What's new

Which is brighter, 3802 or 950? (1 Viewer)

Robin Casady

Agent
I just added an Outlaw 770 amp and use a Denon 3802 as a pre. The amp made a difference in clarity, but I think I'd like a warmer sound. I'm on the list for a 950, but I'm concerned about whether the 950 might be even brighter than the 3802? Can anyone tell me how the 950 and 3802 compare in brightness? How would they compare in other aspects?

The speakers in this setup are:

Mains: NHT 2.5i

Center: NHT AudioCenter2

Surrounds: 2 pr. NHT 1.5

Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I would guess that the brightness of the receiver absolutely pales in comparison to the brightness of your room and the brightness of your speakers.

The skeptic in me would predict that 99 times out of 100 when people hear a system that sounds too bright it is because of room acoustics, the volume being higher than the "less bright" alternative being compared, a revealing recording, or ear fatigue. The remaining one time out of 100 it's due to the speakers.

--Steve

Robin Casady

Agent
Before the Denon 3802 I had a Pioneer 26TX (that died). The 26TX seemed less bright than the 3802 with the same room, same speakers, and a variety of volumes.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Denon receivers have typically been regarded as being warm in the past, but recently I've seen comments from several people that the newer receivers (particularly the 3802 and 2802) are actually a bit on the bright side. That said, the 950 has been described for the most part as being very accurate and revealing, so although it shouldn't add brightness it probably won't tame any existing brightness in your system by adding warmth, either.

Although room accoustics can certainly play a large role in a sound system sounding bright, I don't think I would agree that room accoustic alone count for 99% of brightness. Some speakers are most certainly warmer or more laid back, while others might tend more towards being bright. Also, what sounds bright to one person may be considered accurate or forward to another person. Much of it is personal opinion. After speakers, I think amps and processors can affect the brightness/warmth of the sound to a less extent, amps more than processors.

So to sum up, if your system is currently too bright, then the pre/pro is probably not the place to be looking to solve this problem.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yea, anyone who give you a flat answer to this is wrong. There are far too many variables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brian13mt
Recent bookmarks