What's new

White Flashes during DVD (1 Viewer)

Stephan J.

Auditioning
I have an Hitachi 57f500 and Sony DVD player. While watching rental DVD's I have had white flashes appear around the edges of the screen. This has happened with three different players. I don't think it is the TV because it only happens during DVD's. It doesn't happen with DVD's I own except after I watch a rental disc. Then it happens, but eventually stops. Just wondering if rental discs are causing some sort of damage or if anyone else has heard of this happening. It is extremely distracting and I have not had any luck with the manufacturers. Thanks in advance.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you need more overscan on your TV. On many (CRT) TV sets the picture is slightly smaller when the overall content is darker, and ragged edges of the video frame may be coming into view.

Also the DVD players might be formatting the video signal so the picture appears slightly narrower than from other sources such as your VCR. This is normal, within tolerances I don't know.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Stephan,

Can you "frame step" through the DVD and find the frames with the white flashes, or does it only happen during real-time playback?

Can you freeze an errored frame on screen?

My initial reaction would be an overscan issue as well, but it doesn't explain why it happens only on rental discs (although, this could be a mind trick, that you are looking for it on rentals more closely, having convinced yourself that is the source of the problem).

-Vince

Stephan J.

Auditioning
I cannot frame step, it happens all the time. I've noticed now that it happens also when the dvd is not being played but the player is on. It does not occur until I turn the player on. Again though, it does not happen all the time. I went three months without seeing it at all.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my guess is this is somehow related to your dvd input. does it only happen when watching dvd's? what about when watching regular tv?

i really doubt it's a rental dvd issue.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

So what you're saying is that it is not affiliated with the actual video information on the disc (it is not an error in a frame): You can't freeze a single frame and find the error-- but rather it is an impulse coming from the player/ display itself: regardless of the status of the DVD?

If you don't put in a DVD and just have the player on (with no disc inserted)- does it also flash?

I'm guessing if it happened with several players that it is the input on your TV or receiver that your DVD player is connected to.

Is your video switching done on the set, or via the receiver (is the dvd player video send connected directly to the TV set or routed thorugh a receiver first)?

Am i correct in assuming you have a specific video input that the dvd player is always connected to (on the Tv set or the receiver)? Have you ever tried hooking a different device (like a VCR or Cable box) to this input instead and see if the flashing happens?

StephenHa

Second Unit
rental dvd's are the same thing as you buy so that shouldn't make a difference, I'm thinking something with the input, do you have anything else you can put on that input? or possibly another input for dvd (component 2 instead of 1)

Stephan J.

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies. First my dvd player is hooked straight to the tv on component video. I have tried different inputs and it still does this. Also, when it flashes it will do it with the movie playing AND with just the player on. But it does it at random times. Also I can turn the player off and sometimes it will stop. Again, thanks for the assistance.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sounds like a bad dvd player. try a different dvd player if possible.

also, you didn't answer whether this happens when you're watching regular tv or not.

point is, i think this is related to your dvd player (or maybe bad cables) and not your tv ... that's a good thing.

Stephan J.

Auditioning
It does not happen with regular tv or vcr. I have changed dvd players but not cables. I will try that and see if it helps.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay, so let's see.

it only happens when watching dvd's, not regular tv. it happens regardless of which input or type of video cable you use. you've changed *both* dvd players and video cables.

man, color me stumped. what's odd is that it only happens when watching dvds, but you've changed players, inputs and cables.

maybe the tv is hanging up when receiving some particular resolution or format? what's dvd anyway? 480i, 480p ... something like that?

uh...guys....??? :b

Stephan J.

Auditioning
The dvd player is interlaced, I am using the tv for the conversion to progressive. It is strange but very apparent when watching movies. Especially 2.35:1. It looks like there is some sort of interference but I cannot find anything that could be causing it. What is the overscanning problem mentioned earlier.

Stephan J.

Auditioning
The dvd player is interlaced, I am using the tv for the conversion to progressive. It is strange but very apparent when watching movies. Especially 2.35:1. It looks like there is some sort of interference but I cannot find anything that could be causing it. What is the overscanning problem mentioned earlier.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Can you find an adjustment named "width" or "hsize" or labeled with a horizontal two headed arrow, in an on-screen menu? (If you can get into service mode you might look for this in a service menu) Increasing this adjustment introduces or adds to overscan.

Most likely your computer monitor has such an adjjustment for this so you can try it out and get an idea of what will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks