crap like American Pie 2. Now that's a film that I would have liked to see fail as punishment for being sooo bad. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Final Fantasy got around $30 million in the US, yet the DVD is packed with extras. They are also making a second version of the DVD for use on the PlayStation 2 that will allow you to play around with the movie. This is one example of a movie that can bomb and get a great DVD package.

Jodee

Screenwriter
One of my favorite films of 1999, Allison Anders' Sugar Town, failed at the box office.
It still has not been released on DVD to this day.
frown.gif

Be careful what you wish for...
[Edited last by Jodee on August 21, 2001 at 11:02 PM]
[Edited last by Jodee on August 21, 2001 at 11:04 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks