What's new

Which version of Battle Royale to get? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm looking to pick this one up. I've heard that it's out on multiple R0 discs, and was wondering which one was the closest to definitive. Thx in advance...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Assuming you need R0/1 and NTSC...

First, it should be noted that there are two versions of the film, the original theatrcal release and an extended version. For the original theatrical cut, your best bet is the R0 NTSC UK disc from Tartan. Extras are minimal, but the transfer, audio, and removable subtitles are very good. For the extended cut, your best bet is the 2-disc R0 NTSC Korean disc from Starmax (or OOP release from Cream, if you can find it, which is basically the same but without DTS). The extras on the 2nd disc aren't subtitled in English, but the itself film is. The audio and video are very good.

If you can play PAL discs, you may want the R0 UK disc of the extended cut from Tartan, which does have English subs for the extras. Even if you can play PAL discs, though, this release is more expensive than the Korean one, and so you may still want to go for the Korean release, anyway.

I own the R0 NTSC UK disc of the theatrical cut and the 2-disc R0 NTSC Korean release from Cream.

DJ

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If you can play PAL discs, you may want the R0 UK disc of the extended cut from Tartan, which does have English subs for the extras. Even if you can play PAL discs, though, this release is more expensive than the Korean one, and so you may still want to go for the Korean release, anyway.
Be warned, the Tartan 2-disc has been SLOWED DOWN 4%

Instead of the usual return to 24fps and then speeding up 4%, whatever nitwit authored the Tartan disc kept the running time intact for PAL(so a movie that should be 114min in PAL is 122). You really should buy both the Korean and Tartan 2-disc and pair them. The Tartan is also missing subs on at least 1 extra

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have the Korean 2 disk version and am very happy with it (except for the lack of subs on the extras)
I'd recommend it, good price and good video/audio.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Kewl. Looks like I'll go for the Korean 2-discer. Any pointers on where to pick it up?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I got mine from hkflix.com I've had a very good experience ordering from them. I'm currently waiting for a 10 pack of Shaw Bros Kung Fu flicks. This is where I go for all of my import/Asian films.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but the Starmax version is not region coded... making it more convenient (just stick the little bastard in any standard DVD player and GO). :)

You may want to get both the Korean and UK Tartan versions also... mainly because the director (before he died) said that the theatrical (read:shorter) version, in the R0 NTSC Tartan version, is his preferred cut of the film. It's readily available at Amazon UK (make sure to get the one with the cover that says "NTSC 5.1 VERSION").

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the 2-disc R2 Tartan release of the S.E version is the only one with literal subtitles!
Read around before buying any version of the S.E.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I know I'm chiming in here a little late, but I got my copy of the R0/NTSC Korean 2-disc from DVD Asian for a pretty good price (around 25 shipped), and customer service was nothing short of perfect.

Ash Atchison

Agent
The Korean (Starmax) R0 2-Disc may be the best bet in terms of bang-for-your-buck quantity (DTS, no subs extras disc), but the font used for the subs are terrible. Everything is on what might be described as "extra extra bold", and is legible, but quite distracting.

Also, I believe it uses the same translation from the Tartan R0 (which is quite good) for all of the theatrical version scenes, but apparently translated (and I use the term loosely) the new added "special edition" scenes themselves, which makes way for quite a bit of unintentional hilarity.

It's a coin toss, really.

RobD

Second Unit
If your looking for bang for buck, I got the R3 DTS relase for about $7 from ddd house. Sound is fine but picture is a little murky, I dont generally bother watching the extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks