What's new

which one is better? (1 Viewer)

Phoenix

Agent
What is the difference between the regular pioneer cd players and the premier versions? I like the look of the premiers better, and the prices are similar per model. I am looking at DEH-P760MP on ebay. The Premier DEH-P7600MP seems to have similar features. Which one is better?
ALSO these head units say that they are compatable with steering wheel controls, when you add an external adaptor, whats the deal with this? doesnt EVERY head unit hook up to wheel controls with the adaptor?

[EDIT]

After some research, these are the head units that I am looking at in my price range (on ebay)

Sony CDX-M8800 http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-9vjCVADG...700&I=158M8800

Panasonic CQ-C8300U http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...noreRedirect=1

Pioneer DEH-P760 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...891888,00.html

Pioneer Premier DEH-P760MPhttp://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...496597,00.html

Clarion DXZ745MP http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/i...oduct=DXZ745MP

What are your opinions on these units? Any other suggestions are welcome, but I want to stay under $200 US on ebay.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
I can only comment on the Pioneers:

Premier is interfaced with a steering wheel remote. The other is a card remote (my preference as I wouldn't be fond of any clutter on the wheel). Come to think of it, why do we need remotes for our decks that are within reach? Maybe for the stealth install?

Premier is a two year warranty versus a one year warranty for non-premier. Dunno' about the benefit of that...

Ironically enough, the non-premier has an auto sound levelling function while the premier does not.

I'd go with the non-premier and use the saved money on the intall kit.

Jason

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator
What it's suppose to be, is Premier is suppose to be Pioneer's higher end stuff. I've seen and used both before, they don't really make too much difference to me. And I can't think of a reason to justify the increase in the price. If it was me, I'd rather spend a littl ebit more cash and get a eclipse or even and alpine.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
After more research, Premier lines are more "hands-on" in fabrication approach while the non-premier is "mass-produced".

Mass production has served me well in the past. Still don't see a benefit, other than the gee-wiz factor.

Jason

StephenHa

Second Unit
the panasonic and clairion are both great units, I used to compete with a panasonic head unit (sound quality) so they are a nice one, when I tried with a pioneer I could never get the sound right, and sony is buying the car audio from another company, and tends to be low quality

ClarkeMagnum

Auditioning
In my listening experiences....

1. Eclipse
2. Nakamichi
3. Alpine
4. Pioneer
5. Clarion

2,3, and 4 are all very close...

Difference in the Pioneer Premier/non premier stuff is mostly cosmetic junk...other than the higher pre-out voltage on the premier's

Save your money and get an Eclipse....beat everything hands down in my opinion...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I think my Alpine is pretty good quality wise but I know there HAS to be something better for the same price or maybe a little more. The navigation and controls are kinda screwy when driving stick in the city. ;P Thanks for the Eclipse recommendation, it'll probably be my next receiver.

My brother has a "regular" Pioneer, I used to have one as well, and imo they don't sound that good.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Question for you all:

If you only run external amps and run flat eqs (i.e. no bass or treble boost on the deck), how does one transport sound noticabley better than another?

How does an Eclipse sound better than an Alpine, etc in a car environment when all deck variable are factored out (external amp, no tonal controls, etc)?

Is it the DACs? I understand the whole signal chain theory and I know that this is previlant in home audio as far as one transport sounding better than another. I just wonder how noticable this really is in a car environment.

BTW, I second the Eclipse recommnedation over the others, if only for the clean deck face.

Jason

Phoenix

Agent
I plan to use a seperate amp to run my speakers. From what Ive seen, the alpine and eclipse units are out of my price range. Im a college student so I dont have lots of money to throw around. Ive got an older sony deck that I got for free but it doesnt have the sound quality that im looking for. I am looking for 5v pre outs for each channel, with mp3/wma/cd-r capabilities. A good EQ and nice features like that are important too. Are there any other brands in adition to alpine and eclipse that I should look at?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks