What's new

Which HDTV to buy? (1 Viewer)

John VonThaden

Auditioning
I just moved into a new apartment and am looking to get a new CRT TV. Mostly, I'm a DVD watcher looking to get a 480p display.

I had been thinking about a 30" 16x9 set (I still might be able to get a Philips at a decent price) or a 32" 4x3 set (I see Panasonic and Toshiba have readily avaliable models, also might be able to get the discontinued Samsung TXM3296HF at a good price).

Does anyone have any comments on these tvs (especially the Samsung)? I'm looking for some good advice! Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
John, I don't know about those models, but seeing that you watch mostly DVD's, you should definitely get a 16:9 set. I saw a Philips 30" or 34" at Walmart that looked great. You should also check at Avsforum.com they have a section just for CRT TV's.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'd second the opinion to cross the 4:3 set off your list. To put it snidely, why would you buy an HD tv that looks its worst in HD and its best in SD? It's like buying an audio system because it looks good instead of sounds good. :D

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I had recently bought the Philips pw 850h 30" HD ready, and am extremely pleased with this unit...
You may get some crap cause it's not HDMI, but it has 4 modes, 2 sets of component, 2 s vid, and produces a quality picture, even if you don't have HD programming.
I usually use the auto mode for watching tv, but it has multiple screen modes, wide, superwide, 4:3, caption mode, etc...
It's probably an even lower price now, than when I bought, what with all the interest in lcd and plasma, but I feel like I got an extremely good value as it is.
Edit:
Here's my orig post on this bad mofo
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=180175

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I have a 4:3/16:9 mode Sony 36XBR800 and I am very pleased with it. bought over a year ago new for $1100

as for its worst in HD, well I am yet to see it and I like having both. was not my first choice but I do like having both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks