What's new

Which Shows Would Look Best on Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
We've done variations on this theme, but not recently. Which shows, from the 50s onward, would look terrific if upgraded to blu-ray? We can choose any filmed television show that doesn't as of yet have a blu-ray release. We can discuss whether simple ports of existing prints would be viable, or whether major restoration work would have to be done before a blu-ray release. But it's not a thread about the likelhood of certain shows being suddenly released on blu; this is a list of what would you think would look good and what you would actually want to buy. Don't turn it into a downer thread like "Fox doesn't put out its older shows on blu-ray so the hell with you! End of discussion!" Nope--this ain't that thread, m'kay? Here are some other things to point out, however: It really has to be a filmed television show, rather than a videotaped show. Videotaped shows don't have enough information to make much of a difference when upgraded to blu. For those shows that are already available on dvd, that's pretty much as good as they're ever going to look. So we can't make a second pass at favorites like Three's Company or the Jeffersons. It can't be a show that was shot on film and edited on videotape. Again, same problem as above. If by some miracle and by spending X millions of dollars, the studios could actually gather together all the original filmed elements and re-edit those shows, then there'd be a reason to put it on blu. They are already attempting that with Star Trek: the Next Generation. But other shows are going to suffer; shows like Dallas that were edited on videotape. I can't see Warners spending half a billion dollars gathering and restoring elements from all 350+ episodes. So in these cases, we're probably stuck with what we have (which is fine). Most shows in this category were edited in this fashion from the 80s to the 90s in an attempt to save money, and as it turns out, it was a very short-sighted way of staying on the cheap and the studios are probably regretting it in this hi-def age. If you're not sure which shows were edited on video, just ask the forum members! So here's a short list that you can add to: I Love Lucy: This is a remarkably well-preserved series that's been very closely guarded by its owners for 60 years now. The existing restored prints look wonderful on dvd and arguably better than any other shows of its generation. The existing prints are probably good enough to do a port over to blu without having to do much work otherwise. And it's I Love Lucy, so if I were a betting man, I'd say that this series will be the next (first?) classic tv show to reach blu-ray. The Untouchables: Here was a black and white show that was known for terrific photography and deserves to be seen on blu. I don't have the current dvds, but by all accounts they look fine. Mission Impossible and Hawaii 5-0: I always thought these shows looked great, especially in the earlier seasons. A lot of color shows from the late 60s look better than their 70s and 80s counterparts. The Big Valley: It was basically snubbed on dvd. But I think there's enough interest for a do-over someday. It boasts some stunning photography and deserves to be seen in all its glory for the first time. I felt that the prints on the existing dvds were dicey; some were better than others. I feel that the whole 120 episodes would have to be remastered and cleaned before contemplating a blu release. Gilligan's Island: Don't laugh, but yeah, it's been pretty well-preserved and would look great on blu. Bewitched: While all 8 seasons looked acceptable on dvd, there were still a few episodes that were in need of minor restoration. Nevertheless, this is one enduring and classic show that deserves to be on blu. HR Pufnstuf: The Wizard of Oz of Saturday morning kids' shows. A show that recently saw its second pass on dvd; all but one of the existing prints look amazing and the show really deserves to be seen in all its hi-def glory on blu. The Wild, Wild, West: A show that retains a dedicated fanbase. This one look damn good on dvd and is just bursting out with blu potential. Another pass, please! The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres: All were very popular in their day, and abandoned on dvd. Perhaps Complete Series sets of each on blu?? Lost in Space: This one is begging for a blu-ray! The dvds pretty much sucked; according to forum posts, the Columbia House vhs copies, circa 1993, looked better than the dvds. I'd have to guess that a major restoration job would be in order before a blu release, but this particular show also has a huge fanbase, so let's see what happens. Dynasty, and Fantasy Island: Two Aaron Spelling shows that looked better on dvd than they did when they originally aired (except for the 2nd Fantasy Island pilot movie, which looked like kaka!) Fantasy Island died an early death on dvd and deserves a grand gesture on the part of whoever is wise enough to put it on blu. The Dynasty dvds look great, but they'd look even better on blu.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea how the production of these shows was handled but given the proper sources I would love to see these series eventually make their way to Blu-ray. In terms of cinematography, amongst other things, I have always been a fan of the series Kung Fu and with the proper care I believe it could be very striking. The other title that immediately comes to mind for its distinctive visual palette is David Lynch's series Twin Peaks. - Walter.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great list, Ethan.

Given that all we've heard about classic titles supposedly being a tough sell on BD (which is a shame considering how great they can look) my belief is that the two most likely candidates for a BD release would be

I Love Lucy

Honeymooners (Classic 39)

A show that probably wouldn't perform well at retail on BD but which would look superb is Perry Mason. The DVDs look fantastic but I doubt consumers (after waiting 6 years to get 6 seasons with 3 more to go) are going to want to start over.

If the rights issues ever get worked out, both Batman and The Green Hornet would be natural candidates for BD. The former particularly with its bold and vibrant colors would really pop. The latter doesn't have all that many episodes and could be marketed as a Complete Series release.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Space: 1999 Series 2 (as Network and A&E have evidently pulled the plug on Blu-Ray-ing it, the 2002 A&E DVDs will be the best this will ever look) UFO (I believe HD transfers of this already exist) Spiderman '67 (though the 2004 DVDs look very nice upscaled) Planet of the Apes (why, oh, why wasn't this released this year in conjunction with the new Apes movie?) The Bionic Woman (though the DVDs look very close to Blu quality)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Walter Kittel said:
I have no idea how the production of these shows was handled but given the proper sources I would love to see these series eventually make their way to Blu-ray. In terms of cinematography, amongst other things, I have always been a fan of the series Kung Fu and with the proper care I believe it could be very striking. The other title that immediately comes to mind for its distinctive visual palette is David Lynch's series Twin Peaks. - Walter.
I'm not sure if Twin Peaks was edited on videotape or not. The current dvd looks stunning--the episodes look just as good as they did on their original air dates. I do hope it was shot on film, however, because it deserves a blu treatment. Kung Fu would also look amazing on blu--and I hope if it ever gets a second pass, they'll not screw with the aspect ratio like they did last time. Steve, I have no idea how the studios come up with the notion that classic shows won't do well on blu, seeing as how they haven't really tried as of yet! I think once Lucy makes it to blu, they'll see that people are willing to shell out $$ once again, and maybe they'll try other shows on blu as well. And hopefully, the first shows out will be the ones that were botched on dvd in the first place, like Kung Fu, Lost in Space and so on.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was absolutely floored when I first saw the color releases of The Wild Wild West. That color was so rich and inviting, and on Blu-ray, those shows would be astounding. Of the B&W series, I think both The Untouchables and Perry Mason would knock our socks off. I don't see any of this happening, of course, but it's lots of fun to imagine.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
I'm not sure if Twin Peaks was edited on videotape or not. The current dvd looks stunning--the episodes look just as good as they did on their original air dates. I do hope it was shot on film, however, because it deserves a blu treatment.
If I remember correctly, Paramount made an HD transfer when they released the series set a few years back. There's a handful of shots where there's push-ins or effects that were done on video (and weren't upgraded to 1080) but there's so few that it's not that big of a deal.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
MattH. said:
I was absolutely floored when I first saw the color releases of The Wild Wild West. That color was so rich and inviting, and on Blu-ray, those shows would be astounding. Of the B&W series, I think both The Untouchables and Perry Mason would knock our socks off. I don't see any of this happening, of course, but it's lots of fun to imagine.
I simply feel that once they give it a try, they'll find that people are interested. There's many classic shows that already have hi-def prints that are being shown on television, so they should start with those and see what happens. I note that the upcoming "Invisible Man" dvd is being offered with a blu-ray counterpart. Is this actually the first classic show that's being offered this way, out of the blue? (no pun intended). They should have been doing this all along. It would have been great if Paramount offered Perry Mason and the Untouchables as blu along with standard def. And yeah, for the record, there's at least two dozen shows that I'd gladly upgrade, were they to be offered :D

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Given how great The Prisoner looks I would like to see Danger Man in Blu Ray. It's all shot on film, and the early seasons especially look crisp as it is on DVD. The Saint is also a candidate. I also second Mission:Impossible, a show that seems like it was made for Blu Ray even though it aired almost 4 decades before the technology.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
It can't be a show that was shot on film and edited on videotape... other shows are going to suffer; shows like Dallas that were edited on videotape. I can't see Warners spending half a billion dollars gathering and restoring elements from all 350+ episodes.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think shows like Dallas were edited on tape for their entire run. I believe this show stared out as 100% "on-fil" and only moved to editing on tape sometime during the '80s. I remember reading an article about this in a British publication about how the BBC started getting viewer complaints about picture quality with later seasons, and the reason behind this was that in the earlier seasons, the BBC were given 35mm film prints to screen from and in later seasons, they were given tape masters. Now, true it's highly unlikely a studio would revisit a show like this since only a certain percentage of the episodes could be done "easily", but it's technically possible without having to take the risk of a ST: TNG-style project. Theoretically, earlier edited-on-film seasons of long-running shows like Dallas could be remastered for HD-TV broadcast airings (as broadcasters need real HD content instead of having to up-convert stuff--probably why Hawaii Five-O got a syndication remaster).
Space: 1999 Year two
No one has said yes or no to this, so it just as likely as it is unlikely we'll see it. I wouldn't count it as a no-go just yet. You never know, even if Network in the UK don't want it, A&E might feel there's enough demand to release it themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks