What's new

Which Video Card? (1 Viewer)

Phillip Hintze

Auditioning
I'm looking for a cheap upgrade from my Voodoo 3 2000. I'm looking at either a GeForce2 MX400 64MB card or the Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (KYRO II). What do you guys think?
------------------
"Legend has it that Tacho can transform himself into a large white bird"

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I take it this is for gaming? If that is so, any of the 2 would be marvelous. The pricing on any seems about the same but the GeForce has a nice following among hardcore gamers. They even overclock the darn thing to squeeze about every ounce it can put out.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
If it's for DVD, get a Radeon 32 MB DDR OEM for $70 from Link Removed to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The Kyro II consistently beats the GeForce MX cards in performance, at least. However, Nvidia makes very solid drivers indeed which is a big plus.
I agree with Eric that either of those two would give quite sufficient performance for the vast majority of games out there, especially if you have no plans of playing in very high resolutions.
ATI has some very nice new Radeon cards on the way now though, but they will be high-end and pretty expensive.
------------------
/Kimmo

Phillip Hintze

Auditioning
I had actually been considering a 32MB or 64MB DDR Radeon. I know they are great for HTPC with the video out and everything, but how are they for gaming? Will they do hardware T&L? As far as gaming, how do they compare with the GeForce2 MX400 or the KyroII chipsets?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd go for the Kyro.I believe that they just released GOOD driver.
ATI has problems releasing ANY drivers.
Meanwhile Nvidea has the best drivers around.
Has fun. I play with a Rage Fury Pro32MB, an with everthing set at max..8/600 32 bit.. Max Payne is perfectly playable.
My card is outdated so any card you choose should work fine..
LL cool B

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I say go with a GeFORCE 2 PRO card.....i saw one the other day for $137 online I will see if I can dig up that link.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Check out newegg.com. They got them cards for under $100....wow....sure wish I could stick those in my PC.
I play Counter-Strike a lot and only with a pathetic ATI AIW 8MB paired with an equally obsolete Voodoo2 12 MB. But I get 50-70 fps at 800x600...so I don't complain much.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I would recommend the Leadtek Winfast GeForce 2 GTS. This was rated as slightly faster than other GeForce 2 GTS. Plus, CS was really fast. My fan went dead; I sent an email; they got back to me in 2 business days; emailed a RA number. All total, it tok about 1.5 week.
Edit: Forgot to mention that I got it from Mwave.com. They got pretty good CS too. They got back to me in one business day regarding the above problem.
------------------
Best, Sam
[Edited last by Samuel Des on September 26, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks