What's new

Which Vivitek Projector (1 Viewer)

sean51892

Agent
Real Name
Sean
Oh and I forgot to add I don't really have any interest in 3D. If it comes with the capability that is fine, but I would prefer to not pay extra for it because I doubt I will be using it at all.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Once you decide on your budget, just for projector, we can give you some recommendations. Also, if you want DLP or LCD. If you buy a screen, it's going to cost you at least $500 for a fixed screen. Or you can make your own for $25 to $100. There are numerous DIY screens and paint formulas at Avsforum.com.

sean51892

Agent
Real Name
Sean
I would say my budget for the projector itself is right around $2-2500. That will leave me enough in the overall budget to set it up with good mounts and cables and everything and to either buy or do a DIY screen. Basically I want a limit of $3000 for the WHOLE setup. We had a major unexpected expense in the remodel that is going to make me keep my budget on this pretty strict. But I figure for $3000 I can get a pretty nice setup on the screen and projector and everything

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Upon checking the "Calculator Pro" at Projector Central with your throw distance of 15', and 120" diagonal screen size, the following projectors will work for you, and will be bright enough. These are all highly rated, popular projectors. Check out the reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com.
LCD - Epson 8350, Epson 5010(may be slightly over budget)
DLP - Optoma HD33, Benq W7000

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't forget the used market either. Before you "commit to buy", keep checking your local Craigslist and Ebay.
I have a 4 year old JVC that I bought with an extended warranty, a 2nd bulb and 700-ish hours on the clock. "All in" with mount I have less than $2000 in it. It was essentially a little over a year old when I got it 2 summers ago.
If you were anywhere near this...yeah it is a "little old"...but I certainly wouldn't mind if it managed to find its way to my house....if I needed it...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/3224478161.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And when looking on the used market, beware of these turds....
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/3233862945.html (this one is even mentioned here....it is hysterical)
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/3194375191.html

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:
Don't forget the used market either. Before you "commit to buy", keep checking your local Craigslist and Ebay.
I have a 4 year old JVC that I bought with an extended warranty, a 2nd bulb and 700-ish hours on the clock. "All in" with mount I have less than $2000 in it. It was essentially a little over a year old when I got it 2 summers ago.
If you were anywhere near this...yeah it is a "little old"...but I certainly wouldn't mind if it managed to find its way to my house....if I needed it...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/3224478161.html
FPJ1
HD750
RS1
This is the one I purchased for $1100 shipped, he hasnt taken the ad down yet....
A quick prism cleaning later and I have a new-looking RS1X, ceiling mount and two new bulbs for just over a grand....
17f55964_100_1169.jpeg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buying a used car is risky...
Buying a used appliance is risky...
Buying a used AVR is risky...
Of my 26 years of "buying my own AV"...
With clear conscience, I can say I buy 90% of everything I've ever had...used.
Turntables(in my opinion, even more risky than buying a projector)...
AVR (out of the "I have no idea how many I've had", 2 have been purchased new. And that is because I sell wholesale)
Speakers (I've never bought new home speakers)
BD players (I was given an LG BD390 when our "branch" achieved "LG sales goal". The other three BD players I have are CL/Ebay finds for under $100)
Projector(I've had two, both used)
I have a Screen Research. Yeah you "can" get a new one...but it is like pulling teeth.
I've been burned about 10 times total...in 26 years. Four of those were car audio.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I have two fully-functional used projectors in my home, right now, that say otherwise. That includes my used JVC RS1X.
I also have 7 used speakers, a used AVR, a used DSLR, a used blu ray player, a used game console.... All them consumer electronics, I bought used and say otherwise too. I kid you not.
When shopping the used market there is defiantly a couple of questions you need to ask yourself: Am I smart enough to shop the used market wisely? Can I use common sense? Can I do my homework? Can I appreciate that, just as in the new market, things may not always go to plan? I might have to actually work with someone to get something resolved, can I handle it? Ill admit, some folks struggle with these concepts and as a result have no business shopping in the used market (for anything). ;)
Some basic common sense rules when shopping the used market and making it less "risky":
Try to deal with folks that have an established good reputation.
Willing to take paypal. I usually wont do business without it and a verified address to boot.
Willing to talk to you on the phone.
Willing to converse via email.
Is seeing the item in person an option, even if its not practical for you.
Try to purchase items with a known history. IE try to avoid second owner sellers.
Know what to ask, and what to look for, for a given item. Know nothing about DSLR cameras but in the used market for your first? Fine, google it. Youd be amazed what you can find.
Verify the deal. Youd be amazed the old folks out there that are asking $800 for that plasma they bought 5 years ago. Ya know, the same plasma they spent $1500 on and yet the current model, brand new, is currently $900.
And the number one rule: use your head.

sean51892

Agent
Real Name
Sean
I would be a little leery of buying a used projector. It's one of those things if I did buy one used it would be from somebody on CL that I got to go see it in working condition before buying instead of just ordering it online. I would much rather just find a good deal on a new one!
Jim, I haven't looked at any of the Epsons but I will check them out as well. I am going to have to see if anywhere is having Labor Day weekend sales on projectors!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I wouldn't do the Craigslist thing either, but that's up to you. With your budget, there's no reason to gamble on a used projector. You will have a brand new projector with a new bulb, and a warranty. Have you dedided on DLP or LCD yet? Before you decide, you really need to view each type.

sean51892

Agent
Real Name
Sean
Yea I agree. And no I haven't had a chance to view any yet, school just started back up so I have been swamped between work, school, and family time! I am taking the wifey furniture shopping this weekend, SO I plan on getting to do some projector shopping in return lol. Hopefully I find some places with some up and running.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dumb question....
Why do people think projectors are "riskier" than DLP RPTV or 2-3yo plasma...???
It isn't like we are pushing him into buying a Samsung projector(which thank goodness doesn't even exist).
To each their own though. There are several very worthy projectors on Fleabay from 1-3 years old...many with a new bulb...that will end up somewhere between $1200-$1800. Projectors that had original prices $4500+.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Only thing I've ever been mindful of when buying used electronics is moving parts; disk drives, tape drives, non ssd hard disk drives, ect.... Since most items have some sort of thermal protection i never considered a sudden fan failure a big cause for concern but otherwise moving parts could fail over time. Ive always had great success in the used market but hey, to each his own...

sean51892

Agent
Real Name
Sean
I saw a sharp on display today at a store here and the picture looked pretty good on it. I am pretty sure I will be happy with most projectors I don't have to have the best picture ever just something good. I don't want that sharp, but that was the first display one I've seen and I really liked it. I had another guy recommend the vivitek to me also. He said vivitek or epson. I haven't seen any of the JVC's in the store or anything yet though.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
These guys are saying Vivitek because they're selling it. I'm not saying they're junk, but Vivitek would not be near the top of my list. And I don't think your budget will allow a JVC projector(unless it's a refurb). Once you choose between DLP or LCD, it will be much easier to choose a projector. Do you know what model the Sharp was?

sean51892

Agent
Real Name
Sean
I'm not sure on the sharp model, but it retailed close to 3k but it was at some audio video shop on sale. He said it was great but said you couldn't really adjust it well for some reason. He still was recommending it after saying that lol. They mainly had high end like 6-15,000 projectors in there so not in my price range!
I have been thinking DLP more than likely.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Since a brand new factory authorized JVC HD250 D-ILA can be had for $2100 Ill be very curious to see which DLP you decide on.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Type A said:
Since a brand new factory authorized JVC HD250 D-ILA can be had for $2100 Ill be very curious to see which DLP you decide on.
The JVC 250 is WAY TOO DIM to work with his 15' throw and 120" diagonal screen. It would only put out 9 foot lamberts, and the desired minimum is 16.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks